Snipe "Auto" Stopping

MastaGigs

Im finding a new fun little bug, Unknown Effect. I literally cant use cover in some areas an just get spammed with that msg. Seems to be random and lasts a few sec.

Add in skills just not firing or auto stopping it really is a game breaker at times.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the ability queue. How do I know?

1) It doesn't happen with portable cover

2) When this does occur on hard cover points, you'll lose any and all procced abilites from rolling into cover. Ballistic Dampeners? Gone. Snap Shot? Gone.

Your best bet right now is to manually activate portable cover behind objects to get the hard cover bonus, but without this bug occuring.

People are discussing two different and unrelated issues in this thread. You are talking about a behavior that appears to be character models interacting with clipping protection (aka: making specific natural cover points totally unusable because the game doesn't quite know where you are).

The people who are getting snipe interrupted after they enter portable cover (aka: most cover) are having trouble with the ability queue. I have my own queue times set to 0.0 and have been experimenting with other settings. Again, people are talking about two different issues in this thread. They are distinct from one another and have separate causes and symptoms.

Same here, using Snipe right away after entering portable cover and spamming another ability before snipe goes off will interrupt Snipe at the end of the cast.

I also noticed that this happens only with Snipe and only if you use it right away after entering cover.

My workaround is to wait until Snipe has like 0.1 sec left to cast and use whatever I want next.

This is a major bug, however, and should be fixed, though I am somewhat pessimistic about it - it is not exactly a new, fresh bug, AFAIK.

Looks like a bug to me. It only happens to me so far when I roll behind an object into cover. If I just crouch (no object nearby that forces me to roll into it) then it works better.

It's also rather frustrating that I can't spam the snipe button, it ruins the cast if I do that usually. So I have to wait until I shoot then cast again. This is bad for DPS, since with a bit of lag I'll always have a wee bit of time between me shooting (snipe) and starting up the next cast, which lowers my dps.

Edited by ddayyy

Same here, using Snipe right away after entering portable cover and spamming another ability before snipe goes off will interrupt Snipe at the end of the cast.

I also noticed that this happens only with Snipe and only if you use it right away after entering cover.

My workaround is to wait until Snipe has like 0.1 sec left to cast and use whatever I want next.

This is a major bug, however, and should be fixed, though I am somewhat pessimistic about it - it is not exactly a new, fresh bug, AFAIK.

Either a bug or a feature.

It worked different in WoW, because the only way to cancel a cast was to:

a) Move (or jump)

b) Press escape

In SWTOR it seems that using another ability (or the same) cancels the current. Maybe that's a bug, maybe not.

I personally solved that issue by simply reverting back to the 0.5 sec pre-casting (which works fine to be frank). Maybe it's Bioware view that button mashing is not the way you should play so they implanted this "feature".

Like I said the ability queue I only had when I turned my ability queue option to 0.0 (and somewhat at 0.25).

The natural cover issue, now that is the main thing I have; and also what is bugging most people I'm sure.

Fen already explained the issue behind it. The natural cover isn't totally right which makes you jerk and the server sees that as moving thus cancels.

This usually happens when you take place on some dodgy position, like on the edge of some rocks / cliffs. So I've limited myself to only using natural cover in more "simplistic" places like behind sandbags / walls. And try to use portable cover in most other situations. That for me limits the buggy-ness to a minimum.

Either a bug or a feature.

It worked different in WoW, because the only way to cancel a cast was to:

a) Move (or jump)

b) Press escape

In SWTOR it seems that using another ability (or the same) cancels the current. Maybe that's a bug, maybe not.

I personally solved that issue by simply reverting back to the 0.5 sec pre-casting (which works fine to be frank). Maybe it's Bioware view that button mashing is not the way you should play so they implanted this "feature".

It is not a "feature" for a simple reason: it happens only to Snipe and only on first cast, if you use Ambush first - everything works perfectly. If you mash buttons afterwards it also works fine.

It is an obvious bug.

I have actually had this happen to Ambush too, but mostly snipe, and usually at the beginning of a fight after entering cover. I am wondering if there is a bug with one of Kaliyo's attacks that stops our casting. Several times I have been mid cast and seen her leap forward or attack and at the same time had my snipe cut off.

It's been happening a lot to me, didn't notice it in the beta.

At first I thought it was due to LoS/target getting out of range/grenade's knock-down, but I've noticed it happen quite frequently for absolutely no reason. Super annoying.

