Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Bioware, You Want to Resuscitate This Game? Then Implement The Following.

Xugos

Ahaha, the things people will pick to fight about. Well, I agree fully with the OP's list, but knowing the community, I'd settle for just about any kind of compromise. First, it honestly blows my mind that there is no combat log. Why would someone disagree with its implementation? It's just been a standard thing to have for so long that I literally laughed when I went to check out what hit me for 6K in pvp and...SURPRISE.

Macros...eesh. I can't believe people hate these things so much. I'm not a big fan of gold spammers, or people who somehow manage to get their entire dps cycle in one written cast sequence. I'll go ahead and say the obvious: I played WoW (like most of us). My most covenient macro was the one I had labeled BIG DMG, which did the obvious (blow more than one cooldown for damage). Outside of that, it was mostly a combination of focus macros, and random other things that I'd never DREAM people would call me lazy for using. Those things were a chore to write out, a bigger pain to keybind and use properly in pvp, and a major headache to restore if I ever had my UI wiped. Say what you want about that, but I'll just say that I feel lazy NOW not having to worry about them.

Which brings me to lack of UI customization and/or mods. I used them and I loved them. I liked putting my frames where I wanted, and cast bars where I needed to see them. I can barely read the castbars due to their current size. I don't imagine I'll even bother with using focus frames since there are no macros (and apparently I can't use CTRL as a modifier for focus, and SHIFT is already in use for several keybinds), and also there is no competitive or rated pvp in the game yet - so why bother?

So, to the rest of the community desparately fighting to keep this game in its relatively simple state, be careful not to smother it too much with your love. Some of these things in the list are staples of what made WoW so great in the first place. And I'm not basing that statement on opinion, but by the years of dominance it's enjoyed in the mmo market. I'm a huge fan of this game so far, but some of the things in this list need to at least be looked at and taken seriously.

And good lord, give us the option to turn off smart camera pivot already.

TLDR - RAMBLE RAMBLE RAMBLE OP HAZ GOOD LIST.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was completely unaware that this game was in need of resuscitation. My entire guild and everybody I've talked to absolutely loves the game.

Analogy:

I was completely unaware that the economy was in need of resuscitation. My entire family and everybody I've talked to absolutely have no problem financially.

Just because you don't perceive a problem, does not mean one does not exist.

You truly think that affliction locks being able to dot a player by pushing 1 or 2 buttons maximised efficiency? For the lock maybe not the player on the receiving end. Macros exist for weak people who fail to learn how to play their characters. If players cant use a keyboard & mouse or a nostromo (for us experienced players) then your skills are just plain bad.

As for the focus on nearest target yes i'm familiar with it and have been using it since day 1. So nice try but i'm sure you'll understand why then ToT is not a game breaker when we already have focus on nearest target.

You obviously didnt read my initial post where I went through each of his list of demands and gave my opinion just as the OP did because there were no replies. You are mixing me up with someone elses post, a failure on your part to read.

Absolutely false. Affliction locks could not do anything extra with macros or add-ons because it is illegal under the Blizzard EULA to use programs/macros/add-ons that execute more than 1 GCD (ability.)

Analogy:

I was completely unaware that the economy was in need of resuscitation. My entire family and everybody I've talked to absolutely have no problem financially.

Just because you don't perceive a problem, does not mean one does not exist.

^^^^^^

Absolutely correct.

The additions in the OP would be excellent quality of life improvements for this game. I know people are averse to meters of all kinds, but I find them quite useful for gauging my own effectiveness. Not everyone uses them to hate on other players. As a dps/healer player, a threat meter would be amazingly useful. A combat log was actually implemented in early beta, and I'm not too sure why it was removed.

However the most important fix you listed to me was the responsiveness issue. This is a documented problem. I believe a resolution to this singular problem would be huge in getting those who enjoy both pvp and endgame pve to stay. I love the content and the guild I am playing with so i will resubscribe, but that doesn't mean I don't think this game can be better.

Not good enough. It must be done within the next ~20.1 days or they'll have missed their chance. They have 1 shot, 1 window of opportunity in which to conduct damage control. After that, the damage is permanent. There is no going back. No retroactive mending.

Again you make me laugh, the months of bugs endured playing the intial release of wow really hurt Blizz's game didnt it?

The more you post the more you sound like a petulent child

You don't speak for me or anyone BUT yourself. I think the game will be a success by following a different path and not "WoW in space". I am so tired of the amazing arrogance I see here "Do what I say or you will fail" what an ego you have ! The game is fun and its DIFFERENT ! I know thats a tough concept for you but try and grasp it. Don't need chat bubbles, don't need parsers, don't need threat meters...dont need 90% of what you think is manditory to avoid total falure.

The only people invoking the name of WoW, are those who are attacking the OP. For the third time in this thread, I do not want TOR to become WoW. I want TOR to have a solid core foundation on which to develop its own life. Without a foundation all you have is a shiny light saber filled house of cards that will ultimately come tumbling down. A smooth, fluid combat system and a convenient and accessible social system does not mean it is WoW. It means it has a chance to become its rival.

Great. Yet another list of stuff they've already said they're working, with a whole bunch of stuff that may or may not (and in some case, definitely would not) be a good idea, with a title that implies something's horribly wrong and the game is dying... /sigh

Too many people love to hear themselves type.

My post did not request a dungeon finder. Arena is not a horrible feature. Macros are not a horrible feature either, especially considering that they are entirely optional.

It _IS_ essential for everyone. Because if you put them in you force the people who don't want to bother with them to use them so they aren't placed at a disadvantage. If you lack the skill and quickness to target someone then CC them, then that is your fault. Not having macros separates the good from the bad. Don't say I'm wrong either because we all know the truth. I don't need chat bubbles either, because I could care less what someone is spamming near me, and if I would like to talk to them, then I'll whisper them. And yes finally, what you described, is a dungeon finder. lol.

