Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Getting steamrolled in Ilum - Any advice?

jagobus

I leveled to 50 (Carnage to 18, Annil to 30, Rage to 50) questing solo with Quinn as my healbot. That worked out pretty good and didn't have to much trouble with any quest except for the very ending class quest.. (I had to bring a friend)

Anyway, I hit 50 a few days and I am having a hell of a time in Ilum doing the daily quests.. Quinn isn't cutting it no more. He can't keep up pace with the damage I am taking.

I respecced Carnage at 50 and I pretty much decided to give Lt. Pierce a shot and see if I could get better mileage with him as my companion. I had a friend craft some blues and I crafted some blues as well and got him setup with all lvl 49+ gear and he still gets wrecked..

--

Am I missing something or is a pack of 2 mobs and a silver mob supposed to kill my companion and myself as well?? 2 Silver mobs is pretty much a guaranteed death. (obviously grouping would help this issue.)

Would I see better performance as annihilation?

Would a different companion be better suited for what I am doing?

I upgraded my hilts to the daily purple token hilts, should I grab a barrel for my companions weapon or work on modding his armor with the purple armor mod or mine?

Final thought: I really don't think this is a L2P issue but I am willing to change my playstyle if that is really the case.

Thanks in advance!

Hey there =] i Think you can do alot by gearing up quinn.. Also remove quinn's auto dps abilities and put him in healing stance If you haven't done that..

Though the illium mobs just hit hard.. But when you aquire some gear it will help..

speccing annihlator in combo with quinn should help, anni has 2 ways to provide heals, both via dots. One is the expertise that if you crit with your bleeds it also heals you, so if you land a crit on a bleed, each tick of the bleed until it wears off heals you. You can also hit berserk(at 30 fury) if it's up and every bleed/dot period heals you AND your group for 100% of the damage done on the bleeds as well.

That is where the extra "survivability" comes from when they say annih is good for operations and flashpoints etc. Plus its easier to maintain a moderatly high dps sustained for a period of time with annih whereas carnage and rage are for kill it quick then rest. So combine pro-longed heal over time with pro-longed damage and its a good pve combo for the difficult critters.

Anh is so far been great for levling but i find it lacking in PvP atm when it comes to it having only 1 escape

but from other MMOs gear really is the most important thing at end game as it stops a lot of the mass damage you get from basic mobs so you can focus on the elite ones

I haven't been to Ilum yet (level 49.5), but I'm having a lot of success with an Annihilation build with Broonmark tanking. In situations where there is one silver + 2 others, I always send him after the silver and I take down the two others, then focus on the silver. Broonmark tends to die a lot, but I don't care.

I leveled to 50 (Carnage to 18, Annil to 30, Rage to 50) questing solo with Quinn as my healbot. That worked out pretty good and didn't have to much trouble with any quest except for the very ending class quest.. (I had to bring a friend)

Anyway, I hit 50 a few days and I am having a hell of a time in Ilum doing the daily quests.. Quinn isn't cutting it no more. He can't keep up pace with the damage I am taking.

I respecced Carnage at 50 and I pretty much decided to give Lt. Pierce a shot and see if I could get better mileage with him as my companion. I had a friend craft some blues and I crafted some blues as well and got him setup with all lvl 49+ gear and he still gets wrecked..

--

Am I missing something or is a pack of 2 mobs and a silver mob supposed to kill my companion and myself as well?? 2 Silver mobs is pretty much a guaranteed death. (obviously grouping would help this issue.)

Would I see better performance as annihilation?

Would a different companion be better suited for what I am doing?

I upgraded my hilts to the daily purple token hilts, should I grab a barrel for my companions weapon or work on modding his armor with the purple armor mod or mine?

Final thought: I really don't think this is a L2P issue but I am willing to change my playstyle if that is really the case.

Thanks in advance!

You are seeing the same problem many others are seeing. This is one of the key issues we have.

I go with carnage and quinn still, you have to manage cds and stealth sharing aggro. It's just a pain in the butt.

It gets slightly better once you gear up, but for awhile just duo them. Until the devs buff us.

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah, I think I'm going to have to spec annihilation later tonight when I log in and see what kind of performance I can get out of that in Ilum.

