The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What crew skills most useful in Vangaurd/Tank?

Cheeseblaster

Hey out there. Noob here. What crew skills have people found most useful for a tank? I have Diplomacy, Scavenging, and Armormech right now at lvl 15. But they don't seem to do much for me.

I'm not trying to have you tell me what I should do, but was interested in which crew skills you found most useful in your games.

Also, anyone have a link to a decent Armormech tutorial? It's been useless to me as a skill so far. Possibility that I might just not know how to use it is pretty high.

Thanks in advanced!:wea_09:

Whatever your first two, I'd recommend slicing as the third while leveling-- it's solely a money-making profession.

In all MMO's I've always found alchemy to be the most viable profession, as it's used by EVERYONE, and having a limitless supply of health kits can't hurt as a tank, not to mention the other stat boosts you'll get.

Depends on whether you plan to buy some mats from the GTN or not. If you do not, you need to have access to a mission skill somehow - be it by yourself or through a buddy or alt - because the advanced mats required for blue+ crafts are obtained by mission skills.

But getting slicing will net you the money you need to buy the stuff, unless the market price is off. Slicing is not the currency pinata it was pre-nerf, however - I would guess it is no more so than the other gathering skills if you sell the mats instead of using them. It's merely more reliable income since you do not depend on market price for your output.

I went for Armoremech / Underworld trading / Investigation, but this was only viable because my wife and co-player went with Scavenging and Slicing in addition to Cybertech. With her first alt in Armstech (again with scavenging and Slicing) and mine in Biochem (with Bioanalysis and Diplomacy), we cover everything not Force-related.

I would go for Biochem, Bioanalysis and Diplomacy.

I've been using purple stims on my lowbie tank alt and they do amazing things. I have some that double my armour rating for 15 seconds, decent heal ones that never run out and long lasting stims that never run out.

If you prefer the idea of grenades(area CC consumables) go cybertech.

Armortech has bracers and a belt craftable from the trainer at 50 which are bop and i suspect are better than the average epic to give you more stats

I've been told the Champion PvP gear is superior.

In the current state of things, crafted armor and weapons have no role in endgame play. If you want to craft anything, go Biochem for consumables unless you want the reusable grenades from Cybertech. Otherwise, go with 3 gathering skills and sell your stuff on the GTN for cash.

Currently I am 400 Armor, UT, and Scavenging. Armor was semi useful while leveling but as others have stated, with purple mods, not that great end game... though its still pretty early. The issue really comes down to an aesthetic one for me..... keep the cool looking orange armor and load it with purple mods... or craft my own purples (I have unlocked quite a few from REing) and have a hodge podge appearence for little to no benefit. In fact it costs about the same in mandalorian iron to craft a purple piece as it does to craft the purple mods, 4 for purple pants, vs 2 each for purple armor mods....and with the armor mods i get to pick how i look.

IN hindsight i wouldnt have taken it. now that i have invested 100s of thousands into it.... i wont drop it, and i'll just wait for a buff to the skill to make it worth while (fingers crossed). Most people who have taken cybertech are pretty happy with it, and I love my buddy who does biochem for the stims and medpaks and such. Havent heard much about arms though.