Advice on pc parts i chose under 1500$

Millkymeal

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont worry about getting thermal paste... cause most cpu's already come with it on them and adding too much or too little cause fry your cpu.

I would take exception with this comment.

First off, they use cheap crap at the factory for those, and the aftermarket thermal paste is much better IMHO.

Second, depending on how hard you're using the processor, the factory stuff can just disintegrate into powder.

Now the Arctic Silver and others might also disintegrate and dry out over time, but the stock stuff isn't exactly the best.

That being said, you must be very careful and follow the directions for the paste and the processor, and be careful as you're applying something directly to the CPU core, which isn't exactly the strongest and sturdiest structure in the PC.

______

As to the OP, I've got the ATI Radeon HD 6670 and it runs the game in fine fashion. Yours looks like another step up from that so it should be a great choice.

Edited by Kubernetic

Looks good to me but i'd probably go with a nvidia gtx560ti for a mid range card over the amd offerings. 6850 is quite underpowered for a budget build.

CPU cooler wise if you wanna go all out get a noctua nh-d14 its massive and cools like a beast but because of this you can run it really quiet!

I went with a GTX 560 Superclocked over a GTX 560Ti as it was cheaper. It not only runs swtor on full settings, but it also runs battlefield 3 on full settings as well.

Well, $1500 is a lot for a computer that can blast this game. I’ll even build you one for that much!!

I know cyberpowerpc offers some nice systems that are cheap.

The thing to remember is you do not need the latest and greatest highest number product to get great to near perfect results. Anything that came out last year will work flawlessly this year. People will tell you that you will need a gtx 680ti GPU but honestly, no you do not. I built my own gaming computer last November for this game because I thought it would be coming out last April. What I have atm plays this game and every other game out on max settings with no fps/lag issues.

I would go with a AMD CPU because of the value for product is better. Sure Intel individual processors are faster, but not by much to substantiate the price. AMD (old ATI) cards are great but last I have read this game does not support crossfire x (i could be wrong though)

My set up: Win 7 64bit, Asus M4n98td Evo Mobo, AMD 1075t 3.0ghz, 8 gb of cheap ram, 1tb HDD and PNY GTX 460 1gb GPU ( I have just added a second 460 SLI not because I needed but because I’m silly like that). This rig is at least 1.5 -2 years old by industry standards. But this rig has yet to even use 10% of my systems ability. So, with that you do not need the newest/greatest hardware on the market, just get the right hardware and you will be good to go!

I would take exception with this comment.

First off, they use cheap crap at the factory for those, and the aftermarket thermal paste is much better IMHO.

Second, depending on how hard you're using the processor, the factory stuff can just disintegrate into powder.

Now the Arctic Silver and others might also disintegrate and dry out over time, but the stock stuff isn't exactly the best.

That being said, you must be very careful and follow the directions for the paste and the processor, and be careful as you're applying something directly to the CPU core, which isn't exactly the strongest and sturdiest structure in the PC.

______

As to the OP, I've got the ATI Radeon HD 6670 and it runs the game in fine fashion. Yours looks like another step up from that so it should be a great choice.

the op said he wasnt that proficient with computers so thats why i said to scratch the thermal paste.

Intel i5 2500k is the best bang for buck cpu for gaming on the market especially when you overclock it...

Not trying to start a fanboy war or anything since if amd had a cpu as good as that i'd by hyping that up but ahem bulldozer!

I still think mid range gpu wise nvidia gtx560ti is the way to go.

But i'm not a fanboy of them either i have a 5870 in my system... i went with that because it was before the 5xx series came out and i wanted a high end card and it was either a 5870 or turning my rig into an oven with fermi..

Edit: also it'd be a waste getting a 2500k and NOT overclocking it even yer granny could overclock a sandy bridge k series.

Edited by AngusFTW

Yeah overclocking is something I have no clue about and never have done and will be afraid I would mess something up doin it. I'm thinkin of just keeping the set up I listed but changing the video card from an HD 6850 to a GTX 560ti. Now I'm just wonderin if I listed a CPU that would be to much for my use or my inexperience wont get enough out of it as someone else could?

Eh the only reason i like amd better is cause it has performed a lot better then most of the intel computers ive built: Amd / intel really just a personal preference imho.

oh and plus Amd is cheaper then intel's overpriced ****.

Edited by Furrywal

Yeah overclocking is something I have no clue about and never have done and will be afraid I would mess something up doin it. I'm thinkin of just keeping the set up I listed but changing the video card from an HD 6850 to a GTX 560ti. Now I'm just wonderin if I listed a CPU that would be to much for my use or my inexperience wont get enough out of it as someone else could?

Overclocking the new intel sandy bridge cpus is a very simple process infact most motherboards now can overclock it for you in the bios and it'd be fine... but you'd get more clock speed doing it yourself look up tutorials on youtube etc.

Also, Do not waste your money on a I7 CPU. Its crazy $$$$$ about 300+ for a 2600 and will be outdated in 6 months. You can get a amazing AMD CPU for half the price that will give you just as good results. Like the AMD FX6100 6x 3.3 is only around $169. According to Toms results (tomshardware) the GTX 460 (SLI) had the best FPS on max settings. They were higher than the GTX 560 TI and all other GPUs.

The 460 is considered the break through card and still can handle anything thrown at it. I picked up a second and third PNY GTX 460 from Best buy (in store) for $124.00. Not sure if they was on sell or if it is because they were older models. But go see if your store or another in your area has any for sell. If you can find two of them for around the same price, then you will be able to pick up 2 460 for the price of 1 560ti.. Check out toms hardware for the results and you will see the 460 (SLI) has is superior!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-wars-gaming-tests-review,3087-7.html

Edited by Kraith

Thx Kraith but I dont plan on gettin an i7. I have planned an i5 2500k and also I dont understand how a 460 would be better than a 560ti. I would think the higher number would be newer and better but as I'm learnin with this its not always true

yeah, I think the 1100t or the 1090t BE's are as good as you will need. But the 1075 will work just as good IMO.

I put a 1090 BE OC in my firends computer the about 8 months ago and his min/average FPS on SWTOR is no different than mine.

If you can wait a few weeks it may be worth your wild.

The AMD 7000 series is about to be released (and I do mean very very soon...like, I've already "seen" a 7970 ;) ).

Those may be monster cards. Even if they aren't, it will drop the price of the 6000 series.

Edited by Skoobie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.