ShieldSpec - Ability Priorities?

Stigas

Hi all, checked the first few pages. Trying to get some more information on Shield Spec Vanguards from a PvE perspective.

What abilities do you prioritize and which do you generally avoid, when tanking in groups and solo play?

Thanks.

I can only speak for solo but here is what I do.

Trash Priority:

-Pulse Cannon

-Sticky Grenade (second because if you do it first it could spread them apart making pulse cannon useless)

-Stockstrike

-High Impact Bolt

Elite/Gold Priority:

-Stockstrike

-High Impact Bolt

-Pulse Cannon (I feel it does more damage against a single target. It is like 3 ion pulses -but cheaper and faster.)

-Ion Pulse

-(Reactive Shield when I drop below half health)

-(Adrenaline Rush when I drop below half helath and reactive shield is down)

Tip: if you are fighting a group you are not sure you can beat (more then one) pop reactive shield at the beginning because that is when you are taking the most damage.

I am no expert and would love to get other peoples rotations as well.

It's basically

- get in melee range

- Stockstrike, High Impact Bolt and Energy Blast on every cooldown

- Fill with Hammer Shot and Ion Pulse.

- Try not to let ammo get too low.

Single mob pull is Storm (use Sticky Grenade until you get Storm) and then Ion Pulse (to get damage debuff).

Group pull is Explosive Round, Storm, Explosive Surge. Be prepared to Harpoon the furthest mob to the group. Use Pulse Cannon when all grouped up.

Edited by qwinnet

What I do is this:

Sticky Grenade, then Storm, Stock strike then HIB. If one NPC got knocked too far I'll harpoon them back and use Pulse Cannon. I'll hammer shot once then wait on cooldowns. I dont use Ion Pulse a lot because it's not that much higher damage than hammer shot and i find that Ion Cell can proc more because hammer shot seems to hit 2 or 3 times.

If it's an elite then I'll start the same way but add Cryo Grenade + full auto to the rotation after HIB.

Edited by Veragon

What I do is to play it the way I want. I have a mind of my own and I would never tell someone else the way they should play something. That being said, I don't have a rotation and I have fun so it works well! I hope you do too, whatever you choose to do. Happy Vanguarding!

What I do is to play it the way I want. I have a mind of my own and I would never tell someone else the way they should play something. That being said, I don't have a rotation and I have fun so it works well! I hope you do too, whatever you choose to do. Happy Vanguarding!

So what's the point of posting something like this in response to someone ASKING that exact question.

If someone's trying to maximize the amount of damage they're doing, and thus their effectiveness in raids, groups or PvP, then they NEED to pay attention to what abilities they're using and when they're using them.

Glad YOU'RE having fun, but that doesn't help the guy who's looking to have MORE fun by being better at his class.

That being said, I'm glad the first few people posted some excellent responses.

One thing I would add is that I have noticed a substantial damage reduction when using Smoke Grenade. I would point out that this is a rather useful skill and should be used every minute if you can giving you extremely high tanking ability.

Open with Smoke Grenade.

Reusable Med-kit if health below max it will heal for (maximize the number of cool-downs).

Adrenaline rush

Resuable Absorb Stim

Shield.

Thanks very much everyone that posted. I'm only level 14 but I still ended up looking at 20'ish abilities and just wanted to get the community's perspective on which were useful. I know later on those choices will be more obvious, and I'm sorry my OP was sort of ambiguous.

Thanks again for your help all! Very much enjoying my Trooper, even if my armor does make me look like a Backstreet Boy. :S

Also, I did take the general advice and went Biochem. I know I'm not very far but it's definitely saved my neck a few times when I get overzealous and pull 2 - 3 different packs before realizing there's a Strong in each. Great suggestion!

Edited by Stigas