The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

this is an mmo right?

bukla

All this debate...hey Elitists

MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online - thus all you need is a game that allows thousands of people to play W/E hell TETRIS together then you have my definition a MMO.

RPR = Role-Playing Game - this is SUCH a HUGE BRUSH write off. Origins were more Story Driven games where you play the hero or something like that.

MMORPG = Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game - these come in ALOT of varieties thought WoW is most popular.

MMORPG are really 2 types

WoW design - Which is adapted from ones before it, UO, EQ to name 2, and focus on more content at 'end game' with story being told threw end game (though communities care less and less about Storyline and more about loots and achievements)

SWTOR design - STORY DRIVEN, meaning focus is NOT endgame right away but Storyline of world, of character itself in the world. So if you are powerleveling for endgame in SWTOR then "YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG"! period.

SWTOR wont overthrow WoW cuz its endgame raider focused or PvP arena/BG focus but cuz people are just sick of the recycle of WoW. I know I am, thats why the STORYLINE of this game is whats getting me. Add more later, hell to somekind of endgame or zones to progress our character story and THUS games story is focus of this game.

TLDR - This is Story driven threw growing your characters Storyline if thats not what you are after, MOVE ON, "This is not the game you are looking for" /waves hand before you

sw:tor = wow. they are the same genre within a genre. they are both theme parks.

Mortal Online and any other sandbox would be a more suitable comparison imo. while TOR is "story driven", you impact in that story is limited. as with any themepark you have to figure out the exact way the devs want you to take down a boss, the creativity is removed.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

because you thought you'd do the first kill :rolleyes:

point missed, i did not do not have no inclining that i will get a first kill. My argument would be sated if every other person in the world save me got access at the same time. the point is that there is a hidden dimension not explored in the architectural design of the early access, that dimension is competition. ppl enjoy that sort of speculation.

Your whole point is moot. Any top-end guild that would be competing for a world first kill would have had all their players pre-order on day one. If they didn't they're not a top-end guild. So they're all going to be on the same playing field.

Who really cares about world first kill....... Go be a panda...

So.. what you're saying is.. the "average" person is no different than a pig or chimp? I guess I could get behind that. And, yet, you denigrated me for looking down on humans and common society and their "no better than **** flinging monkeys" intellect. I don't see many chimps or pigs building space ships and exploring space. ... Perhaps we should do a better job of helping our fellow humans to rise above rooting in mud and flinging *****.. hmm?

You'd be surprised at the average human intelligence level... Please account for the fact that a significant portion of the population has never used a computer, much less the internet. And last time i checked there are quite a few humans still "rooting in mud," less developed parts of Africa are the most common example.

Please understand that intelligence is different than knowledge. You can take the average human and teach it to use a computer. You can do the same for certain primates. This is knowledge. How fast they learn how to use the computer defines intelligence.

Yes this is another opinion of my definition of intelligence, but i think is a reasonable one.

The reality is that the normal mode world first kills will be relevant until people start clearing hard modes which will only be relevant until nightmare bosses start to go down. The first guild to full clear on the hardest difficulty will win the tier. That process *should* be long enough that a couple days head start won't make a lick of difference.

Some of you will care, some of you will not. I'll be raiding until my fingers cramp and my eyes bleed because that's what I call fun.

I strongly suggest that each and every one of you go forth and play in a way that brings you personal satisfaction and leave the rest of the community to do the same.

Cheers!

. the point is that there is a hidden dimension not explored in the architectural design of the early access, that dimension is competition. ppl enjoy that sort of speculation.

people may enjoy it, but it wont be a game breaker if they dont get it.

people may enjoy it, but it wont be a game breaker if they dont get it.

No it is not. No one is saying it is. Calling attention is in no way the same thing a QQ i quit cuz you guys won't let ppl compete. it's really really sad that they don't want to treat this as an mmo and instead insist its an RPG that many ppl play at the same time, but there is the room for both. this is a slip up. One I submit was not thought of. That is all that has been said so far

I dont care end game or first kill, i just want to lvl, do quests with my friends. Stop tellin me about first day preorder. Just look other mmos. İts better to wait till 20dec than splitting people. worst launch ever.

Some ppl says that u can play at lvl 50. Sorry but is this a mmo or singleplayer with co-op?

