The game doesn't need target-of-target.

DarrkLore

Yes you heard me right! Why? Because it already has target of target! It's "Alt+T" and you can even keybind it if you go in your preferences.

I know this might seem like a pretty silly thing to start a thread about but I feel like it had to be done since so many people are complaining that the game doesn't have it and that it should be a top priority for future patches. Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

Except that doesn't cover 90% of the times when ToT is helpful...

People aren't asking for the ability to select your targets target, they are asking for the ToT to appear as a UI element so they can actually monitor who is being targeted.

Yes you heard me right! Why? Because it already has target of target! It's "Alt+T" and you can even keybind it if you go in your preferences.

I know this might seem like a pretty silly thing to start a thread about but I feel like it had to be done since so many people are complaining that the game doesn't have it and that it should be a top priority for future patches. Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

You have never raided before. Or you have, and have been carried.

Except that doesn't cover 90% of the times when ToT is helpful...

People aren't asking for the ability to select your targets target, they are asking for the ToT to appear as a UI element so they can actually monitor who is being targeted.

Ahhh I've never played a game that had that feature so I guess I misunderstood what people were asking for.

You have never raided before. Or you have, and have been carried.

I've never raided in WoW. I come from FFXI which didn't have any of the fancy-shmancy tools that WoW has and that people are asking for in this game. So I guess I'm just used to having a very basic UI.

Edited by DarrkLore

It would fail because you'd be trying to heal the mob I'm fighting :p

Which would cast a heal on yourself.

Play a healer for any considerable amount of time and you will beg for a target of target display.

Hell play a character that is supposed to monitor/debuff/interupt/kite another mob that someone is attacking and you will give up your first born for it. Tunnel vision in on a single mob and just pew pew? yeah, you wont care.

Having to actually change targets just to see your target's target is arduous and annoying. What people are asking for is a frame that shows the target's target at all times.

I find it impressive, but I stopped being astounded by it about 5 years ago. Most people are just really, really bad.

Typical elitist response, attacking someone because they think differently than you. I think the op was trying to be helpful by point out something that worked for them, so why act like you're better than they are?

The truth is that FFXI didn't have much of a UI at all and the people that played it managed just fine without ToT, but to be fair that game didn't have near as many multiple target fights either so it was easier to tell which mob was being tanked. ToT is helpful sure, but not mandatory.

Typical elitist response, attacking someone because they think differently than you. I think the op was trying to be helpful by point out something that worked for them, so why act like you're better than they are?
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but truth is truth whether you like it or not. Edited by PessimiStick

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but truth is truth whether you like it or not.

Saying something that's true and being a complete jerk are two different things. You can do the first without having to resort to the second. And people thing LFG tools killed WOW's community.

Well to be fair, if you are going to start your own topic you should know what your talking about....

Otherwise prepare to be bashed / flamed :(

Especially while claiming that knowing is half the battle. :D

Edited by Purlana

Well to be fair, if you are going to start your own topic you should know what your talking about....

Otherwise prepare to be bashed / flamed :(

Even if someone does something dumb it doesn't logically follow that they should be flamed/bashed; corrected maybe, but not put down so utterly and heartlessly. This kind of garbage is what ruins communities. We need to actually help one another out, not crucify them for every dumb mistake.

Saying something that's true and being a complete jerk are two different things. You can do the first without having to resort to the second. And people thing LFG tools killed WOW's community.

I am the second, and have always been. It still has no bearing on the truthfulness of my original statement.

Even if someone does something dumb it doesn't logically follow that they should be flamed/bashed; corrected maybe, but not put down so utterly and heartlessly. This kind of garbage is what ruins communities. We need to actually help one another out, not crucify them for every dumb mistake.
Pointing out failure is helping them out. The tone of the message has no effect on the efficacy of the knowledge.

I am not saying that it should happen.

It's just the reality of the current situation on most online forums...

Pointing out failure is helping them out. The tone of the message has no effect on the efficacy of the knowledge.

If that's true (which it is) than being a jerk has no point. Why do it? You're just being a Jacka** for no reason. We have enough of them in WOW.

Because I am. Why are you being nice? Why are you male?

Please, being a jerk to people and being a male are two different things. One is a choice and one is not (barring major plastic surgery). In fact, i would argue if your goal is to make the game better by helping people see their error, being a jerk about it makes it even harder. Even if they shouldn't, people won't listen to a statement no matter how true it may be, if it is presented to them in a mean way. If you keep doing it anyway, its on you for wondering why they don't change when the anwser (not being a jerk) is right in front of you. Suddenly you have a larger role to play in the amount of bad players there are. You have the capacity to change it, you just don't want to. So stop whinning about it if you don't want to be part of the solution.

Edited by Moricthian

Same here. I've never played with so many bads in one game before. I lost count of the number of people who don't even know what CC is for in the first couple days. Tanks are clueless, healers spend all their resources DPSing...

SWTOR has a really, REALLY noobish community. It's bad.

So help them out. Explain what CC is and explain what healers should be doing. Don't just complain, be part of the solution.

Please, being a jerk to people and being a male are two different things. One is a choice and one is not (barring major plastic surgery). In fact, i would argue if your goal is to make the game better by helping people see their error, being a jerk about it makes it even harder. Even if they shouldn't, people won't listen to a statement no matter how true it may be, if it is presented to them in a mean way. If you keep doing it anyway, its on you for wondering why they don't change when the anwser (not being a jerk) is right in front of you. Suddenly you have a larger role to play in the amount of bad players there are. You have the capacity to change it, you just don't want to. So stop whinning about it if you don't want to be part of the solution.

It's a personality trait. I don't suffer fools lightly, and to most people, that makes me appear a jerk. I could make a concerted effort to be cupcakes and gumdrops to everyone, but I get nothing out of it, which makes it a waste of energy from my POV. Good players (who may currently be unskilled) will internalize criticism, get better, and cease being unskilled. Bad players won't. Bad players, generally speaking, are an utter waste of time, so at least I can sometimes get some entertainment value from their raging when their failure is made clear.

So help them out. Explain what CC is and explain what healers should be doing. Don't just complain, be part of the solution.

I do, but because bads often have a bad attitude about being bad, they start yelling about how they can play their game their way if they want to.

Sometimes they want to learn. In this community it seems a lot don't. Look at the original poster of this thread. She decided to start a thread lecturing the forum community with condescension about a subject she didn't even understand.