The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

My ST/Pyro PvP build:

AnAcuteAngle

The first build is so much better it isn't even funny.

The entire reason that ST/Pyro works is because of the synergy between Flame Shield, Prototype Particle Accelerator, and Superheated Rail.

The second build lacks Prototype Particle Accelerator, which means it is missing the point entirely.

As to whether you should pick up Puncture or Flame Surge, I think it is about a wash. If you have low crit Flame Surge is probably better since it will be more reliable source of damage. If you have higher crit then Puncture and Rail Shot is likely better.

I've tried both, currently using Puncture. Both feel pretty comparable, but that is pretty subjective without any parsers, combat logs, or actual data to back anything up.

Edited by chainsawsamurai

21/2/18 no exceptions for my ST/Pyro build in PvP. You need the mobility, you need the extra damage on Rail Shot, you need the proc to reset Rail Shots' CD. How you move points around between ST or Pyro, your choice. But Jet Charge, PPA and Puncture are pretty much a must. Not taking those would be better to go 31 full out Pyro, AdvP or ST.

21/2/18 no exceptions for my ST/Pyro build in PvP. You need the mobility, you need the extra damage on Rail Shot, you need the proc to reset Rail Shots' CD. How you move points around between ST or Pyro, your choice. But Jet Charge, PPA and Puncture are pretty much a must. Not taking those would be better to go 31 full out Pyro, AdvP or ST.

I might as well outline the mandatory talents. The rest of the build is pretty flexable, but there is a core of about 4 talents that makes this whole build not fall flat on its face.

Pyro

Prototype Particle Accelerator

Superheated Rail

ST

Jet Charge

Flame Shield

Shield Vents

That is it. Those are the talent points that make this work. An ST/Pyro build without all of that is missing its core (Technically the "Rebounder" tank build is ST/Pyro, but that's an entirely different beast that I wont go into because I have not and likely will not try it).

There are 2 "float" points. Puncture is the standard, but Flame Surge I feel is also viable if your in actual tank gear and your crit chance is awful. Again, I'm using Puncture currently.

You might be able to build it around CGC, but I wouldn't bother. Guard is too useful in PvP and in all forms of content Shield Vents is just too damn good of a talent. Ion is the gold standard for this build imo.

Edited by chainsawsamurai

I think the giant boost to survivability outweighs the dps gain using IGC over CGC

Leveling and playing ONLY as a full pyro I can't imagine playing without an anytime snare. I realize Ion gives you a snare when you rocket punch but the whole reason I love the full pyro is because (1) its bursty and (2) i can control the fight against melee types. Flame burst, walk away at a 10M range and beat the crap out of melee types.

Without that technique it might be hard for me to adjust. I might try it though at some point because I will get bored.

• 5 weeks later...
I decided to create a pyro/st alt, and looking at the talents isnt specing into Ion Overload a waste as you are also specing into combustable gas.. or is it more like we need to borun some points

the points going into CGC are the ones being burned to get down the Pyro tree. You'll be using IGC not CGC with this build. You spec into CGC in the Pyro tree but it's only to get to Superheated Rail. As others have stated the survivability you gain from IGC makes it the standard.

The only reason you'd use CGC in this build is if you were like me and and you either Tank or DPS a fight in ops depending on what's needed. The build is very flexible that way.

Edited by MaxDeeps