How SWTOR killed WoW.

Tortoises

This is from MMO Champion in may.

WoW Loses 600k Subscribers, Diablo 3 Beta Q3 2011, Arena Passe, Blue Posts

WoW Lost 600k Subscribers, down to 11.4M

Activision Blizzard's earning call was today and we learned, among other things, that the WoW playerbase is down to 11.4M players. That's 5% less than before the expansion and it seems that players went through the Cataclysm content faster than expected.

Blizzard also promised faster release of new content and expansions during the call.

From Curse.com

During today's Activision Blizzard earnings call, World of Warcraft and its expansion Cataclysm were two very hot topics. Listeners asked a number of questions related to the game, more than any other title or franchise in the publisher's stable.

Of note, World of Warcraft's subscriber base has reached pre-Cataclysm levels, according to Mike Morhaime, CEO of Blizzard Entertainment. He then later stated an actual number, with subscriptions at the end of March clocking in at right around 11.4 million.

That's down by about 5% from the announced 12 million mark late last year. Interestingly enough, that was right before Cataclysm released. In fact, it's actually lower than the milestone reached in 2008 with the release of Wrath of the Lich King.

But one important thing to point out, and Mr. Morhaime touched on this as well, is that World of Warcraft's subscriber base does not change linearly. It fluctuates based on content consumption, which players seem to be doing a whole lot of -- at a more rapid pace -- with Cataclysm. "Subscriber levels have decreased faster than previous expansions," he said.

Surprising? Not really. We have to remember that when these numbers were pulled, Cataclysm was in a bit of a lull. The expansion had been out for close to four months, and most of its content had been consumed by a large percentage of the player base -- aside from heroic raids.

Published on 2011-05-10 06:01 AM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea, nor do I care, how many subs WoW has right now.

But it hasnt dropped down to this games sub numbers or it would be everywhere.

HAhah thank you. you just owned the OP. :D

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think SWTOR did more damage than "Mists of Pandaria" announcement did, then you are insane.

No game is killing WoW.

WoW is.

Statement as old as WoW itself.

Swtor did nothing that Blizzard hadn't already done to itself.

FYI community managers ran a poll and what race would be the most requested. The Pandarians won hands down. the next race was at 8 or 9 percent and they were at 80+ in a very large poll. I personally voted Naga but the storyline they have for the Pandarians is an interesting one, so i personally cannot wait to try out the new content.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/925/925099p1.html

Lineage 2 peak at 19 million worldwide. (Above)

Titan to be unveiled at 2012 Blizzcon. (Below)

http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/28/analyst-predicts-titan-unveil-for-blizzcon/

Largets MMO ever. Has 10 times the sub numbers of WoW. Let me repeat has 10 times the sub numbers of WoW:

http://digitrends.proferochina.com/index.php/tag/farmville/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Farm

They get around 23 million users DAILY!!

Just thought I'd clear some things up. Continue discussion.

Dude, that's "customer reach of more than 19 million players worldwide." Which is very different from subscriber.

As far as subscribers goes:

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

http://mmodata.blogspot.com/

You'll see that Lineage 2 was at 800kish subs in 2009 and going downwards.

I still don't get why pandarien are blowing people's minds. like people can't comprehend a panda race.. are people stupid?

The thing about Pandaren is that they were originally an Aprils Fools joke that Blizzard ran just before Warcraft 3 was released, where they were shown to be the 4th or 5th race I believe. The art assets from the joke were put into the game as the Pandaren Monk and this mini campaign for the Beastmaster.

So now they've taken this Aprils Fools joke and actually made the entire expansion about the guys.

Personally I think it's pretty awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do with it.

Wait until the end of January when the WoW accounts that were cancelled on - or just after SWTOR released (late December) are actually disabled. The accounts just don't renew, they're still active until that particular account's subscription date comes up.

So basically - there's a lot of double dipping in the numbers and many of those are going away from WoW within the month.

I think most people that are tired with WoW cancelled a long time ago. Most people I know cancelled around Feb/March as by then Cata had nothing more to give.

Edited by Zironic

I still don't get why pandarien are blowing people's minds. like people can't comprehend a panda race.. are people stupid?

I also never understood the hate for Pandaren. What is so different about them compared to Tauren, Worgen or fat Twileks?

And while I would not participate much in it, I think the whole Pokemon thing is a rather smart way to use the large virtual world the build up over the years for something more long-lasting than Archaeology or holocron hunting.

Well I do have some interesting stats to post for you guys.

As of now, SWTOR activity is on the rise, and WoW activity is on the decline

But WoW is still ahead.

In the morning, SWTOR activity is slightly higher, but WoW passes SWTOR as the day goes on.

But WoW is falling, now behind CoD4 and League of Legends... by a lot.

Expect SWTOR to be on top soon enough.

Thank you for contributing these stats.

I'll just file them away with the other random, made-up "WoW is dying" comments.

And you are right.

SWTOR will be on top soon. Everyone bought their copies and are waiting to activate them after the first month.

This explains why SWTOR dropped in sales like a landslide in the UK.

Edited by Tiaa

"At which point you have to go grind boars, killing them over and over, and they don't always drop a tusk so you are actually led into sitting and grinding some boring boar character for about an hour. Then you go turn your quest in and get an item that has no value to you, and move on to the next quest of a similar nature."

