My (positive) expierience with Mara so far (lvl 30)

Howdie

So before I go to work or when I've got some downtime I try to get on here and learn to play my class a little better, see what people have to speculate on each build and get a better overall idea of how my class is supposed to play. Every time I get on here though, I find myself search through pages of flame threads about how ****** our class is, and how we have to use Quinn, and how bioware is so stupid for blah blah blah, and I apologize how this semi-long introduction into my topic. I have played carnage and Anni specs for leveling (currently anni, switched about 21 when I could get deadly saber) and in my honest opinion, because with a damage meter and any hard numbers it's all I have, I have had no problem what so ever leveling as both carnage or anni, and I have used Vette the entire time and had no problems, and I have dabbled in pvp and done moderately well, and overall I LOVE this class, just the way it is.

I'm not going to lie, pre level 20 it was rough, I was ending up with 25% health after taking on a silver and 2 weak mobs, I was having to duck and weave through patrols to make sure I never aggroed more than I could take, I DIED... quite a few times, but you know what, I enjoyed this class more because of it. The class quest was actually interesting, it kept me on my toes, and if I wasn’t paying attention, I got the crap kicked out of me. I like popping my CDs to have to beat a story elite, and I like the challenge they brought me when doing my main story mode. Also to clarify pre 20 I was a weird carnage anni hybrid that was supposed to maximize fury to I could constantly have berserk up, it would decently but not quite the way I had intended.

Then I hit 21 and specced to anni, which is my current build, and it seems easier, I’ve also changed some key bindings and I believe have just gotten an overall better feel for my toon. The main problem I’m having is that mobs are dying too fast to get anything beneficial from myself heals.

I'm currently level 30 and just hit alderaan. I will admit I did group with a sith assassin friend while on tatoonie, but I did play solo and I was not having much trouble taking down groups or even elites with 1 or 2 adds, but I never tried 1 elite with 2 silver adds. All in all though I’m very pleased with this class and the things I would think about changing are pretty negligible, primarily having an aoe stun I can use on silvers, or another aoe altogether.

I'm sure this thread will inevitably turn into a flame war or whatever, but for people like myself who aren't sitting here complaining about how crap the class is and are actually trying to learn from the people who know what they’re doing, here's a thread to show that it’s not really the class as much as it is the people who are pissy because this class requires a decent amount of attention that are giving Mara a bad rep.

Also, quick little thing, if any of the aforementioned "people who know how to play this class well, and aren't going to complain about how horrible Mara is" would like to help me, I’m leveling Anni right now, but I feel like I’m not reaping the benefits I should be from the DOT heals, is there a better way of going through a pull? Or I’ve read a couple places that Rage is more centered on AOE damage, mainly smash, would that spec be a bit more viable for questing leveling? And just some overall tips on how to improve would be greatly appreciated.

Which spec are you using at the moment if you don't mind me asking? Like I said, I've been reading about rage for a leveling spec but I wasn't sure.

And I wanted to give a little bit of evidence that it wasn't that sucky instead of just saying it.

Which spec are you using at the moment if you don't mind me asking? Like I said, I've been reading about rage for a leveling spec but I wasn't sure.

And I wanted to give a little bit of evidence that it wasn't that sucky instead of just saying it.

Rage isnt That bad, Once you gain force crush it really picks up since there will then be two abilities that you can use to stack the multiplier that causes smash to Increase in damage by alot, plus with Force Charge and the other jump charge ability(i cant remember its name at the moment) Smash will always crit, also since you are in Shii-cho form you will have a bit of damage resistance as well as a bit more depending on how you spec

My pvp build atm is http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bZhMMZGMRbdrMdGR.1 uptime of predation is amazing(sometimes it bugs and u can keep it 24\7), but I suggest you to lvl in annihilation till 50( something like this, http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bIrRRRMfGzZhMb.1 gonna try it in pvp ...I was rage from 40, but I met problems in pve with bosses sometimes

Just wanted to say that I absolutely love this class as well and I'm sick of the QQ threads and am glad to see a thread like this come up. I am currently level 20 and have gone Anni all the way through and still enjoyed it. I love having classes with plenty of offensive cooldowns and the bleeds in this game are outragiously good.

As for how to benefit from the bleed heals, so far I've found out that I couldnt while soloing. Unless you do a heroic or a flashpoint, and that is where Annihilation really shines and is the most fun in my opinion.

Finally a Mara thread that isn't all "Maras suck and need to be turned into easy button mode". Started working on a Marauder Sunday afternoon/evening and the play style is right up my lane. Been running Carnage so far and loving it, although considering giving anni a shot to see how I like it. Even as it is I see a lot of potential in Marauders. Tell me though which do you like better Carnage or Annihaltion?