Here's a note on that. I saw it some yesterday and it looked a little familiar. No guarantees that this is what's going on.

This explanation doesn't actually fit my experience of the problem; I've had this happen a number of times, in both natural and portable cover, with both Snipe and Ambush. I've never had to move to be able to cast it again, either. What happens for me is that I hit Snipe, wait for the cast, and when the timer hits the end of the bar--nothing happens. Then I hit it again, wait until the timer gets to the end of the bar, and it goes off fine. It seems to happen once every other fight or so.

What's being talked about at Snipers of the Old Republic sounds like a different problem than the one I'm seeing.

I have actually had this happen to Ambush too, but mostly snipe, and usually at the beginning of a fight after entering cover. I am wondering if there is a bug with one of Kaliyo's attacks that stops our casting. Several times I have been mid cast and seen her leap forward or attack and at the same time had my snipe cut off.

I have been seeing that also, There are times i have seen her skills act the same way as snipe to. She will do charge shot then leap but the shot never goes off. It could just be the AI or something more.

Be worth asking are mirror class if they have the same issue, Could be something with the cover system or class mech.

Same here. Was doing it a lot. Mostly in natural cover. Its 3 of my abilities. Snipe, ambush, and once it even happened with Suppressive Fire. I got in 2nd day of EA, and so far i just really saw it happen yesterday while on Tat.

This explanation doesn't actually fit my experience of the problem; I've had this happen a number of times, in both natural and portable cover, with both Snipe and Ambush. I've never had to move to be able to cast it again, either. What happens for me is that I hit Snipe, wait for the cast, and when the timer hits the end of the bar--nothing happens. Then I hit it again, wait until the timer gets to the end of the bar, and it goes off fine. It seems to happen once every other fight or so.

What's being talked about at Snipers of the Old Republic sounds like a different problem than the one I'm seeing.

After playing around with this a bit more to see what's going on, I think I've got the cause nailed down: if I hit Snipe or Ambush immediately after rolling into cover or throwing up portable cover (like while the animation is still finishing), then the ability will look like it's casting, but when the cast bar finishes, nothing happens. Firing blanks, apparently. Anyone else finding this problem?

After playing around with this a bit more to see what's going on, I think I've got the cause nailed down: if I hit Snipe or Ambush immediately after rolling into cover or throwing up portable cover (like while the animation is still finishing), then the ability will look like it's casting, but when the cast bar finishes, nothing happens. Firing blanks, apparently. Anyone else finding this problem?

This is one of the issues many of us are having. In beta i was able to do this near flawlessly 99% of the time.

I've noticed that if you use "Laze Target" the ability following that will cast to full but will not fire off, be it a snipe or a ambush. If you cast again everything works fine.

Might be what some people are experiencing. The ability being on GCD on top of that and crits not being 200% without some heavy talenting+surge stacking makes it pretty worthless anyway though.

I've noticed that if you use "Laze Target" the ability following that will cast to full but will not fire off, be it a snipe or a ambush. If you cast again everything works fine.

Hmm, interesting; I haven't noticed any problems with Laze Target, personally--I'll do some tinkering around with it to see if I can replicate that problem as well. For me, it seems to just be about getting into cover, portable or otherwise.

Update to this: I noticed that the "Laze Target" meaning next snipe wont finish casting effect only occurs if I use laze target from a keybind in my mouse. I have Snipe/Ambush bound on mousewheel and Laze Target on the same with a shift modifier. If I manually click the ability or use it by pushing say, button 4, the next ability does not get canceled.

Isn't cover bound to mouse by default as well? (I use F for mine but I think it's also Mouse3) and could this have something to do with the problem people are having?

Just wanted to chime in on this post. In pvp my snipe cancels constantly. I am not CCd and the target does not go out of range or LOS. The snipe almost completes then resets its duration. It basically makes it so when I play my sniper I can only throw grenades, which really defeats the purpose of playing a sniper... lol

I play a few other toons in PVP and none of their abilities are affected that I have noticed, just my cover abilities.

I am also having this issue and it's really annoying because my rotation for mobs is usually:

Keybind Kaliyo attack Mob A > Explosive Probe Mob B > Roll to Natural Cover > Snipe Mob B > Snipe Mob A (since Mob B is isually dead)

Not having Snipe work after roll to cover is very irritating...