Stacking strength for leveling sage?

Al_Sparagus

Right now I am a level 11 sage, the vast majority of my damage seems to be coming from double swipe....does this hold true later on?

Is it suggestible to keep two kits, one for questing and the other for groupind/healing?

Planning on putting 5 points into telekinetics and the rest into seer.

Right now I am a level 11 sage, the vast majority of my damage seems to be coming from double swipe....does this hold true later on?

Is it suggestible to keep two kits, one for questing and the other for groupind/healing?

Planning on putting 5 points into telekinetics and the rest into seer.

nope, and i'm surprised you are mainly using double strike...

And just to clarify, the two swing saber ability is a big one up until you choose Sage as your Advanced Class. Now that your a sage you can cast spells from way further out. Also you begin to get opening dots, ect.

Willpower is the most important stack, when gearing it is important to pick the item with most Willpower (this doesn't men if this item will give you +2 willpower at the cost of 10 endurance you should switch it). General rule of thumb is if it is light armor + willpower + higher rating = equip it whether or not you lose 1-2 willpower by gaining 6-8 endurance. Rating is your best rule of thumb, but on a side note the Light armor gear with defense and stuff on it, I personally don't equip it... I have but only for huge upgrades.

and double strike before picking sage advanced is perfectly viable.

Edited by Aerojinx

Willpower doesn't affect Sage melee, by developer design.

You might want to check again. Hover over your bonus damage (melee and force) and you will see that while strength will help on melee, willpower is there also and counts just as much as strength. This means that if you have 100 str or 100 willpower you get the same benefit on your melee attacks, however if you have 100 str, it gives you nothing for your force attacks which are a key part of even the consular shadow AC. I play the counterpart class, the SI Assassin and if my shock and stuff were not doing much because I focused on str, I would be severely gimped.

EDIT: Originally, the other stats like str for SI/Consular did make a difference in melee but iirc the August release removed that and you only needed to focus on one main stat for your base class and it was the same regardless of AC and spec

Edited by Kriegen

On Tython, you spam Double Strike because there's nothing else. For the first few levels after choosing your advanced class, you are picking up the new capabilities that make you something different.

You should try to get in the mindset of being a ranged class. You can hit stuff from 30m away now, and ideally you want to kill things before they get into melee range.

Double Strike won't keep pace with your Force abilities, because as noted Willpower doesn't buff it, Force Power doesn't buff it, your talents don't buff it, and there is no light armor or quest reward gear with Strength bonuses.

You might want to check again. Hover over your bonus damage (melee and force) and you will see that while strength will help on melee, willpower is there also and counts just as much as strength. This means that if you have 100 str or 100 willpower you get the same benefit on your melee attacks

You are incorrect. Despite being the "primary" stat for Consulars, Willpower does not add to the melee damage bonus for Sages, and Georg Zoeller confirmed during beta that this is intentional.

Until you choose your advanced class, Willpower *does* increase melee damage. Once you choose Sage, however, you lose that contribution.

Edited by LagunaD

If you wish to continue to melee, split your gear between Str/Wil. You will do less damage from ranged but increase your melee damage.

You can still continue to use Saber Strike/Double Strike with Strength. Just understand your sacrificing your main ranged abilities.

You might want to check again. Hover over your bonus damage (melee and force) and you will see that while strength will help on melee, willpower is there also and counts just as much as strength. This means that if you have 100 str or 100 willpower you get the same benefit on your melee attacks, however if you have 100 str, it gives you nothing for your force attacks which are a key part of even the consular shadow AC. I play the counterpart class, the SI Assassin and if my shock and stuff were not doing much because I focused on str, I would be severely gimped.

EDIT: Originally, the other stats like str for SI/Consular did make a difference in melee but iirc the August release removed that and you only needed to focus on one main stat for your base class and it was the same regardless of AC and spec

You're right in that we used to have "secondary" stats for each class, but as Laguna said, the developers removed Willpower's ability to buff Melee for Sages/Sorcs on purpose. By design we are the ONLY AC in the game whose primary stat does not buff all aspects of our class. This was done to eliminate theorycraft of Melee Hybrid Sages and force them stay at range and kite, as how the developers intended the class to be played. The tooltip might very well say otherwise, but if so, it's flat out wrong and should be bug ticketed.

You're right in that we used to have "secondary" stats for each class, but as Laguna said, the developers removed Willpower's ability to buff Melee for Sages/Sorcs on purpose. By design we are the ONLY AC in the game whose primary stat does not buff all aspects of our class. This was done to eliminate theorycraft of Melee Hybrid Sages and force them stay at range and kite, as how the developers intended the class to be played. The tooltip might very well say otherwise, but if so, it's flat out wrong and should be bug ticketed.

The tooltip is correct (it shows no melee damage bonus from Willpower).

It is not entirely true that "we are the only AC in the game whose primary stat does not buff all aspects of our class". The primary stat does not buff healing for non-healing ACs. E.g. Shadows get no force healing bonus from Willpower.

The tooltip is correct (it shows no melee damage bonus from Willpower).

It is not entirely true that "we are the only AC in the game whose primary stat does not buff all aspects of our class". The primary stat does not buff healing for non-healing ACs. E.g. Shadows get no force healing bonus from Willpower.

Well if you really wanted to get nitpicky about that comment, then technically no main stat for any class affects surge either. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't really have called Healing an aspect of the Shadow class as they have no devoted healing abilities available to them.