I always picked up the most expensive item, usually plate or a double handed weapon and sold them to NPCs.

Why does a press release from MARCH OF 2011 have anything to do with current WoW subscriber levels?

That's almost a year old! 10 months and 1 day OLD to be exact.

Top it off with all the people who left after learning about the Panda Bear expansion, and now the people who left to come to SWTOR, and I guarantee you have a totally different picture!

Edited by al_giordino

Op the only new thing swtor brought to the table was the interactive questing..You know the one that a lot of people are spacebar thru.

Here is what swtor has

dated graphics

A ui that has zero customizing

little to no lfg system

long load times and tons of them

a targeting system that is lacking key items like target of target window

zero macro system

zero appearance system

Yep swtor is such a innovative game!

Oh go ahead and tell me go back to wow...Because i never left it or rift or eq2.. I still play them. Its a sad when a player feels the need to hate other games to boost there one and only. Maybe if players would play more than one mmo they have a little better perspective!

All of those things you posted are LIGHT in the argument department. And 90% of it is your own opnion. The other 10% is your computer's obvious need of upgrades or cleaning or adjusting.

Swtor IS INNOVATIVE, and in case you were wondering:

in·no·va·tive/ˈinəˌvātiv/

Adjective:

(of a product, idea, etc.) Featuring new methods; advanced and original.

(of a person) Introducing new ideas; original and creative in thinking: "an innovative thinker".

You are boasting you want innovation, but you are demanding MMO features from another game, this by definition is NOT innovative.

Edited by djsmileey

Well I do have some interesting stats to post for you guys.

As of now, SWTOR activity is on the rise, and WoW activity is on the decline

But WoW is still ahead.

In the morning, SWTOR activity is slightly higher, but WoW passes SWTOR as the day goes on.

But WoW is falling, now behind CoD4 and League of Legends... by a lot.

Expect SWTOR to be on top soon enough.

This reads like a really verbose fortune cookie.

10 million people paying 15 dollars a month is dead? I want a business that is dead then!

Most of that number are Chinese players who do not pay a monthly subscription fee but pay absolute peanuts per hour of play and even 1 hour of play logged per month counts as an active subscription even though it gives blizzard next to no money.

Sorry, but WoW's numbers are FAR less the most people believe.

Include north america and europe only to get the real subscription numbers, and by the time you do that you are down to around 3 million.

SWTOR is well on its way to passing that number.

If and when WoW dies it will be because of itself and not likely to be any 1 game.

Ive played WoW since nilla and Ive played it at a hard core level since BC. Ive killed on a variety of toons every single boss and HM in raiding since BC.

WoW + SWTOR killed WoW for ME personally. Im not fond of the direction the game is going. Im all for making a raid that casuals can enjoy and tbh I felt LFR was a good idea...for the casuals. The dumbing down of the raids in general for the NON casuals really chinced it for me. I didnt do much else in WoW because there wasnt much else to do. I logged on to raid on raid nites then forgot about the game until the next raid nite.

WoW had an opportunity to do something big with Cata and they missed it. Graphically we got slightly cooler spell effects and...water? Game play wise we got.......?

People claiming game X or game Y will kill WoW should rephrase it... Those games killed WoW for THEM...and ultimately....You are the only player that matters in your world.

I canceled my accnt for the first time since I started playing 3 months into WoW launch. Im going to be playing this for at least 3 months to give it a chanc eto shake the bugs out and get a feel for it. Im hoping for good things....if not then there is always "The Secret World" coming down the pipe at long last.

Most of that number are Chinese players who do not pay a monthly subscription fee but pay absolute peanuts per hour of play and even 1 hour of play logged per month counts as an active subscription even though it gives blizzard next to no money.

This point has been covered. Should probably read the entirety of the thread before cherrypicking a post to hammer.

This post will live in enfamy when SWTOR is F2P in a year and WoW makes a killing off of MoP, because we all know even if you left wow and vowed to never return, every expansion the servers are full and everyone is there for atleast a month or two.

This post will live in enfamy when SWTOR is F2P in a year and WoW makes a killing off of MoP, because we all know even if you left wow and vowed to never return, every expansion the servers are full and everyone is there for atleast a month or two.

^ This.

Most of WoW"s community (in fact, -ALL- of it) is currently either actively playing or is currently subscribed to WoW. I predict that WoW's community will continue to play WoW in the foreseeable future.

HAHAHA, now that made me laugh! Thank goodness for some levity in this thread.

Oh...wait...you were serious...

:eek:

To be fair, I quit WoW prior to Cata's release (just got bored - six years is a really good run for an MMO though). I won't be back for MoP. Yes, their numbers peak after expansions and major content patches, but I really do think the game is just getting old. Not 'AMGZ TOR RUBS WOW'S FACE IN THE FECAL MATTER!!1!' old, but more 'meh, it had a good run, time to find something new and shiny' old.

Also SWTOR has story and delivery, but as far as the actual quests go, they are nowhere near the level of quests delivered in Cataclysm, WotLK, and even BC. They're as good as WoW Vanilla quests, maybe.

Kill, collect, find.

I have yet to encounter anything else.