What grade would you give Bioware today?

Zolaz

First I would take into account all the research the creation of this game involved. Their meticulous testing. Basically all the work they put in.

Second, I would give them credit for trying something different in more than one way, including the launch. Staggering the launch, although many people may not agree with it, is a way that they are working to try to solve a common problem amongst many mmo launches.

Thirdly, despite people not liking rockjaw, he is communicating and open to communication from us the frustrated customer regarding our happiness, which grading on a curve is far better then SOE has ever done. (DCU online)

Now, EA I see lowers there grade slightly with the whole grace period fiasco, which probably could have been handled better. But Bioware then gets extra credit for giving 2 extra days of staggering even if it isn't giving all of the us the 7 days that we now want. So overall a definite A.

Edited by WFSWTOR

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would at the moment give them a B

1. I think the people that are complaining about not getting in immediately are more centered on themselves than the thinking about the overall picture. In MMO launches of the past, there have been many where everyone is thrown into the fire at one time and then the MMO sits there and crashes over and over for 2 days. What happens with those launches? They go down as "one of the worst MMO launches in history.". Can you really blame Bioware for wanting to try a different approach? As far as I know, the servers have been rock solid. Awesome!

Try to remember that we were told that if you pre-ordered that you would have up to 5 days early access. Bioware decided on how they would do the waves, that they would take it slow at first in order to ensure stable servers and due to the fact that they knew it would start off as a slow process, they bumped it up 2 days to account for it. Yet, instead of players being happy that they could get even earlier access from the 2 extra days, they complain. Personally, I am a Sept 24th user. I expect to go in tomorrow and I also expect by the end of tomorrow that aboug 70-80% of the players will be in. That is 5 days early access for about 80% of the pre-orders and the rest will probably get in with 4 days of early access... complain about that? seriously?

2. I also do not understand the complains about unfair advantage. Of what? Server firsts? that are not recorded... great. PVP ganking? Seriously? That is the huge reason you are so mad at Bioware, that you may get ganked one or two times cause someone else got in a day earlier than you?

3. Oh yea, we have those complaining about the PVP exp exploit. What are you complaining about? that it existed? or that others got to do it and not you since you are not in yet? If you are complaining cause it existed, bugs happen. There are exploits in WoW all of the dang time, the game will be fixed and it will go away. If you are complaining cause others got to do it and not you.. then, well that just speaks for itself.

4. Then there is the gripe that "I took vacation days and I did not get in". Wha??? The early invites were not even supposed to go out until tomorrow. So you took vacation 2 days earlier than the early invites were supposed to even go out originally? Whos fault is that? Now if you are basing it on the news that we would get those 2 extra days, it was also known at that point that the early access would be done in waves based on reg date. So again, whos fault is that for taking those days early?

5. I will be honest that I have heard one complaint that I believe to be somewhat of a legitimate complaint and that would be Names. We all have names we want to use and some of us have names that many of our friends know us by in other MMOs or just names that we have used for many many years. Those that received earlier access definately had the advantage when getting ahold of certain names that others may want to use. It would have been nice if at some point prior to the launch that they would have had some sort of way to pre-register names for certain servers. Maybe they could have done the guild assignments to servers a week earlier and then had some sort of event that allowed players to go in and select names. A set date and time so that everyone knew would it would be happening, then it would be a fair first come first serve.

6. I also do agree that their could have been a little more communication about how the process was going to work. I do not mean by just announcing that it would be done in waves, but giving a little bit more detail on their strategy and thoughts. Such as "the first day we will be starting off slow but if things go well we will be really ramping up the 2nd day", etc.. An announcment with their goals of where they wanted to be after the first day, the second day, etc would have been nice. I am pretty sure at this point when they walk way from this with lessons learned, that will be one of them.

Other than that, I think they have done a great job in the way they did this and I am excited for the possibilities of this game in the future.

i rather crash all the time and fight with newbies for quest items at newbie zone, at least we all start at same lv.

now when i join the pvp server, all those players that got in before i do, they will gank all of us

You have no idea how visual marketing, and or tunnel vision works - do you?

Let me guess, you have never marketed a product, but rush to come in to defend a policy of marketing, that if used in any other avenue of business, would give disastrous results to that company?

...and you have no idea how to read what was stated apparently since you state yourself you focus on the 5 days and not the up to part. Apparently this visual marketing you speak of only works on the weak minded like a jedi mind trick.

Here's my response:

An immediate F for the playerbase after having read just a few pages of this thread.

Nothing new here, just more video game players that cannot comprehend how to think logically, and believe they are entitled to what was "promised" to them.

Here's the truth: you cry about it, you shouldn't get in until launch. End of story. You really think that it was required of them to allow some individuals early access? Come on.

