Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Bioware, You Want to Resuscitate This Game? Then Implement The Following.

Xugos

I like this list and am in favor of all the modifications listed.

I don't remember seeing it in the list, but if we could also get the UI to be a little less monochromatic, I'd be in favor of it.

I logged into a different MMO today, and was surprised at how much color was on the screen all the time. I realized how overwhelmingly navy blue SWTOR is.

Maps are really annoying in just blue. Light blue on dark blue with blue lettering might be fine for blueprints, but maps really benefit from color! Blue is for water, people! Let's have some greens, some browns going on in these maps.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHAHA gold farming was illegal as well but it happens, please try and be a little more resourcefull. Just because it's illegal your saying people didnt do it?

Macro's do not provide a level playing field, oh i'll use them if introduced and keybind them to my nostromo but I would much prefer they be left out of the game as they take away from a players skill other than the ability to write them.

They offered efficiency and better play ability. Only those who were ineffective in adapting to macros are those that think they were a poor design flaw.

Apparently I am less skilled if I were to use an additional hotkey to use Static Barrier on Khem Val then if I were to manually have to click on his portrait every 20 seconds to re-apply it.

Oh, how annoying it is - I wish there were some form of tool I could use to make this more efficient and less annoying. Oh wait, macros!

Edited by Treyzorz

HAHAHAHA gold farming was illegal as well but it happens, please try and be a little more resourcefull. Just because it's illegal your saying people didnt do it?

Macro's do not provide a level playing field, oh i'll use them if introduced and keybind them to my nostromo but I would much prefer they be left out of the game as they take away from a players skill other than the ability to write them.

Yeah, but if you have a program that executes more than 1 GCD in WoW for a single keystroke, then their auto-scanning system, warden.exe, automatically boots you from their servers and bans/suspends you at the discretion of a GM.

Poor argument against add-ons, to say the least.

This kind of reply is quite common on this forum as a response to any kind of criticism. I realize it would be easier for him to get his point accross without implying that the game is dying, but that doesn't mean he didn't make valid points about particular issues. Which fixes that the OP posited do you disagree with? Do you not want a LFD tool? That's understandable, though I'd disagree with it. How about a more responsive game, or a way to parse your own abilities? I don't think this game will go under, but I'd very much like some of the improvements listed by the OP to be implemented.

I agree, half the comments made by OP in his initial post are vaild.

But rather than sounding petulant and demanding it could have been written differently. As to my remarks if the features in wow make you happy then go back to wow i also believe it's vaild. There was a great deal in that game that I honestly dont want to see here (my opinion, not stated as a general fact). If all the features are introduced and this becomes wow in space then what is the point of playing when people already have multiple fully capped & geared characters in wow?

I like this list and am in favor of all the modifications listed.

I don't remember seeing it in the list, but if we could also get the UI to be a little less monochromatic, I'd be in favor of it.

I logged into a different MMO today, and was surprised at how much color was on the screen all the time. I realized how overwhelmingly navy blue SWTOR is.

Maps are really annoying in just blue. Light blue on dark blue with blue lettering might be fine for blueprints, but maps really benefit from color! Blue is for water, people! Let's have some greens, some browns going on in these maps.

I won't add that in for the sake of being much too specific, but I believe "a customizable UI" would include the option of removing monochromatic aspects of the UI by simple extension.

I agree with most everything the OP has posted, people who disagree are trolls or low levels.

The lack of what should be considered (in 2011/2012) basic MMO features is just astounding.

Edited by Draccman

I agree with most everything the OP has posted, people who disagree are trolls or low levels.

The lack of what should be considered (in 2011/2012) basic MMO features is just astounding.

I am hoping that Bioware has everything contained within my consolidated list and more on their minds, and that they will address most of it before time runs out. We'll see, I suppose.

Macros are a rather large barrier to entry especially in some scenarios. I would've preferred to play WoW without literally spending 2 hours writing and testing macros (never mind the time required for muscle memory) for half the classes i played at level cap in competitive pvp. They are extremely unintuitive and not something most of the player base will take advantage of anyway.

