Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

An even playing field...

jtype_sw

I have noticed that these "cry baby" threads are started by people who joined the forums in November and December of 2011. Coincidence?

I haven't started one (because there are plenty).

Also calling them "cry baby" threads is you being dismissive and immature.

I think is quite fair. While others doubted about this game untill the last beta testing days, others took a risk and preordered the game since day one without having a 100% guarantee it will be finished, polished ( you name it ) in time.

So now they are rewarded for taking that chance by beeing invited first.

I dindn't preordered in summer, and I think I will get mostlikely, 1-2 EAG days. Not a problem for anyone who wants to be around SW:ToR for a long time.

well by that logic I signed up on this website before you so I should get first crack?

Bioware made a opening for Pre Orders, anyone ordering in that opening should get same amount of time.

I personally have my cut off date, not in by that date and I walk away

Not a threat, not a tantrum, just a reality!

And im not saying the date because Bioware couldnt give me a date when Id be in (see how unfair that is)

No. Because Bioware clearly said the sooner you enter your pre-order code, the sooner you get in.

They never said anything about the forums.

Mindboggling that someone like you, who has been waiting for years to play this game (by your sign up date), would cancel over waiting a few extra days.

/shrug. To each their own.

Edited by Skoobie

What is it we're buying or bought here? Fruit? Is there a limited supply of the game? I don't get people saying "you were not in line first." There are no lines. There are only virtual lines. Lines set up by someone as a scheme to reel in massive amounts of profit early on so that things look good to investors and board of directors. It's a simple marketing and sales strategy designed to create a sense of limited supply, when in actuality the supply is ample. How many times have you heard "get it while supplies last!"

Lines...

They had stress test weekends, and if I remember correctly they gave access to every individual who preordered the game before 11/23/2011. Even for those less fortunate ones that got it later than that date, they issued beta access keys through various partners and gaming sites to ensure that everyone gets in.

Now this madness today with allowing only a few days worth of pre-orders. This will unbalance the game whether you want to believe it or not. WoW, if anything, has thaught players to be competitive.

No. Because Bioware clearly said the sooner you enter your pre-order code, the sooner you get in.

They never said anything about the forums.

Mindboggling that someone like you, who has been waiting for years to play this game (by your sign up date), would cancel over waiting a few extra days.

/shrug. To each their own.

They probably won't. They, like pretty much everyone else complaining about the launch, will gripe until they get to play. After that, they'll gripe about something else.

What is it we're buying or bought here? Fruit? Is there a limited supply of the game? I don't get people saying "you were not in line first." There are no lines. There are only virtual lines. Lines set up by someone as a scheme to reel in massive amounts of profit early on so that things look good to investors and board of directors. It's a simple marketing and sales strategy designed to create a sense of limited supply, when in actuality the supply is ample. How many times have you heard "get it while supplies last!"

Lines...

They had stress test weekends, and if I remember correctly they gave access to every individual who preordered the game before 11/23/2011. Even for those less fortunate ones that got it later than that date, they issued beta access keys through various partners and gaming sites to ensure that everyone gets in.

Now this madness today with allowing only a few days worth of pre-orders. This will unbalance the game whether you want to believe it or not. WoW, if anything, has thaught players to be competitive.

You do realize it's still 6 days until the actual launch right? That this EA was, and is the reason most people pre-ordered.

We've known about it for nearly 6 months, now really isn't the time to cry over it.

I believe it is somewhat unfair for select individuals to receive a head start in the game when you have the capability to allow many times more people into the game.

Throughout the streams I have seen today, all the servers were "Light" status and the world was void of players.

Respectfully,

J

I guess it would be unfair for the people who buy the game after the 20th as well. BW should cancel the EGA and delay the launch until everyone who intends to buy a copy does. It's the only way to keep the playing field even...

Or nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

I guess it would be unfair for the people who buy the game after the 20th as well. BW should cancel the EGA and delay the launch until everyone who intends to buy a copy does. It's the only way to keep the playing field even...

Or nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Yup. No one should be allowed to play until everyone can. That makes it fair. Cause life is fair. Yeah.

They probably won't. They, like pretty much everyone else complaining about the launch, will gripe until they get to play. After that, they'll gripe about something else.

Very true.

I was actually going to start a poll type thread earlier, asking what everyone thought everyone would be complaining about next week. But decided I didn't need to stir the pot anymore.

Yup. No one should be allowed to play until everyone can. That makes it fair. Cause life is fair. Yeah.

