Promoting Community Fan Sites In-Game - Bannable offence?

AshleyR

Hopefully I can get an answer to this question from a mod or customer service rep on this one.

Every day the server forums over at my website are growing and for it to continue to grow and reach out to players on each server, my current members need to tell other players on there server that a community exists for them.

The obvious way to do this would be via the General Chat channel just like the guilds use for recruitment. However I would like to be certain that advertising a community website in-game isn't considered spam and possibly a bannable offence? When I say advertising, I mean just a message once or twice a day, not spamming it every few minutes.

It seems the most obvious and easiest way to reach out to the community for that particular server but I want to be 1000% sure that no one will get in trouble for it.

I have heard from other people that players have been banned for advertising a community website in-game and this worries me. Is this possible?

I would think it should only be a bannable offense if you are profiting from it through ads or anything else. If it is a just a community site, with the intent of providing a helpful resource for other players, I don't see anything wrong with that.

I would think it should only be a bannable offense if you are profiting from it through ads or anything else. If it is a just a community site, with the intent of providing a helpful resource for other players, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Thing is almost all the big community sites have ads. That's how we survive.

Running a big website can become expensive if you are paying out of your own pocket for it every month.

Hey there!

We just wanted to reach out and let you know that you are more than welcome to create a thread here in Community about your site with the intent of sharing it with others and drawing attention to it.

Thanks!

Okay, thanks.

So, from what I gather, it's best to just link to your thread on swtor.com that advertises your fansite.

Hey there!

We just wanted to reach out and let you know that you are more than welcome to create a thread here in Community about your site with the intent of sharing it with others and drawing attention to it.

Thanks!

Thanks for the response! However I was more looking for an answer to sharing it with people in-game? Through such methods as mentioning it in the General Chat channel?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the response! However I was more looking for an answer to sharing it with people in-game? Through such methods as mentioning it in the General Chat channel?

Thanks again.

They answered it by not really answering it at all. They're saying you can type the address to your swtor.com thread in chat (normal chat rules apply, no spam..), but they don't want outside web addresses in game chat.

Took me a minute to read between the lines; you know you can't expect a direct answer here. :(

Thing is almost all the big community sites have ads. That's how we survive.

Running a big website can become expensive if you are paying out of your own pocket for it every month.

Yes but you're not putting those ads out in general chat. Promoting a community website is just fine, don't worry about it. You simply share the name of the site with people. Just don't make it look like cash selling, or else people will start putting you on Ignore.

And yes, linking to a thread on these forums is a lot better than linking to any third party site.

Edited by Zoroth

Yes but you're not putting those ads out in general chat. Promoting a community website is just fine, don't worry about it.

He was already told by an OFFICAL source to do it on the forums.

That means DONT do it in game. The reason? Its not only spam, its spamming to something that will make money because of the advertisements AND because Bioware has no control over the site which could contain viruses/malware/keyloggers.

It sucks, but its the smart thing for Bioware to do.

OP, Create a thread on these forums about the site, point people ingame to THAT.

I'm so disapointed about this, Bioware refuse to suppoort server forums then the public have pay and support these services then the icing on the cake is that they dont allow us to advertise our sites ingame.

Just feel they aren't helping servers have their own community.

It is a bit lame because the URL to a thread on these forums is longer and more cumbersome than just pointing them to a site URL. And since chat is not copyable less people are likely to make the effort, the longer the URL is. :p

Unless chat is copyable and I missed it?