Macros are a rather large barrier to entry especially in some scenarios. I would've preferred to play WoW without literally spending 2 hours writing and testing macros (never mind the time required for muscle memory) for half the classes i played at level cap in competitive pvp. They are extremely unintuitive and not something most of the player base will take advantage of anyway.

Most people within WoW just copy/paste complex macros. Once you learn how to use macros, you learn to love them. The learning curve is steep, but the reward is worth it.

Because the OP knows exactly what everyone in this game wants... right?

Seriously, shut your yap and play the game. Or don't. I don't care. They have the first content patch next month already. Why don't we just wait and see what happens before we start the hyperbole and melodrama?

nerdrage?

If all the features are introduced and this becomes wow in space then what is the point of playing when people already have multiple fully capped & geared characters in wow?

So which features from Xugos' list are things that would turn TOR into WoW in space... I'm dying to know. From what I can tell most of what he's asking for are fixes to broken or poorly implemented features.

I agree, half the comments made by OP in his initial post are vaild.

But rather than sounding petulant and demanding it could have been written differently. As to my remarks if the features in wow make you happy then go back to wow i also believe it's vaild. There was a great deal in that game that I honestly dont want to see here (my opinion, not stated as a general fact). If all the features are introduced and this becomes wow in space then what is the point of playing when people already have multiple fully capped & geared characters in wow?

We don't want WoW, we want SWTOR. Why can't you figure this out?

We want the successful core functional features that WoW among other MMOs offered in SWTOR.

It has nothing to do with gear. Nothing. It has nothing to do with instances, story, lore, ANYTHING. Just the functionality around that.

I love the codex system. It is awesome. WoW sees that it is awesome. WoW will mimick the codex. WoW has now become SWTOR in medieval fantasy times, by your standards.

All I want are successful features such as macros, LFG system, good AH system.

I don't see why you can't see it. I give up trying to convince you.

Edited by Treyzorz

So which features from Xugos' list are things that would turn TOR into WoW in space... I'm dying to know. From what I can tell most of what he's asking for are fixes to broken or poorly implemented features.

Apparently he thinks that only WoW can have good design.

I don't understand how you understand nothing I say. I must not be conveying myself properly.

I'll say it for the 50th time. I and WE do not want WoW in space. We want the core successful features that all MMOs had: WoW, Warhammer, EvE, Aion, Conan, Lineage, etc. etc.

Note that some had major flaws but what you do is take the successful aspects of those games.

By your standards, because we want a strong core of features. We are automatically wanting an EVERY MMO THAT EVER EXISTED WARS: The Old Republic.

It's called using what is successful and then evolving from there. So why are we taking a step back in the MMO evolutionary chain?

Because they arent necessary............................................

Guilds are already raiding heroic modes, no threat meters, no damage meters, no macros, & no mods. So the questions needs to be asked why do you need them?

The impression I get is because other games have them, not because Swtor needs them

Do you understand? Dont import unecessary features just because they existed in other games. If we do then in 6 moths time there will be an outcry for increased difficulty (not that i havent already read a few posts asking exactly for that without using easymode thrid party programs) simply because players are using third party programs to make their game play easy mode.

3 instances (flash points) isn't exactly a major content patch.

Spare me the sardonicism please.

it is when it appears that they will be adding more content little by little, but every month.

@ OP. I came in here, prepared to automatically disagree, but... I actually agree with most of your points. not all of them, but most.

one of the major things i disagree with is addon support. now, bear with me - I would absolutely love customizable UI, movable bars and mouse over casting. however. I would much rather wait a little longer and have it be implemented within the game, then have to run third party mods that tend to break with every new patch and put more stress on my computer then it may be able to handle.

