The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Forced to change my character name?

Spankyjnco

It's the "x" before and after. You were notified when you read and agreed to the ToS which includes the nameing policy. Didn't read it? If you had you may not have not put 'x" before and after. Spanky has a point to make. How is the name vulgar? He knows the name policy and is just in disagreement with it in this instance. But that's not the same as just not looking at it. And all of us are subject to the big stick. It's theirs to wave around.

did I read it? No. Do u read the game manual when u insert the disc? Do u read all 63 pages of the iTunes terms and agreements every time they make a change? It's a game, not a mortgage or car loan. But I get it. Theres a TOS for a reason.

My point is that their approach to naming policy is very unservice oriented. I don't care if I have to change a name. Will I change it? Yes. Can I change it? No. From what i've gathered the only alternative is to start a new character.

Edited by FA-Unforgiven

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did I read it? No. Do u read the game manual when u insert the disc? Do u read all 63 pages of the iTunes terms and agreements every time they make a change? It's a game, not a mortgage or car loan. But I get it. Theres a TOS for a reason.

My point is that their approach to naming policy is very unservice oriented. I don't care if I have to change a name. Will I change it? Yes. Can I change it? No. From what i've gathered the only alternative is to start a new character.

That is a 100% huge correct point to a valid oversight.. "change your name".."OK. How?".."you can't" HAHAHA. To make a name policy you assume that someone will make names you don't want so you'd think that would be something there from the start! No. I don't read all 62 pages.

You know the IP of Little Rascals is still ownd by Metro Godwin Mayer. Dont you? or MGM for you youngsters. Sheesh. There saving themselves a Lawsuit and your complaining. Good luck.

/facepalm :confused:

Congratulations. This is quite literally the dumbest excuse for Bioware fanboyism I have seen on these forums.

Again. You know that he's wrong. They don't like his name so he has to change it. Period.

It's over. If he doesn't like it he can un-sub. Quit justifying things that are black and white.

Ryften

Dark Associate of Bloodlines

"Through Power I Gain Victory

Through Victory, My Chains Are Broken"

And which server are you on again in case people want to petition your name, "Ryften"?

See, they may feel like "Ryften" is too much like "Rift", which could remind players of SWToR's MMO competition. Some people might feel that you're basically advertising another MMO within the SWToR's game world and not be too happy about that. I imagine there are probably players out there who might have the urge to file a complaint about it.

As you said, ultimately it's up to Bioware.. so you should be fine with whatever they decide, right?

I'll check back in a bit for that server name.

Edited by Apax

5. You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

This one is really funny given that the random name generator gave me "Santa" as an option.

That's not a vulgar name unless it means something different in EU or w/e. I'm sure it would take a while but you should appeal their decision if you want to get the name back.

"Spank" is a euphemistic term of ************. So, with a bit of a stretch, "Spanky" would be one who masturbates.

Or it could just be an ordinary name. I guess I have to worry about my character "Dick" getting renamed too.

Basically, someone wanted to ban the guy and found a stupid way (and stupid mod) to do it.

Now, if his last name was "McWangs-a-lot", then we might have a problem.

Regardless, Id still "fight" it. As long as you keep civil and constructive about it theres no reason not to keep pestering support. Theres nothing wrong with the name Spanky, and we cant let them think its perfectly fine to force renames just because someone reported it. Maybe they wont reconsider, youll probably never get the name back, but you should at least make them aware that Bioware is in error over this(again, being civil about it).

And, more importantly, he should continue doing what he did in making this thread and inform others about the stupid things that happen.

I love it. I always have some pretty naughty names, that I sugar coat enough I never have been asked to change them (course now that I post this I expect that I will recieve an email soon, but oh well) It really cracks me up how game managers think. Sometimes you could compare apples to apples and they will ban one thing and look away on the other. Guess we gotta keep in mind that these are humans making these decisions, and who knows maybe they are moody or drunk or something when they do.