High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

I updated the first post with some information I recieved from an user via PM. Seems like the texture nerf is being applied on the RemoteRenderer.dll.

I doubt it. They have no way of knowing whats in the dll. Its all in machine code. Unless they found some way to understand it.

As such it is very hard to 'read' DLL files as the actual functional code is machine code. In order to read the source code you would have to attempt to reverse-engineer the machine code

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, to be honest the file is something like 3690 pages on machine binary code. You owuld need to disassemble it with a disassembler, and even then you would need to know what it was coded in and need the source code.

If i were you guys i would just leave it alone. They will answer when they answer.

For each passing day I'm losing faith in the once great Bioware, I reckon ME3 will be their last good (and dumbed down) game. Never have I been so pissed at such a decipicble action as the one where they think they can lie to their fanbase and get away with it. I am of course talking about the texture option change. I for one will not be subbing on the 20th. The funny thing is. I've hyped this game so much it's not eve nfunny. I even bought the worthless CE to "support" my favorite company. I know patience is important to have and I have it but Bioware avoiding an issue this big and trying to implent some sort of bad sneakfix is just a no go for me.

For each passing day I'm losing faith in the once great Bioware, I reckon ME3 will be their last good (and dumbed down) game. Never have I been so pissed at such a decipicble action as the one where they think they can lie to their fanbase and get away with it. I am of course talking about the texture option change. I for one will not be subbing on the 20th. The funny thing is. I've hyped this game so much it's not eve nfunny. I even bought the worthless CE to "support" my favorite company. I know patience is important to have and I have it but Bioware avoiding an issue this big and trying to implent some sort of bad sneakfix is just a no go for me.

A sad possible reality indeed.

Here too. C'mon BW, we'll be placated if you can 1) tell us the reasoning and the issues and treat us like adults, and 2) truthfully assure us that you still intend to implement the Hi-Res tex as part of regular gameplay.

Many of us shelled out $$$ for new hardware in anticipation of this release; as it is, my old Vid Card would have done fine for the current tex listed as "high". Please don't tell me that was all for naught ...

What really cooks my goose is that SW:TOR ran fine in beta on my rig

Intel Core 2 duo E8500 wolfdale @ 3.16 GHz

4 Gig OCZ ram

P5Q asus Mobo with the P45 chipset

850W PSU

Nvidia GTX 260 GPU

and this was with the high resolution and AA before they removed that.

Then, to be sure i could run it well on my 1900*1200 screen i bought the GTX 560 ti and installed.

Release day came and went, i got the game only to be surprised by the fact that there was now no AA, no high resolution, my FPS acting all funny and generally it seems like Bioware released a beta client from a year ago instead of the game i played on the beta weekends.

Where is *that* game? the one that ran smoothly and had ri-rez textures so my char didn't look like a turd after a heavy rainfall?

And where are you, Bioware?

No comment, no ETA on a patch after countless threads and posts. Only the notorious Bioware Crickets chirping in the background.

This issue, coupled with the abysmal customer service and ticket handling was the last straw for me.

The fact that they try to ninja "fix" the problem by declaring "medium" to be the new "high" on the test server made me chuckle. Then I hit the unsuscribe button.

Your subscription has been cancelled.

You have 16 days of play time remaining. When your play time runs out, you will no longer be able to play. Please sign up for a recurring subscription plan or redeem a Game Time Code.

Thank you Bioware for making the decision so easy for me.

I don't understand the problem with graphics. I've got the graphics on high and maximum resolution. Of course, I've got a NASA specced PC too that I bought right before this game came out. Now the entire rest of this game is terrible to me. So bad that I don't think it can be redeemed by a patch, or series of patches.

It really is sad to see that BioWare silently dropped High Resolution textures from the game, and then silently pretended that Medium resolution was High resolution.

I'm sure they had a valid reason of some sort for not releasing the game with high resolution textures enabled, but trying to mislead your paying customers in this way is unacceptable when you won't even acknowledge what you have done, even though it's painfully obvious to everyone.

I hear too many that are unsubscribing over this, not because of the lack of better graphics, but because of the way they are being treated by BioWare on this, and other issues... with a wall of silence.

I know that BioWare cannot answer every single thread that is out there. But some of the major issues tend to gather up in massive threads and there really is no excuse to not comment on something I'd go so far as to call a scam.

I don't understand the problem with graphics. I've got the graphics on high and maximum resolution. Of course, I've got a NASA specced PC too that I bought right before this game came out. Now the entire rest of this game is terrible to me. So bad that I don't think it can be redeemed by a patch, or series of patches.

Graphics are worse than in WoW, which is feat of its own when thinking WoW's age, because of muddy low-res textures on players, NPC's and world when outside of the conversations. On top of lack of proper eye candy will 1.1 **** many 50's over because they play on low-pop server or most of players level slow => no PvP and most likely they can't do FP's or Ops. anyway.

So yeah, what fun is had in SWTOR? Rolling 20 alts is not for everyone.