personally I would really rather bioware implements features themselves. as much as I enjoy certain addons in solo games, I've come to realize that addons in MMO's are different. at some point, some of them literally stop being optional. (like UI and raidframe customization, or anything else that measurably changes how you play)

as far as sharding... I very much enjoy not having to wait for half an hour for spawns. I enjoy my framerate actually staying reasonable, instead of slowing down to a crawl becasue my computer is having trouble rendering all these people, I enjoy being actually able to select an npc, becasue its not completely covered by all the other players who are also trying to click on an npc. 50 people is more then it seems. the compromise I could see is increasing the upper limit of how many people are allowed per shard. but the system IMO is genius, becasue it allows you to play in potentially crowded areas without it being detrimental to your ability to actually play.

lastly - Ah. while it needs to be optimize, without a doubt, I believe that 50 item limit is there to discourage gold selling /over the top market manipulation. maybe raise it to a 100 but I wouldn't want them to make it unlimited, personaly.

They offered efficiency and better play ability. Only those who were ineffective in adapting to macros are those that think they were a poor design flaw.

Apparently I am less skilled if I were to use an additional hotkey to use Static Barrier on Khem Val then if I were to manually have to click on his portrait every 20 seconds to re-apply it.

Oh, how annoying it is - I wish there were some form of tool I could use to make this more efficient and less annoying. Oh wait, macros!

Dont you mean easier, aw shucks I need to click a key every 20 secs but if i macro I only need to click it once...................easymode for bad players

The replies in this thread are pretty funny.

It seems that there's two groups: those in favor of changes, and those against the changes.

If you're against these changes, and believe that making changes to the game will only turn it into WoW, then do you actually think the game as it is currently deployed is perfect? Completely impossible to improve?

The nature of MMO games, and the reason we keep paying our monthly dues, is change. The devs will continue to change the game, over and over, until the final server is turned off.

So if you don't like these changes, then are there any changes you'd be in favor of, or are you just going to live a very difficult life, rallying against every change the developers come up with? Will it be "Hmm... Bioware is adding 'Feature X'. Does WoW have anything similar? No? Okay, then I guess I can live with it. But only if those WoW fans hate it."??

How irrational is that??

He has a point though, they still to this day haven't fixed the blink issue that's been in game since day one.

Addressing though on the topic of 20 days comment you made to me let me make something perfectly clear...

ANYONE who plays mmo's and knows how mmo's roll knows it takes longer then 20 days for anything. The people who joined up and can't wait don't understand this and therefore shouldn't play them.

I know you mean well but your Doomsday Sayer mentality is really bringing the rest of us down.

I fear your view will be largely ignored, Avrose. For what it's worth, I agree with you. There's is absolutely nothing wrong with a consolidation thread of typical complaints--at least some of the complaints in the OP I'm sure are issues for us all, after all. But what is disappointing is that we often have reasonable positions mired down in unnecessary doomsayer type rhetoric. The result is merely provocative and divisive.

Outstanding, then he's arguing for the continued success of the very game he dislikes.

Sadly wow ruined its own design when it implemented the scaling badge system.

Don't worry guys you don't need to progress through the game like the people who worked for it. Have free gear. Everyone is welcome. No challenge at all!

Hence wow slowly bleeding to death. slowly but surely. That's why I'm here.

Most people within WoW just copy/paste complex macros. Once you learn how to use macros, you learn to love them. The learning curve is steep, but the reward is worth it.

You're missing the entire point, and your boy Ghostcrawler would be quick to agree with me that complex macros or hell macros in general will never be something they force someone to use in normal play. There was a time when macros were pretty much required for some raid content in that game. Theres a pretty good reason thats no longer the case when you design with accessibility in mind. Seeing as your list is some kind of sick tribute to WoW, its pretty ironic then that you don't also share their current design philosophy.

Edited by Merced

Dont you mean easier, aw shucks I need to click a key every 20 secs but if i macro I only need to click it once...................easymode for bad players

I'm waiting for an answer as to which of the listed improvements equals WoW in space. Care to enlighten us? Also, as I previously posted macros and mods make the game more streamlined and enjoyable. The improved efficiency is a side effect. If you really enjoy "clicking" on your companion every 20 seconds to cast on him... go ahead. Those of us who enjoy having resources to utilize will take the "noobs way out" and remove the annoyance.