VibroKnives are treated as secondary weapons...

Grimshi

So I initially thought it really sucked how vibroknives are all none modable, hard to find and generally treated worse then most secondary weapons. I understand this since we only have one spec that uses them like a primary.

On the very positive side of things, once you hit 50 they are the cheapest items we can buy through the end game vendors. So when it's all said and done we get our endgame weapon dirty cheap.

So... I don't mind them being secondary weapons.

Vibroknives are pure stat boosts. It has a damage stat, which might affect your Weapon Damage, but melee attacks are all based on Tech Power and not Weapon Damage.

I always thought that the base damage for melee attacks that use the knife (like shiv for example) relies on the damage rating of the equipped knife.

However I guess that since Scoundrels have similar abilities but their melee attacks include blaster whip that it's just pure tech damage...

If Vibro item damage doesn't contribute to damage at all, why even include a damage stat?

Because a knife without damage would look silly? Doesn't really make sense, I agree, but it might be the highest damage for blaster/knife is used for Weapon Damage abilities? Can't really say I've played around with it, but play around with your weapons and you'll see Tech Power affects damage of Shive/Backstab etc while weapon damage itself doesn't affect it.

Based on everything I've seen, the Vibroknife damage actually is the base damage for our melee attacks. So yes, upgrade that sucker ASAP (for cheap! woot!)

Edit: It may be that what I'm observing is simply the correlation between a higher Damage knives also having correspondingly higher Tech Damage bonuses. In which case, that's basically the same thing.

Edited by Lucubration

Its not hard to check, but yes vibroknife matters, Check ur dmg on spell, then take the knife of, now check. WOOOOT less dmg. =C

Need a bit more rigorous of a testing program to understand how thery impact things. Of course I have a slot it needs stats in it, I'll but the best option I can get my hands on in that slot.....

To test it properly you'd want 2 vibroblades that both have the same stats but different damage. I'm thinking the damage on the blades is simply added to your normal ranged/melee attacks but it has no affect on your tech attacks. The stats on the blade would obviously add to your tech damage.

It's properly worth pointing out that all of our melee attacks are tech attacks not actual "melee" attacks.

I think it's fair to say that the previous post that Tech Power on a vibroknife directly corresponds to the weapon damage listed is correct. I took a look at different knives yesterday, and I couldn't find a single example of Tech Power not going up with weapon damage.

The best way to test it would be to equip gear with Tech Power equal to the Tech Power on a vibroknife you have available. Then remove the gear and equip the Vibroknife. If it acts as we suspect, ie. only Tech Power is used, your Shiv should show the exact same damage as before. The trick would be to find gear matching the Tech Power on a vibroknife exactly, and also make sure you don't lose any Cunning or Power in the process.

If Vibro item damage doesn't contribute to damage at all, why even include a damage stat?

The better question would be why do we not have a melee stat in the drop down list on our character sheet.

While my ranged companion buddies do?

Edited by Ahebish

The better question would be why do we not have a melee stat in the drop down list on our character sheet.

While my ranged companion buddies do?

Because you have no Melee attacks. You only have short ranged Tech attacks :)