What Jedi Sentinel skill tree is suitable for optimal PvE?

USAFColonelz

I have a lvl 26 Combat Jedi Sentinel and i use Kira as my companion for all my missions but i find it difficult to complete class story missions b/c im too week to beat the bosses and im always relying on a guild member to help me. i just want to know if the combat skill tree is suitable for PvE.

I have a lvl 26 Combat Jedi Sentinel and i use Kira as my companion for all my missions but i find it difficult to complete class story missions b/c im too week to beat the bosses and im always relying on a guild member to help me. i just want to know if the combat skill tree is suitable for PvE.

If you just want my opinion then I say go watchman, the benefits are boundless. If you want to have a more detailed explanation then read the sticky on this forum for in depth details.

If you're struggling, it may not be so much that a new tree is going to fix your issues. Watchman especially is a talent tree you have to carefully utilize to be effective.

A couple questions, you say you're level 26:

What area on you on and what level are the enemies you're facing?

Do you keep your arms and armor up to date on both you and your companion?

What's your usual rotation you're using when battling?

From what I've read, Combat and Focus really begin to shine at higher levels more so than earlier in the game. But overall Sentinel is something of a finesse class. If you're just trying to blow through everything, you're going to struggle.

I played Combat until lvl 25 or 26. Until that point I had no real issues. Somewhere on Tatooine Combat just started to feel weak (and I had both companions and myself in current gear). Switching to Watchman and Kira made a noticeable difference.

Last night I switched back to Combat (lvl 40). It didn't seem like I was getting great self heal numbers anymore with Watchman? and I am relying on Doc to keep me alive anyway. Didn't get to quest/PvE, but I felt way more competent in PvP.

• 2 months later...
how can i re skill im lvl 17 and would like to get better skill tree

There's a purple Rodian on the fleet, all the way on the end of the class trainers (opposite of where the Knight trainer is). He will allow you to reset your skills. The cost is free after every patch so you can change often if you want.

As to the OP - Watchman is generally regarded as a premier Sentinel spec. However, your problems may not be completed fixed by a change of spec.

Some general tips for playing Sentinel better:

-Level! Players who are underleveled or on level with the content they're facing typically have more problems. Getting two to three levels on the content can help immensely. Run some quick space missions or complete bonus objectives.

-Interrupt! If you don't interrupt strong skills used by strong enemies you will die. A lot. Force Kick is your best option, but remember that Force Leap and Force Stasis also interrupt enemy channeled or cast-time abilities.

-Gear up. Make sure your gear is up to date. This game is highly gear dependent so if you're not running with the best stuff you can you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. Things like implants and earpieces drop very rarely and are usually not offered as quest rewards so you might be running around with some that are well below what you could be using. Check the GTN for better options on all of your gear, but don't spend a whole lot on them. Also make sure you have the best relics you can buy from the Light or Dark vendor if you are traveling down one side or the other.

-Use your defensive and utility skills. Riposte and Saber Ward are good defensive skills. Zen/Transcendance can also help give you additional attacking prowess or defensive staying power. Force Camo dumps threat off of you onto your companion.

There's a purple Rodian on the fleet, all the way on the end of the class trainers (opposite of where the Knight trainer is). He will allow you to reset your skills. The cost is free after every patch so you can change often if you want.

As to the OP - Watchman is generally regarded as a premier Sentinel spec. However, your problems may not be completed fixed by a change of spec.

Some general tips for playing Sentinel better:

-Level! Players who are underleveled or on level with the content they're facing typically have more problems. Getting two to three levels on the content can help immensely. Run some quick space missions or complete bonus objectives.

-Interrupt! If you don't interrupt strong skills used by strong enemies you will die. A lot. Force Kick is your best option, but remember that Force Leap and Force Stasis also interrupt enemy channeled or cast-time abilities.

-Gear up. Make sure your gear is up to date. This game is highly gear dependent so if you're not running with the best stuff you can you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. Things like implants and earpieces drop very rarely and are usually not offered as quest rewards so you might be running around with some that are well below what you could be using. Check the GTN for better options on all of your gear, but don't spend a whole lot on them. Also make sure you have the best relics you can buy from the Light or Dark vendor if you are traveling down one side or the other.

-Use your defensive and utility skills. Riposte and Saber Ward are good defensive skills. Zen/Transcendance can also help give you additional attacking prowess or defensive staying power. Force Camo dumps threat off of you onto your companion.

thank you all that really helped :)

"Optimal" is a difficult term to use, as we have practically no reliable way to measure performance. That said, Wathman is widely viewed as the better spec due to DoTs keeping damage on target during movement fights, and Juyo-Zen alleviating a bit of the pressure from your healer(s).

However, since solo-play seems to be your issue at the moment, I would recommend looking at the Focus tree. I did a lot of my leveling solo and found Focus to be most beneficial thanks to all the damage reduction offered by Shii-Cho (talented into Defensive Forms, of course) and the added mobility of Zealous Leap in getting between all the ranged mobs.

I did the bulk of my leveling combat and had no issues what so ever. The knight requires a smart player, kick interupts, good use of stasis, pacify, saber ward. Also, send kira in first, manually use her defensive cd, let her get some threat going , jump in and go to town, when you pull off her, use your defensive cd. When those ware off, force camo to dump threat, let her pick up the threat. Jump in again, before she dies use your heroic moment ability to reset your defensive cds. When she dies, pop your defensive cds again and pound the boss to death. That's the missing link you are needing.

Think strategies and ay smart.

to re-iterate what others where saying make sure your a few lvl's ahead of the content. i was lvl 25 or 26 when i hit nar shadaa, so it was easy. do space battles heroics or whatever it takes to lvl. me i hate heroic's and only do space battles out of sheer fact that you get good XP and its tolerable. I on the other hand am always cued into PvP warzones. so no matter where im at (unless its like vital to the story) i will stop as soon as i get the join warzone thingy and play pvp. it keeps me up to date on XP

As others have mentioned Watchman is the way to go while leveling IMO. Make sure to spec into Merciless Zeal and pop Zen every time it's up to help with extra heals. If you've allocated points properly by level 26-27 you should be able to spec into Valor which will help with gaining extra centering while activating focus-using abilities.

Leveling/surviving will always be a bit rough until you get Doc, then you can tear through mobs without AS much stress. If you over-gear or out-level the content enough Kira is usually enough to help you get thorough the worst.

• 3 months later...