The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Combat Tech or Eliminator

AnAcuteAngle

To me, the point of the 2x/_/18 build is to rail as hard and often as possible, so the 2 in AP gets a little lean. But I don't like giving up the 2-piece set bonus- Eliminator's improves a merc-only skill.

Also, if dual-spec comes in, Combat Tech is still awesome for a full-shield spec.

I suspect the actual results are close enough overall that it won't matter a whole lot either way.

I run Eliminator. I know we get nothing from the 2 set, but the 4 set is so yummy.

That's what I was thinking too. I can't get any damn gear from the stupid bags so I haven't actually bought anything yet, but Eliminator is what I've got my eye on.

The build works with either DPS or Tank gear and is pretty versatile either way. Someone was counting on getting Eliminator gear and then the Supercommando gear and swapping mods. Dude either has 100x better luck than I do or is in for a pretty big let down.

Edited by chainsawsamurai

Eliminator allows much more burst than Combat Tech because of the sheer boost to Rail Shot's crit. For me, 55% crit to RP or 70% crit it's still the same. Rail Shot is more available and can be used at range. Remember Flame Shield requires you get hit to refresh RP while PPA doesn't.

I have a question on the second build( I like The Rocketeer more than eliminator :p) anyway for leveling what do you guys suggest doing? I mostly am solo pveing it up for now but can't decide what best way to distribute points while leveling.. was thinking just going pyro till I had enough for 21 in shield tech and respec..

I have a question on the second build( I like The Rocketeer more than eliminator :p) anyway for leveling what do you guys suggest doing? I mostly am solo pveing it up for now but can't decide what best way to distribute points while leveling.. was thinking just going pyro till I had enough for 21 in shield tech and respec..

Leveling is an entirely different beast. I don't recommend anyone try ST/Pyro until they're 48. The build relies on talents deep in both trees to reach maximum effectiveness and it isn't even close without nearly a full build.

Pyro levels great. ST does awesome from about 25 until about 40. Either will be good enough to get you to 48ish.

Leveling is an entirely different beast. I don't recommend anyone try ST/Pyro until they're 48. The build relies on talents deep in both trees to reach maximum effectiveness and it isn't even close without nearly a full build.

Pyro levels great. ST does awesome from about 25 until about 40. Either will be good enough to get you to 48ish.

thanks for advice ill probably just stick to pyro for now :)

Do you think the burst on the Eliminator set is that worth it? I'm on the fence right now and bit put off about that option because one of your set bonuses do nothing for you. I might end up with Combat Tech as the reduce CD on our CCbreak ability and duration increase on carbonize makes it pretty appealing.