This coming from someone who is not a Star Wars fanboy, nor am I a bioware fanboy. I enjoy games that peak my interest and games that have many redeeming qualities.

Frankly, everyone that reads this must understand. If you want to continue following the expectation that EVERY. SINGLE. online multiplayer game that has a fairly large following has a playerbase filled with whiners and people who are uninterested in playerbase reputation, be my guest. I'll just add that if you truly believe that complaining and whining constantly is your best option to get issues addressed, then you yourself have some issues to address.

Patience is a virtue. Wait your turn. Play the game. Have fun. Don't whine like a child. You win.

You have no idea how visual marketing, and or tunnel vision works - do you?

Let me guess, you have never marketed a product, but rush to come in to defend a policy of marketing, that if used in any other avenue of business, would give disastrous results to that company?

And yet this is standard advertising tactics used by many successful companies.

If you took the day off work/school yesterday or today in the hopes of getting in then I'm sorry but you've got some ****ed up priorities in life.

I had to be to work at 6am (PST), so I woke up at 5am. Checked my email, and found my invite. Oh, I wanted to call in sick, but I decided to be patient. I created my character really quick before leaving for work. No issues during character creation.

Got of work by 3pm. I logged into the game by 4pm. I had a flawless experience in SWTOR. No lag, no disconnects, no crashes, no bugs.

The only other MMORPG I was at launch for was SWG, and that was a cluster****. I've heard stories about the WoW launch, and I wouldn't call that a smooth launch either. SWTOR on the other hand, has been flawless so far for me. If this level of awesomeness is maintained on the 20th, I will say it has to be the most successful MMORPG launch I've ever heard of.

I understand some people are unhappy with the "wave" emails, and I can understand that. It would certainly be nice to know when you will receive access, though that's only REALLY important if you insist on logging in the minute you get the invite. If you get the email while you are at work, that's fine. You can log in when you get home.

For anybody who is afraid of forgetting their security questions, go to your account page, and take a screenshot of your answers. Save that on your computer, and if you ever get asked, pull up the pic, and read what you wrote. Yes, you will have to answer one security question to get into the page, so hopefully you know that one. After that, you will have them all.

To recap, I give BioWare a solid "A" based on my own experience. If this level of performance is maintained on the 20th, I will say it has to be the most successful MMORPG launch I've ever heard of.

Edited by PlayLoud

Definitely happy with this launch. Personally I am happy that they rewarded early adopters by letting them in first instead of the normal method of allowing all the kids/no jobbers fill up the server and forcing the "working man" to get home from work only to be stuck in queues until bedtime.

So those that would blindly jump on board for a game before many details about it's content were released, their purchase backed only by faith in a company, would be well adjusted, intelligent adults?

While those who actually waited for the trickle of information to start and for details about content and mechanics to be released are kids and jobless losers?

Here's my response:

Nothing new here, just more video game players that cannot comprehend how to think logically, and believe they are entitled to what was "promised" to them.

Because they are F-ing entitled to them. The pre-orders came almost ENTIRELY from the promise of early access. Without it, there is no damn reason to pre-order a digital purchase as there is no concerns or limits to stock and supply.

Here's the truth: you cry about it, you shouldn't get in until launch. End of story. You really think that it was required of them to allow some individuals early access?

...YES. BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THEY PROMISED TO THOSE WHO PRE-ORDERED. This isn't some gift that Bioware is giving to their fans in their great benevolence. It's a service that people are paying for.

This coming from someone who is not a Star Wars fanboy, nor am I a bioware fanboy. I enjoy games that peak my interest and games that have many redeeming qualities.
You are without a doubt, a bioware fanboy.

Don't whine like a child.

In the case of being unsatisfied with a purchase, doing nothing would be the child-like response.

Edited by Vgbeee

Today? A.

Sure, I don't like having to wait to play and I really don't understand why after the stress test they aren't letting more people in at a time, but they obviously thought this out and are trying to make the launch as smooth as possible. And I may not understand, but they obviously have an idea about what they're doing no matter all the QQ that is all over the forums and I trust since this is their job and all, their judgement is better than mine.

Let me get this rolling with a solid F.

Poor peformance. People on these forums dont seem to like Bioware at the moment, that is going to hurt you on your peer eval. Lack of Effort, put in a minority of the population today then decided to go home. Really ... you have some "team" working 24/7 and they are "busy" "working" right now? Come on, show some respect to people they have brains. You dont chill for 18 hours and say you are hard at work.

I hope Bioware tries harder in the future.

Your more qualified to do the job then they are? Then where is your MMO?

Edited by Eclio

Let me get this rolling with a solid F.

