The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tanks, that dont guard!

Romgaard

Seriously...folks..

Yeah u can run dps mode, but whats the point?...Why not leave the dps to the dps...

I come from Warhammer, played an ironbreaker for a very long time.

And guard is what makes u a tank!

Use it people!!!!

Ok, switching guard sucks monkeyballs, since u cant put guard on a person that allready is guarded..Even if the guard is on the other side of the map..That is just silly

I was an RR80 Ironbreaker, myself. I love playing a Vanguard Tank and so far I'm doing fairly well with it. Guard + Taunt = Win. :)

That said, there's nothing wrong with running a DPS Vanguard build. If you're going for DPS, then by all means do it. What bugs me though are folks with Ion Cell activated who don't Guard. If you're going to Tank, then Tank! Protect the ball carrier. Protect the healer at the cap point. Protect a Scoundrel who is picking off the enemy's back lines. Make a difference.

Seriously...folks..

Yeah u can run dps mode, but whats the point?...Why not leave the dps to the dps...

Use it people!!!!

Ok, switching guard sucks monkeyballs, since u cant put guard on a person that allready is guarded..Even if the guard is on the other side of the map..That is just silly

It's quite simple actually, I guard people I know are competent. or in guild groups, guildies. But When solo pugging. Especially against premades, guarding baddies is just a recipe to get yourself owned. I can still help out with defense with spot guarding and taunting. But sitting there and eating damage for some overextended sh*t sentinel is pointless. ;)

Especially given the fact that with defending objectives, your trying to stay alive to hold them off points most of the time. A tank can sit there with 4 people on him for a few minutes if he pops his cooldowns. Giving more time for people to respond to help calls. A good tank in these objectives can sway games into wins. Just as much as a good healer can.

As to the guard switching, yeah it does blow, They should make it easier with a color around thier raid frame if they are guarded by someone. for easy reference. But they made the right call with not allowing multiple guards on one person. Or do you want a repeat of warhammer with a super geared mdps with 2 tanks guarding and a healer, just shredding warzones. Or a Bright wizard or sorc bomb group?

Thats probably part of the reason we dont have 8 man queueing in this game. premades and coordination was insane in that game. Dont get me wrong I loved it. But the devestation done to pugs wasnt even fair. You'd get 120 kill 0 death matches. Or people putting up over a million damage. etc

Yea screw that because.

1. As a vanguard i have to change cell which takes 1.5 seconds or 2.5 with lag and gd delay which is a lifetime in pvp

2. Then i try to guard someone and there already guarded by someone on the otherside of the map

When they fix the 2 above issues then i'll guard people. For the mean time I just spam my damage reduction moves on enemies when a ally is low.

Question for you guys since you obviously know what you're doing..

As a Lvl 17 Vanguard what's your opinion about the best plan of action for guarding and stuff at this level? This is the first time i've played a game set up like this, so a lot of this strategy is new.

I've played a few PvP warzones, though not quite sure what a Lvl 17 can do for the Lvl 40+ i'm playing with. I just learned the guard skill, so hopefully I can put it to good use.

Question for you guys since you obviously know what you're doing..

As a Lvl 17 Vanguard what's your opinion about the best plan of action for guarding and stuff at this level? This is the first time i've played a game set up like this, so a lot of this strategy is new.

I've played a few PvP warzones, though not quite sure what a Lvl 17 can do for the Lvl 40+ i'm playing with. I just learned the guard skill, so hopefully I can put it to good use.

Depends on the situation, but as they mentioned above, putting Guard on a healer at your node in Alderaan or the ball carrier in Huttball is almost always a good use of it. Combined with Taunting enemy attackers you can really make a difference in your healer's lifespan. Just make sure they're actually a healer. I've had several guards placed on my AS commando in Alderaan while the healer was left to fend for himself.

I had this one guy lolRage at me for not guarding him, as he continued to plunge into 4-5 enemies solo, and would die within 3 seconds. The Guard rage in Ops channel is quite funny, but I tend to guard those who are productive and have an inkling of how to play.

I had a Ironbreaker in WAR as well and loved the guard system. I was thrilled they had it in this game to, i would have never made a tank without it. I just usually pop it on a healer and protect the healer in warzones, but make emergencies switches if i see someone getting hammered. The only thing that annoys me is when someone guards me, i have to remove it in order to guard someone else :/

most of the time I do guard people for medals. I save lives. but I do think to myself "damn do I really wanna save that idiot?".

I have no problem with vanguards going assault spec. it is a beast dps spec better than almost all the dps. frankly, if I see a good vanguard I'll probably guard him before the squishy dumb overextending melee lightsaber waving ******* allies I have.

Seriously...folks..

Use it people!!!!

What's the point? it's fun.

This isnt the clone wars - we dont all need to play in exactly the same way with the same armour, weapons, mods, tree spec and ability rotation. Whats the point in developing a character if you cant add your own style to it, or are too cowardly to add your own style for fear that someone wont think your good enough to play with.

I also come from warhammer where I played a chosen, and I dps'd on ironbreakers for breakfast. One of the nice things about warhammer before the qq'ing over archtypes started, was that teh spec trees did allow you to take on more than one role, as they can do here. Its sush a shame the wow'ians cant see past archtypes and get obsessed with one roll.

Why dont people use guard on this game? Probably because they forget to. Its used so little in solo play that when group play comes along its just something they are not used to doing. Even in warhammer people needed to be reminded to put guard on someone. It doesnt take but a few seconds just to ask your tank for guard if they havent remembered it themselves.

To those frustrated about Guard mechanics/visibility in PvP: that's changing in 1.1 to become more obvious, and you won't have to double-tap your Guard keybind to Guard a new player if they don't have Guard up on them yet. It'll just swap the buff to them.

Seriously...folks..

Use it people!!!!

1. All AC can dps, you might come from an MMO where classes are cornered into roles, but here that mentality will not help you.

2. Only one AC is specially designed for dps

3. I had an Ironbreaker and late 30s I dropped the guard and went harassing enemy healers (I do the same now)

4. I do not guard dps (in random warzones) for a very good reason: they have the bad habit of following runners and get killed for no reason or they position poorly and get zerged which hurts me too.

I think you cannot ask a vanguard to be a team player when you are not one.

And on the dps page: vanguards can output decent damage and have good mobility and good fight control if player right.