Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Chat bubbles please!

Chetiax

Please add chat bubbles, it's literally no chance to see what the other one is styping in /say when you either have eye to eye contact with them.

I've heard a lot of people telling me to make a thread about it, although i am sure of people have already done so. If there is another thread like this, please tell me so i can read through it and get some answers.

If not, i'd like someone to respond to this one and tell me why they haven't added it yet or of they never will.

Because reading the chat box is so hard?

It actually is pretty hard considering everything else from channel chat to loot gets posted in the chat box. You can argue that you can change colors or make a tab dedicated to /say only but in reality, not everyone is going to do that.

I always want to say hi to someone that takes a taxi with me and follows me the entire time until the end. Chances are, the other person is not going to see it through all the spam in his/her chat box.

I fully support the idea of chat bubbles - it'll make the community better.

Chat bubbles will add lag to the server, so I'm good w/out them :)

*laff ... uhm, ok. Sure. I guess by lag you mean all the new conversations people will actually be able to have with each other in passing? Yeah, you are right. But thats a good reason not to have them? What, you think this is a single player game or something?

Chat bubbles will add lag to the server, so I'm good w/out them :)
Chat bubbles wouldn't lag the server. The data that is sent when using them is practically the same as you already get the chat sent to the chat window. On slower machines, it could cause client-side lag, but if it's too much for your PC to handle or you don't like it, just toggle the chat bubble option off.

By the way, there is a longer thread about chat bubbles. If you want them, please support it by keeping it afloat with your feelings and comments on the issue:

Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

No, they aren't. They're standard for WoW and COH (based off a comic book).

MMO doesn't mean sandbox, doesn't mean revolutionary, doesn't mean it's WoW. MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online. I could say that wands are standard for the genre, doesn't mean they should be here.

No, they aren't. They're standard for WoW and COH (based off a comic book).

MMO doesn't mean sandbox, doesn't mean revolutionary, doesn't mean it's WoW. MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online. I could say that wands are standard for the genre, doesn't mean they should be here.

RIFT and Lord of the Rings Online also display chat over character's heads. I think that's it for relevant modern MMORPGs.

So yes, they are standard. Period.

Edited by carnac_fett

Chat bubbles please. I'd like to know what the people directly around my character are saying vs. what the guys across the room are talking about. As long as they can be toggled off, frankly I don't see the problem.

Yeah I almost always miss what people are 'saying'.

actually, it's not a bad idea. I tried to have a conversation with someone just passing by last night, and we had a heck of a time sorting through general spam to get through. then a third person joined and it all went to hell. It's be nice, particularly for rp'ers, to just have a conversation with the people around them.

MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online.

And what better way for people to realize other people are around them and trying to talk to them, then a little box above the head showing such?

Or, do you like playing MMO's in a myriad of IRC windows. All that graphical crap in the middle of the screen is just a nuisance. Why bother focusing your eyes on all that garbage when you have this little junky IRC window crammed into a corner to stare at and troll?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=41864

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=15839

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=118560

People want chat bubbles more then those who do not.

The option to turn them off makes everyone happy.

I can concede that but frankly I don't want to see them waste any meaningful development time.

No.

Chat buble's are disctracting and block the view.

Dont make swtor in wow with lightsabers please.

i like the fact that if i dont want to talk i just close the chat box.

:mad: dont give me optional things that i can turn off that other people want :mad:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.