Also, I'm sure getting new gear would make a HUGE difference as well. Hopefully in a few months, I'll be wondering why I thought these mobs were hard.

Ilum is balanced around people having pvp and starting raid gear.

I can see where you're coming from with this, however a source on that would be awesome. I find it hard to believe they would balance an area you can access right when you hit 50 around being end-game geared already.

I won't be the first to say it, but while the Marauder is manageable we need something. We need either a bit more damage, a bit more survivability or another CC.

Case in point:

Doing the Ilum planet chain and collecting the Kaleesh weapons. There was a Kaleesh Sentinel and 2 Supplymasters - healers - in one group. Burn down the Sentinel and go into a good 10 minute battle because I can't CC a supply master and I only have a limited amount of interrupts/stuns. The Sentinel ended up respawning and killing me.

If we had more damage I probably could've burned one of them down, as I got damn close before the other got two heals off while everything was on CD. If we had a real CC I could've popped one on one of the healers and burned them both down.

We're missing something. I really hope BioWare sees this.

I can see where you're coming from with this, however a source on that would be awesome. I find it hard to believe they would balance an area you can access right when you hit 50 around being end-game geared already.

I won't be the first to say it, but while the Marauder is manageable we need something. We need either a bit more damage, a bit more survivability or another CC.

Case in point:

Doing the Ilum planet chain and collecting the Kaleesh weapons. There was a Kaleesh Sentinel and 2 Supplymasters - healers - in one group. Burn down the Sentinel and go into a good 10 minute battle because I can't CC a supply master and I only have a limited amount of interrupts/stuns. The Sentinel ended up respawning and killing me.

If we had more damage I probably could've burned one of them down, as I got damn close before the other got two heals off while everything was on CD. If we had a real CC I could've popped one on one of the healers and burned them both down.

We're missing something. I really hope BioWare sees this.

That same thing happened to me.. It took forever (5 mins) of trying to kill one! =p

The biggest kick in the face was that right when one was about to die the Sentinel that was with them respawned.

Also, why the **** does our interrupt cost Rage? And why is it such a short range?

Agents get a 10m interrupt for free (granted a 12sec cooldown) and the Sniper/Gunslinger increases the range to 30 or 35 yards. What?

Edited by Kibaken

Without said gear you will suffer some hard fights in PVE. Once you gear up, the content becomes much more appropriate.

That makes no sense, wasnt the whole idea of Ilum for those people who either didnt want to raid or would just prefare doing more solo/small group content, im pretty sure they said Ilum was a gift to casual people.

So why would you need raid or even pvp to solo the place with some degree of success.

Without said gear you will suffer some hard fights in PVE. Once you gear up, the content becomes much more appropriate.

Not trying to come down on you but thats totally offbase. My powertech, leveled as a tank, still has shield spec, started out with garbage gear there and does fine. When my sorc gets there right after finishing Corellia I'm pretty sure he'll do fine too. Meanwhile, my jugg and marauder to-be are both sitting at level one....

OP, its not a L2P issue. Marauders aren't on par with other classes. Hopefully the next time they change this class it won't be like the "revamp" we got in beta, which was nothing but a huge nerfbat. Not that we didn't need some love before, but I seriously don't envy you guys now.

I haven't been to Ilum yet (level 49.5), but I'm having a lot of success with an Annihilation build with Broonmark tanking. In situations where there is one silver + 2 others, I always send him after the silver and I take down the two others, then focus on the silver. Broonmark tends to die a lot, but I don't care.

Annihilation is the best choice for leveling currently...and more than capable in end game flashpoints and ops. Any companion works well TBH. Vette, if geared, is pretty beast. Jaesa, with slightly less gear, can be VERY effective "tanking" silvers while you lay waste to regs. I know most say Quinn is the best choice. I can't necessarily disagree. But, if you HAVE TO use Quinn to survive, you're doing something wrong.

It is the gear. I am Carnage myself and my first day on Illum was hard.

Now I am in 126/136/140 gear and I kill everything on this damn planet without companion (besides the hero missions of course).

I am shocked an appalled. A warrior class that is gear-dependent??!?!?!?!?!!!!?!?!!?

Never seen that before.

/unsub

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.