Nobody told me that i can party with my friends only at lvl 50

No it is not. No one is saying it is. Calling attention is in no way the same thing a QQ i quit cuz you guys won't let ppl compete. it's really really sad that they don't want to treat this as an mmo and instead insist its an RPG that many ppl play at the same time, but there is the room for both. this is a slip up. One I submit was not thought of. That is all that has been said so far

OP clearly felt it was a game breaker in every possible way.

Look, this is a MMORPG in genre designation only. This is as close to being a single player with a co-op mode as humanly possible. There is no social features in game that encourage any social interaction. you can literally level from 1-50 with out taking or doing a single group quest. You dont even need to have a helper to advance any of your crafting professions, just go out, farm up mats to your hearts content, have your companions make stuff, rinse and repeat.

should BW/EA have considered your thought, did they considered your thought? I would argue that they have and they also didnt feel that lack was a game breaker, only a mild letdown.

I dont care end game or first kill, i just want to lvl, do quests with my friends. Stop tellin me about first day preorder. Just look other mmos. İts better to wait till 20dec than splitting people. worst launch ever.

Some ppl says that u can play at lvl 50. Sorry but is this a mmo or singleplayer with co-op?

Nobody told me that i can party with my friends only at lvl 50

just do what many people is doing , take the game to the store, and get your money back. just wait untill GW2 or secret world gets released. you can always play skyrim or something else untill then.

Look, this is a MMORPG in genre designation only. This is as close to being a single player with a co-op mode as humanly possible. There is no social features in game that encourage any social interaction. you can literally level from 1-50 with out taking or doing a single group quest. You dont even need to have a helper to advance any of your crafting professions, just go out, farm up mats to your hearts content, have your companions make stuff, rinse and repeat.

should BW/EA have considered your thought, did they considered your thought? I would argue that they have and they also didnt feel that lack was a game breaker, only a mild letdown.

A) I am the OP

B) I think that they didn't think about it to the extent it deserves. they do not want this to feel like a MMO, they want it to feel like an RPG. howver when the dust settles it will only be an MMO. when 1-49 is done the game starts. there are many many people who like that aspect of the game. that is where they get their subs. the lvl 50's taking away from a dimension of lvl 50 gameplay is taking away from the game. that sort of thing has made many many other games fall flat on there going ftp faces. the journey maybe cool(and it is kinda their niche) but some ppl care about the destination. all aspects of it. they would be wise to rethink such things

A) I am the OP

B) I think that they didn't think about it to the extent it deserves. they do not want this to feel like a MMO, they want it to feel like an RPG. howver when the dust settles it will only be an MMO. when 1-49 is done the game starts. there are many many people who like that aspect of the game. that is where they get their subs. the lvl 50's taking away from a dimension of lvl 50 gameplay is taking away from the game. that sort of thing has made many many other games fall flat on there going ftp faces. the journey maybe cool(and it is kinda their niche) but some ppl care about the destination. all aspects of it. they would be wise to rethink such things

take a little break and clarity sinks in...

hang on, you're telling me each and every single point you brought up in your origonal post combined is not game breaking in any way? how is that possible?

youll have to forgive a bit of confusion, TBI...memory is gone along with most joints.

just do what many people is doing , take the game to the store, and get your money back. just wait untill GW2 or secret world gets released. you can always play skyrim or something else untill then.

iDefinilety just gonna play this game for spend my time till gw2 out

This is an MMO not a SP game. Once you get to 50 the actual game starts. You don't even know what you bought?

"Arenanet announces preorder details, the sooner you preorder, the sooner you get into early access."

Lol.

take a little break and clarity sinks in...

hang on, you're telling me each and every single point you brought up in your origonal post combined is not game breaking in any way? how is that possible?

youll have to forgive a bit of confusion, TBI...memory is gone along with most joints.

Nope. I'm still here. the post was about honest discussion. Ppl saw text and decided I had to be complaining ( ok it sucks that the competitive thing doesn't feel great right now), but in reality, just expressing what i feel to be a pretty bug oversight. honestly i don't even want in quite yet. I'd play, but I have a new job in Jan that Im slightly under qualified for and have some learning to do. But more wanted to see the great guilds in a Romanesque Colosseum fighting for first clears. that combat seems less relevant now. And i looked for an explanation why it was overlooked. and thoughts from the community on it. of course most of that was rage begets rage, from thinking i rage, but there was some good talk too.

It was stated long ago there will be no rewards for server/world firsts in swtor. They are counter to what the game is based around. The devs want people to enjoy the story and explore the world. A mad dash to 50 is not the main focus in the game so might as well take your time and enjoy the ride.
This!