Poor peformance. People on these forums dont seem to like Bioware at the moment, that is going to hurt you on your peer eval. Lack of Effort, put in a minority of the population today then decided to go home. Really ... you have some "team" working 24/7 and they are "busy" "working" right now? Come on, show some respect to people they have brains. You dont chill for 18 hours and say you are hard at work.

I hope Bioware tries harder in the future.

A+ for not caving to the stupid QQer's who didnt preorder soon enough.

A+

The game is trucking along smoothly and the only complaints have been about a non-issue.

non issues to you, big issues to the people complaining about them. Things like the UI being horrible and needing to be extensively customizable has been a big complaint since early in beta, by MANY people, but it hasn't been addressed yet.

F-

1. Never told us when we'd get access. 1000's of fans took today off work and school and for what? To sit around all day hoping to get an invite that never came.

2. Only gave access to the first 6 days of pre-orders. They have 150 more days to go.

3. The Bioware team calls it quits at 2pm CST and heads home for the night.

4. All current available servers have been XP pvp exploited.

5 All current servers except one are "Light" or "standard" population, and those lucky enough to get in game, can't find groups because the entire world is mostly empty.

6. Crappy UI

7. No combat log

I'll play my first 30 free days then I'm done with Bioware forever.

It's like Ford. My dad bought a brand new Ford Tempo in 1989. The thing was the biggest piece of junk you'd ever seen.

I will never, ever buy a Ford because of that.

WHAT!!????????? How that hell am i going to know the damage I take and if in PVP some1 is hacking?

...YES. BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THEY PROMISED TO THOSE WHO PRE-ORDERED. This is some gift that Bioware is giving to their fans in their great benevolence. It's a *********** service that people are paying for.

You paid $5 for pre-order, even if you get in on the 19th they are still giving you EXACTLY what you paid for. The rest of the money you paid is for the game and game time after the official launch on the 20th of December.

They are delivering on exactly what they promised, just because you fail at reading does not make BW bad.

Quote from Origin on the page where you purchase the pre-order:

Early Game Access will begin on December 13th, 2011, seven days prior to the official launch. Starting December 13, 2011, invitations will be sent throughout the Early Game Access period offering rolling access to the game in the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code, so be sure to check your email inbox tied to your Star Wars: The Old Republic™ account!

It's amazing how many kids are pissed that Bioware is doing exactly as they said they would.. Such a terrible company.. lol.

Well i'd give BW a C+ so far, and yet i'm not in yet (shock!)

But more importantly, i'd give 90% of the COMMUNITY a resounding F- for being complete and utter spoilt, impatient crybabys. Seriously, i'm embarrased to be part of it atm. God knows what BW must think of us.

Every one of us knew about the staggered pre-order concept, yet reading these forums is unreal.

Because they are F-ing entitled to them. The pre-orders came almost ENTIRELY from the promise of early access. Without it, there is no damn reason to pre-order a digital purchase as there is no concerns or limits to stock and supply.

...YES. BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THEY PROMISED TO THOSE WHO PRE-ORDERED. This isn't some gift that Bioware is giving to their fans in their great benevolence. It's a service that people are paying for.

You are without a doubt, a bioware fanboy.

In the case of being unsatisfied with a purchase, doing nothing would be the child-like response.

You're pretty upset about something, I'm not sure why you just can't be patient. I'd be willing to bet a couple hundred dollars that you get in by the originally scheduled pre-order date. Thus fulfilling their original promise and making your entire point moot.

As for me being a bioware fanboy...no. I've played blizzard games for the past 13 years and would consider myself to be more of a blizzard fanboy than anything...but even then I never jumped on their bandwagons and have continued to play games that peak my interest, as I said in my original statement. Again, you are really angry at me, and I suggest that you analyze underlying issues that you may possess. The only Bioware game i've played extensively is BG2...yet another argument against your strange anger and raging statements.

If you don't get in by tomorrow, you can rage at them. Just like all the other people who believe they get everything they are promised. Seriously...if every company gave you everything that they promised to you ever...think of where you would be in life. Just calm yourself.

A+

Our Guild deployed without issue to the server, was a simple process to join the guild on first log on.

- Played to level 10 last night after work (My wife and I have been in the Beta for a very long time so we know the starting zones really well)

- No performance issues, crashes server interruptions etc.

- Our shard had a steady 80-85 people on it last night and felt nice and busy but not to busy. Never had to wait for any of the "Kill the Druids" quests out side the Jedi temple.

- There was 2 active shards on Tython the whole night.

- The top level I was able to find on our server was 19 which seems in line with what I could do in 12hours if I did not have to work.

Sucks that people have to wait but such is life.