You truly think that affliction locks being able to dot a player by pushing 1 or 2 buttons maximised efficiency? For the lock maybe not the player on the receiving end. Macros exist for weak people who fail to learn how to play their characters. If players cant use a keyboard & mouse or a nostromo (for us experienced players) then your skills are just plain bad.

As for the focus on nearest target yes i'm familiar with it and have been using it since day 1. So nice try but i'm sure you'll understand why then ToT is not a game breaker when we already have focus on nearest target.

You obviously didnt read my initial post where I went through each of his list of demands and gave my opinion just as the OP did because there were no replies. You are mixing me up with someone elses post, a failure on your part to read.

Macros exist for maximizing efficiency and actually required for an additional hotkey. Meaning, a warlock's FEAR would need 4 different hotkeys. One for the base spell and 3 more to target target 1/2/3 of the enemy arena team.

We weak people just use TAB to place affliction on more than 1 target.

Also, we do use our keyboard and mouse...just more efficiently than you, apparently. When you have to do 100 things at once, you maximize efficiency. It's simple, really.

And no, I didn't read your initial post, I missed it. However, nothing of it had any relevance to your second post which I proceeded to argue against.

Again you make me laugh, the months of bugs endured playing the intial release of wow really hurt Blizz's game didnt it?

The more you post the more you sound like a petulent child

Two different situations, two different circumstances; one can not compare them and expect accurate data. If my posts have caused you distraught to the point where you're openly expressing it, shaking your fist in anger, then stop reading them. No one is forcing you to, if I recall correctly.

We're not wanting Darth Arthas or Jedi Master Thrall.

We don't seek WoW in space.

We just want TOR to use successful core features that WoW among other MMOs used that are just a base to any MMO.

These features have no outcome on the actual game as a story and concept. It will be Star Wars with usable features.

By your standards, we want to be a WOW AION WARHAMMER EVE, etc. IN SPACE.

If you want wow features then go back to wow, it's really quite simple. If thats what your after then stay with what makes you happy.

I agree with everything the OP said ....good work ...but also the game engine needs a serious overhaul to optimize for low end computers.....having to turn everything off just to be able for the game to not be a slide show is ridiculous . This game does not even have as good of graphics as vindictus and I can run that game on high settings but I have to run swtor on the lowest settings and still get horrible FPS :-(

If you want wow features then go back to wow, it's really quite simple. If thats what your after then stay with what makes you happy.

This kind of reply is quite common on this forum as a response to any kind of criticism. I realize it would be easier for him to get his point accross without implying that the game is dying, but that doesn't mean he didn't make valid points about particular issues. Which fixes that the OP posited do you disagree with? Do you not want a LFD tool? That's understandable, though I'd disagree with it. How about a more responsive game, or a way to parse your own abilities? I don't think this game will go under, but I'd very much like some of the improvements listed by the OP to be implemented.

Edited by Lorne

I don't understand how you understand nothing I say. I must not be conveying myself properly.

I'll say it for the 50th time. I and WE do not want WoW in space. We want the core successful features that all MMOs had: WoW, Warhammer, EvE, Aion, Conan, Lineage, etc. etc.

Note that some had major flaws but what you do is take the successful aspects of those games.

By your standards, because we want a strong core of features. We are automatically wanting an EVERY MMO THAT EVER EXISTED WARS: The Old Republic.

It's called using what is successful and then evolving from there. So why are we taking a step back in the MMO evolutionary chain?

Edited by Treyzorz

Two different situations, two different circumstances; one can not compare them and expect accurate data. If my posts have caused you distraught to the point where you're openly expressing it, shaking your fist in anger, then stop reading them. No one is forcing you to, if I recall correctly.

He has a point though, they still to this day haven't fixed the blink issue that's been in game since day one.

Addressing though on the topic of 20 days comment you made to me let me make something perfectly clear...

ANYONE who plays mmo's and knows how mmo's roll knows it takes longer then 20 days for anything. The people who joined up and can't wait don't understand this and therefore shouldn't play them.

I know you mean well but your Doomsday Sayer mentality is really bringing the rest of us down.

I agree with everything the OP said ....good work ...but also the game engine needs a serious overhaul to optimize for low end computers.....having to turn everything off just to be able for the game to not be a slide show is ridiculous . This game does not even have as good of graphics as vindictus and I can run that game on high settings but I have to run swtor on the lowest settings and still get horrible FPS :-(

Thanks for the feedback. I believe I included the over-haul part within my OP, but I'll edit it to further emphasize this as it is an issue of great importance to many players.

He has a point though, they still to this day haven't fixed the blink issue that's been in game since day one.

Addressing though on the topic of 20 days comment you made to me let me make something perfectly clear...

ANYONE who plays mmo's and knows how mmo's roll knows it takes longer then 20 days for anything. The people who joined up and can't wait don't understand this and therefore shouldn't play them.

I know you mean well but your Doomsday Sayer mentality is really bringing the rest of us down.

The issue is that we can wait if these changes were promised. The problem is and the realityo f the situation is that the majority of the playerbase will not and would not because WoW is sitting right around the corner.

Edited by Treyzorz

Absolutely false. Affliction locks could not do anything extra with macros or add-ons because it is illegal under the Blizzard EULA to use programs/macros/add-ons that execute more than 1 GCD (ability.)

HAHAHAHA gold farming was illegal as well but it happens, please try and be a little more resourcefull. Just because it's illegal your saying people didnt do it?

Macro's do not provide a level playing field, oh i'll use them if introduced and keybind them to my nostromo but I would much prefer they be left out of the game as they take away from a players skill other than the ability to write them.