The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Great game no MMO

Boggwhoppit

Yes i can say what i think is a MMO as it it my opinion

Actually it's a definable term that has specific basic requisites that make a game an MMO

Those requisites usually entail a massive number of people online simultaneously in a persistent world and the ability to group and complete objectives with that group of people.

The key part of these requisites is the term "persistent world", meaning after you log off the game world continues to exist where as games like MW, Counter Strike, ect... once the match ends the world ends.

Beyond this the rest of what defines an MMO varies but most definitions you find around the internet are going to give you the same basic concepts of an MMO.

Massive-Multiplayer

Persistent World

Massive generally does not refer to the size of the game, but the number of people able to play simultaneously on any given world or server, or can refer to the entirety of the player population.

SWTOR meets and exceeds all of these basic requirements btw.

Edited by HavenAE

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and usually feature at least one persistent world. They are, however, not necessarily games played on personal computers. Most of the newer game consoles, including the PSP, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS and Wii can access the Internet and may therefore run MMO games. Additionally, mobile devices and smartphones based on such operating systems as Android, iOS and Windows Phone are seeing an increase in the number of MMO games available.

MMOGs can enable players to cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale, and sometimes to interact meaningfully with people around the world. They include a variety of gameplay types, representing many video game genres.

As found in the dictionary.

Lets see

multiplayer - check

online - check

game - check

persistant world - check

Seems to me like it fits all the requirments to be an MMO. Thanks for playing, have a great night.

*for funsies* Counter-strike

Multiplayer - check

online - check

game - check

persistant world - fail

This. I actually group more in TOR while levelling than in WoW.

Same here, other then the WoW part... don't play that.

SWTOR I think has found the right balance between solo and group content. There's plenty of it out there, and none of it's to hard to get to, or into. But none of it seems to be required or forced upon me.

If they remove the MMO from the equation, will it be OK then?

They can call it whatever they want, it doesn't change what the game is. It's a persistent online world, thus it's an MMO.

Edited by Miragee

So ok are far as you guyz care a MMO is a lot of players on the same game ish rofl damn no wonder the games are rubbish lol

Well if thats how you feel maybe when you get all growed up you can become a game designer and revolutionize the MMO industry.

But when you do, don't be surprised when a million little whiny prepubescent gamer nerds get on your games official forums and trash it non stop.

I wonder what would have happen if the just closed down the whole game because they were tired of all the BS that is on this forum :rolleyes:

Guys, make something with you life's instead of wasting your time with a game you don't like :)

How is it not an MMO? Most planets have two instances.

That hardly kills the population. And you can change to the more populace one if you want.

I run in groups all the time especially when I need heroic areas beat. I am in a guild with 50+ members who chat...a lot.

I run flash points in groups, every day.

So again...how is this NOT an MMO?

This is not and never will be a MMO

single player is great story and voice overs great multiplay nothing, a few flashpoints heroic a joke , pvp warzones boring and too few ,space combat none less you like starfox.

pvp zones boring and nothing for doing it .

so sorry but a sub for this game is a no no, if it was sold as single play fantastic MMO er nope.

UO, EQ , EVE and a lot more are MMOs , this is a good maybe great game but MMO nope (.

NEWSFLASH .. it already is an MMO

Massively Multiplayer Online!

you see all those people running around while you do your solo quests?

those are people similar to you playing their own toon

this game is and always will be an MMO

Not even close to a proper MMO. Sorry folks.

Again. Explain how this not a "proper mmo". You can't. Because it is.

This is the most ridiculous argument ever. Its like saying " BMW is not a 'proper automobile', I don't know what it is but it is definitely not an automobile."

I have news for you folks. The term MMO is already defined. You don;t get to define something that is already in popular use and well established as to what it means.

Edited by rakadisaprin

LOOK IVE WORKING IN DISTRIBUTION FOR YEARS

this isnt an MMO

its an ONLINE KOTOR co op operation thats fooling us all into paying a monthly subscription .. in 5 years time this could be a java face book log in.

its not got the fresh ideas that SWG had like a large planet "open" feel .. you cant group in large groups - in fact Ive found it really boring at 1 am when the servers are so EMPTY..

this isnt an MMO.. else they would have larger servers in the first place rather than small clusters

simple