Edited by Tavarish

Bioware is certainly losing my respect for their 'handling' of this issue.

Given the length of time this has been complained about (beta...), and the sheer number of players who know full and damn well that Medium isn't High, the silence from BW is inexcusable.

We deserve an answer.

Bioware, when are you going to release a statement concerning this problem. Altough it is not a gamebreaking feature in the age of Quantum Computers and Robots on Mars i like to know why the game has the high textures disabled? In cutscenes they are clearly enabled and outside back to medium... What is the point of this and is there a way around this without downloading a 10Gb patch. My fast computer is patiently awaiting your answer.

Greetings

What really cooks my goose is that SW:TOR ran fine in beta on my rig

Intel Core 2 duo E8500 wolfdale @ 3.16 GHz

4 Gig OCZ ram

P5Q asus Mobo with the P45 chipset

850W PSU

Nvidia GTX 260 GPU

and this was with the high resolution and AA before they removed that.

Then, to be sure i could run it well on my 1900*1200 screen i bought the GTX 560 ti and installed.

Release day came and went, i got the game only to be surprised by the fact that there was now no AA, no high resolution, my FPS acting all funny and generally it seems like Bioware released a beta client from a year ago instead of the game i played on the beta weekends.

Where is *that* game? the one that ran smoothly and had ri-rez textures so my char didn't look like a turd after a heavy rainfall?

And where are you, Bioware?

Hilarious isn't it?

They have a pretty solid Beta client (performance wise) but manage to TOTALLY SCREW IT before release.

Bioware is so full of fail atm.

I remember back in beta the high resolution options were eliminated because they made the client unstable and caused lots of unknown crash issues. When they were removed we expected them to be put back in at some point and towards the end of beta we were reassured that "they were still there and just temporarily disabled". Clearly they were just never able to fix the problem and tossed them.

Supposedly some of the cutscenes still use the high resolution textures and they are now reserved completely for that.

I don't know if I buy the whole some of the cutscenes still have them, any character wearing any gear looks way better the minute they click on the mission deck of their ship.

So at the very least, all the character models still have high res textures in game somewhere.

Also the space missions, they all have high resolution textures, don't believe me? equip something like republic dancer outfit (which is very easy to tell when its using high res textures as it is red/gold instead of very very pale pink).

Start a space mission, about 60 seconds before it is due to finish alt-f4 out and then log back in and then in to your character, your ship will be sitting at 'the end' just flying around in space with your character standing on top, and look closely, it's in high resolution textures just like the rest of the space stuff is. No muddy stuff there.

This is the final straw, between locking level 50 pve and pvp gear armoring slots thus making us all look like clones and voiding their own orange gear system. The HUGHE negliance on Biowares part with the credit exploit bug, and now trying to cheat their customers by moving medium textures and call them high.

And finally deleting posts bumping a thread like this one.....seriously never seen a gaming company showing such blatant disrespect for their customers.

Edited by Rheemus

Soooooo how about a reply now Bioware. How many does it take to get a cs response to your customers. You previewed a game w/high textures. I bought the game....where's the game you advertised?

Really the reason I'm getting more upset is simply the fact your ignoring your customers and the issue.

It's time to get a statement out about this.

Mad? Yeah, I'm mad bro.

PS: IF YOU PREVIEW YOUR GEAR ON YOUR COMPANION, IT IS IN HIGH REZ. SWITCH BACK ON YOUR CHARACTER AND IT'S MUDDY LOL. SO NOW I PREVIEW ALL GEAR ON MY COMPANIONS MODEL.

The difference is mind boggling on the textures!

Edited by WarheartZero

PS: IF YOU PREVIEW YOUR GEAR ON YOUR COMPANION, IT IS IN HIGH REZ. SWITCH BACK ON YOUR CHARACTER AND IT'S MUDDY LOL. SO NOW I PREVIEW ALL GEAR ON MY COMPANIONS MODEL.

Yet another proof that textures are in the game, just some intern forgot to turn on the toggle...

No comment, no ETA on a patch after countless threads and posts. Only the notorious Bioware Crickets chirping in the background.

This issue, coupled with the abysmal customer service and ticket handling was the last straw for me.

The fact that they try to ninja "fix" the problem by declaring "medium" to be the new "high" on the test server made me chuckle. Then I hit the unsuscribe button.

Your subscription has been cancelled.

You have 16 days of play time remaining. When your play time runs out, you will no longer be able to play. Please sign up for a recurring subscription plan or redeem a Game Time Code.

Thank you Bioware for making the decision so easy for me.

the sneaky way they handled this is what really disappoints me and deals a huge blow in the confidence i had in this company,

its in the patch notes that AA is added so why is it not that all the medium options have been removed,

this shows a complete lack of respect for customers as they seem to think that we are all idiots and won't notice the changes or that we are all sheep and won't complain.

i think i will take the same approach as dooplex and cancel my 3 months recurring subscription for the time being, i still have 2 weeks of free time left, so i'll wait and see.