Edit: I guess I should say I'm just south of 21 right now so plenty still to go.

Edited by Hyfy

Happy you enjoying the class. I too love this class :)

Sadly though, With how flash points are, the lack of CC and other classes bring more to the table and make the game easier. Also having to be out gear everyone else just to be on par to make up for the lack of CC. I think and most of the people around would agree this class deserves better treatment.

So while we get fan boys or trolls saying they like the class because it is hard, No class is hard to play. This is a MMO and it does not require the greatest of gaming skills. With that being said there is something wrong with a class that requires a huge amount of effort just to be on par with everyone else. The class starts to feel more like a chore instead of a death machine that you don't want to piss off.

If other classes get this ****** feeling of death, mara has that feeling also, as long as you jump in saying don't tase me bro.

Edited by Teladis

My marauder is 30 (carnage speced) and i tear through things much safer/faster than my assassin (deception) did at this level. Looking at the 31 point skill i cant help but feel its going to be a larger upgrade for me than my assassins 31 point skill as well.

Of course i have a healing companion now and my assassin did not get one till the late 30s, but that im clearing groups of enemies faster now than my assassin was with a non healer pet at the same level gives me hope.

Of course the assassin had stealth and stuff making pve a lot easier in other ways, but as far as killing speed and survivability at level 30 goes i have to give it to the marauder.

My assassin was great at pvp however, and ive not tried it with the marauder yet since ive heard that its bad until you are 50 on marauder. Ive certainly met some scary high level marauders as an assassin in battlegrounds.

Also, quick little thing, if any of the aforementioned "people who know how to play this class well, and aren't going to complain about how horrible Mara is" would like to help me, I’m leveling Anni right now, but I feel like I’m not reaping the benefits I should be from the DOT heals, is there a better way of going through a pull? Or I’ve read a couple places that Rage is more centered on AOE damage, mainly smash, would that spec be a bit more viable for questing leveling? And just some overall tips on how to improve would be greatly appreciated.

How's your crit rating? Once you get a high crit the healing from the bleeds really starts adding up. Make sure to switch targets when a target is bleeding and nearly dead. No point in continuing on him.

For groups with any sort of elite mob I usually put a Rupture and DSx3 on him and then take care of the flunkies while the bleeds feed me rage and health (oh and kill him :) )

I'm really enjoying the added survivability the heals give. I managed to solo all of the Nar Shadaa bonus series heroic 2+s, which was pretty exciting. I see a lot of people talking about how squishy we are - which is true - but we have some incredible damage avoidance tactics available to us to prevent getting hit in the first place. There's no way I could of took on some of the 2silver/1 gold groups I've done as a Mara on my tank specced/geared PT.

Sadly though, With how flash points are, the lack of CC and other classes bring more to the table and make the game easier. Also having to be out gear everyone else just to be on par to make up for the lack of CC. I think and most of the people around would agree this class deserves better treatment.

So while we get fan boys or trolls saying they like the class because it is hard, No class is hard to play. This is a MMO and it does not require the greatest of gaming skills. With that being said there is something wrong with a class that requires a huge amount of effort just to be on par with everyone else. The class starts to feel more like a chore instead of a death machine that you don't want to piss off.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the CC complaint for flashpoints. We do have a CC, droid only like the IA's, but a CC nonetheless. We also provide party utility. Predation, Annhi Berserk, and Bloodlust are all extremely useful. Good Obfuscate use is also pretty amazing.

No class is truly hard to play, but certain classes/specs CAN have a varying degrees of skill floors/ceilings. My Marauder isn't 50 yet so I cannot say how they fare there, but I have noticed most 50 Mara's I see boasting about being great aren't doing anything no other class can.

Despite that - whether we are underpowered or not - It's not really productive to come into a thread asking for Marauder advice and go on about how terrible we are. There's plenty of threads dedicated to that topic.

Edited by Slashrandom

If other classes get this ****** feeling of death, mara has that feeling also, as long as you jump in saying don't tase me bro.

You always say most people think the class is bad but I see about 60%/40% split with 60% saying its fine or needs little tweaks and 40% being like you saying it sucks.

I am enjoying it. I have only had one elite that I was not able to kill, even with Quinn. The res thave been easy enough with proper CD management. Its been easier leveling than with my Jedi Shadow.

Im not a huge fan of bleeds, as I like huge upfront damage(which to me is what dual wielding should be). But, I can adapt.

Im curious about carnage leveling... Ive heard to stay away from it, but maybe I should give it a try?

You always say most people think the class is bad but I see about 60%/40% split with 60% saying its fine or needs little tweaks and 40% being like you saying it sucks.