Exactly! All BW needs is for the last guy to go "I'm the last one, go ahead and launch the game." but then you have computer speeds and Internet latancy issues. If only there was a way to spread the wealth of the faster people to the slower people so it can be truly fair for all... Then I took an arrow to the knee

Edited by Geistekrank

They got in line first, so they reach the front of the line first. Simple.

No they didn't get in line first, they bought their ticket first. It's like I used earlier, how with Southwest you buy your ticket, but then you have to go on the night before and claim your seat. Everyone knows that it starts 24 hours in advance so they are ready and waiting. That is similar to queues in games. Everyone knows when a game goes live and they wait in queues. What BioWare did was to allow the people who bought their ticket first to load the plane first. Southwest realized that was bad business, I don't know why BioWare hasn't taken notice.

You do realize it's still 6 days until the actual launch right? That this EA was, and is the reason most people pre-ordered.

We've known about it for nearly 6 months, now really isn't the time to cry over it.

Quite a few times they stated this was their launch. Gold Release is what you are thinking about, the day they get paid and investors see the dollars. Launch was on the 13th, make no mistake about it.

I'm personally upset, because I see BioWare stopping how many people play by not adding more waves hour after hour. To literally stop after 5 waves is asinine.

I suggest the following:

BioWare needs to allow all pre-orders into the EA 14 Dec.

No they didn't get in line first, they bought their ticket first. It's like I used earlier, how with Southwest you buy your ticket, but then you have to go on the night before and claim your seat. Everyone knows that it starts 24 hours in advance so they are ready and waiting. That is similar to queues in games. Everyone knows when a game goes live and they wait in queues. What BioWare did was to allow the people who bought their ticket first to load the plane first. Southwest realized that was bad business, I don't know why BioWare hasn't taken notice.

It's my sad duty to inform you that most airlines have given me my seat choice when I ordered the ticket... with people who ordered the ticket before me choosing their seats before me as well.

In fact, Southwest is the only airline that does that wacky process.

It's my sad duty to inform you that most airlines have given me my seat choice when I ordered the ticket... with people who ordered the ticket before me choosing their seats before me as well.

In fact, Southwest is the only airline that does that wacky process.

but does the plane take off and arrive at the same time for all?

you completely miss the point of your own comparrison

Quite a few times they stated this was their launch. Gold Release is what you are thinking about, the day they get paid and investors see the dollars. Launch was on the 13th, make no mistake about it.

I'm personally upset, because I see BioWare stopping how many people play by not adding more waves hour after hour. To literally stop after 5 waves is asinine.

I suggest the following:

BioWare needs to allow all pre-orders into the EA 14 Dec.

You know, begging for free, non-essential stuff is looked down upon in most parts of the world...

but does the plane take off and arrive at the same time for all?

you completely miss the point of your own comparrison

Well first of all, I was debunking someone else's argument. I wasn't aware I was making a point other than that the comparison that person was making was screwed up.

Second of all, if a particular plane is full, yes I usually go buy a ticket for another plane that usually leaves/arrives at a different time. So yes based on the time of purchase I do get different times. Not sure if your country does something different.

Technically, I'd point out that you didn't get in line when you purchased your "ticket," you got in line when you claimed it by entering the pre-order code in on the SWTOR website.

By the by, the point of a staggered launch isn't to punish people for purchasing later, though that is one consequence of it. It's to allow them as much time as possible to make last-minute alterations on the servers while loads are low. Its easier to make an alteration and filter it down to 2000 players than it is to make an alteration and filter it down to 200,000. Their goal is a smooth launch on launch day, with servers that have had those last minute kinks worked out of them. (Launch day in terms of release to the general public, not in terms of payoff.)

i really don't see why people are complaining that certain people are getting a "head start"....really???...REALLY??? this game will be going on for years to come and they are complaining that people are getting in a couple days early. give it a rest already geez. they didnt have to let in anyone at all before launch day. eventually everyone will be the same lvl in the game....."whaaaaaaaa i can't believe you are lvl 20 and im only lvl 1 whaaaaaaaa" ....pathetic

Hello everyone,

We are going to go ahead and close this thread. Firstly, we would like to point you towards this post from Stephen regarding why we did invites to early access the way we did. You can find that post here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=66561#edit66561

Secondly, we do have a thread in place regarding invites that this thread can continue in. We ask that you please continue your discussion there.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=6488

Thank you.