The few trolls who say that the class is fine are the same ol same ol. more and more new people see the flaws. More people on my server and in game see the flaws. the people who think its a l2p issue is the very very small amount of players.

The few trolls who say that the class is fine are the same ol same ol. more and more new people see the flaws. More people on my server and in game see the flaws. the people who think its a l2p issue is the very very small amount of players.

Really, because I see the opposite, most people I talk to seem to think they are fine.

Also, people who think it are fine are not trolls, a lot of your comments are much more trolly than any of theirs. You tend to be very insulting when you post and refuse to listen to anything.

Really, because I see the opposite, most people I talk to seem to think they are fine.

Also, people who think it are fine are not trolls, a lot of your comments are much more trolly than any of theirs. You tend to be very insulting when you post and refuse to listen to anything.

I could care less about if I come off trolly or not. I explain the problem countless times and get told to l2p and get shown pvp screen shots on damage.

In beta, there was a ton more people who explain the same problems with the class, so they gave us a fury system that was not the answer to the problems with the class.

I really get tired of repeating myself about the issues, People will keep beating low levels and happy to see them pvp numbers, saying l2p. These people are the baddies who don't understand what the problem is and are the ones dragging the class down.

Anything anyone on this forum can do I can do as well, yet when I see the problems and see what other classes can do. It seems like they are the ones that need to l2p.

I could care less about if I come off trolly or not. I explain the problem countless times and get told to l2p and get shown pvp screen shots on damage.

In beta, there was a ton more people who explain the same problems with the class, so they gave us a fury system that was not the answer to the problems with the class.

I really get tired of repeating myself about the issues, People will keep beating low levels and happy to see them pvp numbers, saying l2p. These people are the baddies who don't understand what the problem is and are the ones dragging the class down.

Anything anyone on this forum can do I can do as well, yet when I see the problems and see what other classes can do. It seems like they are the ones that need to l2p.

Except I see a lot of marauders who beat 50's 1v1 or even 2v1. I am only 42 and I have beaten lvl 50's 1v1 and 2v1 before (usually die with the 2nd one).

So I know from personal experience they are fine. And I know a lot of other people I talk to have the same experience.

Edited by Drathmar

The class is fragile. It does not mean it's broken.

If enough ppl cry about it and Bioware caves in and gives the class some buffs fine with me.

People have argued the pros/cons about PvE leveling vs PvP vs end game of different classes forever. The game has been out less than a month. Relax.

I enjoy the class and look bad***** with two sabers. If more people are scared off playing a marauder because of all the negativity it's more loot for me.

I used to buy into the gospel that the marauder is a glass cannon. Well it is a glass cannon. However if you blast the mob in the face even harder then you win. I've tackled 2-3 gold starred elites at the same level solo and come out on top. It's all in the prep.

Edited by grueber

The class is fragile. It does not mean it's broken.

If enough ppl cry about it and Bioware caves in and gives the class some buffs fine with me.

People have argued the pros/cons about PvE leveling vs PvP vs end game of different classes forever. The game has been out less than a month. Relax.

I enjoy the class and look bad***** with two sabers. If more people are scared off playing a marauder because of all the negativity it's more loot for me.

I used to buy into the gospel that the marauder is a glass cannon. Well it is a glass cannon. However if you blast the mob in the face even harder then you win. I've tackled 2-3 gold starred elites at the same level solo and come out on top. It's all in the prep.

Exactly.

I've also tackled champion (the bright white star mobs) mobs solo at only 1 level above them as well. Hard as hell fight but fun :).

Ok heres the bottom line.There are some bugs going on with the mara which will be fixed im sure of it but......they still whoop ***. For those that say its broken they do bad dps its cause your bad at the class reroll another toon its not for you. I have no trouble at all soloing 2 same lv elites at lv 30 its not a roll your face on the keyboard and do dps type of class go play a bh or inquis if thats what u want mara actually takes some skill

I love my Marauder very much. Easily my favourtiest character of all the ones I have rolled so far. I've never had any issues with survivability and dying, even if I do end up a bit low at times.

In fact, the only thing I dislike about Marauder is Vette.

OTOH, running around with two red sabers is just plain awesomesauce.

Why do you feel the need to troll every positive Marauder thread and QQ about the class?

We don't have 15 CC abilities do you know why?

BECAUSE WE DON"T NEED THEM!

I never use the one I have as it is.

You kept telling me wait until I get in my 40's.. well guess what, I'm in my 40's now and guess what... I'M STILL A BEAST!

Common denominator seems to be YOU.

Class is fine.

as said above "just because it's fragile doesn't mean it's broken".

Go troll somewhere else.