Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Bioware, You Want to Resuscitate This Game? Then Implement The Following.

Xugos

If most of the aforementioned changes, or at least some form of acknowledgement is not relayed to the player base within the next 19.4 days, Bioware will inevitably permanently lose a significant chunk of its player base. That's the only reason I said within the free 30 day period.

Bioware shouldn't take the risk.

Making assumptions again are we?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If most of the aforementioned changes, or at least some form of acknowledgement is not relayed to the player base within the next 19.4 days, Bioware will inevitably permanently lose a significant chunk of its player base. That's the only reason I said within the free 30 day period.

You have absolutely nothing on which to base this claim. Zero. You cannot say whether players will stay or go. Neither can I. I think this whole "sky is falling" is getting to be a joke, now.

I agree with some of the things you have on there. It would at least be nice to see a /random option.

Nothing is game-breaking. For you, maybe. But this "if I don't play, no one plays" attitude is just plain ignorant.

Bioware, these aren't the gamers you were looking for. Move along.

damage meter has no effect on the game.

riiiight. the whining alone "WAH BUILD X IS BROKEN BECAUSE IT DOES 20 DPS LESS THAN Y ON THE DUMMY, FIX IT DEVS OR GAME'S FAIL" is an effect I'd rather avoid.

EVERY change to the information a player can see has an effect. else, why do you want DPS meters in the first place?

Edited by Graburr

I love the "MUST IMPLEMENT ALL OF THIS" within 30 days or else the MMO fails.

Gotta love the drama.

Some of these don't sound so bad, but a some of it (especially all the add-on apps) sounds like enabled griping. Too many people I think want too many little things to make everything as simple as possible.

Can someone make me a "Play The Game" button that I can just repeatedly spam and it will play the entire game for me?

How did video gaming ever make it all those decades without add-on programs and macro ability? The world will never know...

Because other MMOs were the same exact way. "It's fine, just give it some time."

Time was given but people don't want to do that when WoW is knocking at the door. It is URGENT. I just wish people would understand this before it's too late. Think Warhammer.

The games that made it without addons either have a great UI or weren't MMOs. SWTOR have neither of these.

QFT

Yet another fanboy.

Macros have been around since EQ1.

Addons are not bots, they do not play the game for you. A threat or damage meter has no effect on the game.

Be shortsighted elsewhere.

QFT - Threat and damage meter, though do add a lot. I LOVED damage meters as it allowed me and my friends to compete for better DPS and it also let us weed out weak links. Those weak links were generally taught better DPS rotations rather than kicked contrary to popular belief.

Edited by Treyzorz

Just gonna go ahead and note that literally every major MMO released in the past 5 years has shipped with every one of the OP's listed features.

Every major MMO released in the last 5 years was released with third-party addon support?

First of all:

That quote explicitly says he/you is expecting the content patches as part of his $15/month subscription fee. So, you're wrong and this is the proof of it. I didn't say it, he/you did.

Second of all, you're going to need to explain how the legal contract that you signed is "crazy." I just don't see it.

Calling you crazy for a multitude of reasons.

First off, the fact that I'm somehow Xugos and the other being that though it is in the legal contract, our subscription still pays their salaries and the content in the end.

They provide us with this entire game and everything related for our money.

When I meant you were crazy was the fact they don't "need" to do anything for us and that we should just shut up, hand them money and enjoy what you get.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Edit: Bah, didn't mean to double post.

Edited by Treyzorz

I agree with most of what you said but the game is still new. As with any new game there will be things that need to be fixed. But on the other hand, the developers have had months to prepare and beta to see what players want!

I would add the ability to cutomize the UI to my play style, "move that darn thing around" , and fix the follow key.

But even the belief that these things could all be implemented within 30 days (even if they had the full 30 days) just flies in the face of development. It's absolutely impossible.

Maybe you're right, and the world just doesn't deserve a game like this. Will be a sad day if that's the case. We'll see what happens either way.

But even the belief that these things could all be implemented within 30 days (even if they had the full 30 days) just flies in the face of development. It's absolutely impossible.

Maybe you're right, and the world just doesn't deserve a game like this. Will be a sad day if that's the case. We'll see what happens either way.

Basically were saying get on the ball or lose it all.

Most of the list should of been implemented day 1 - they weren't.

Poor foundation but an amazing house. It will crumble if changes aren't made.

This is such an obvious lie I'm amazed you thought you could get away with it.

Yeah it is an incorrect statement. However, this is a new age of MMO and every company has WoW in the back of their mind. Why?

Notice how Blizzard releases and expansion everytime a "wow-killer" is released?

You play SWTOR but then Blizzard comes a knocking - the only way to let people come back is to have this stuff at day 1 and show promise for your game.

Even if they leave, if you show promise in your game they will always think back to SWTOR.

Edit: Ganna take a break I keep derping on the double posts.

Edited by Treyzorz

Because other MMOs were the same exact way. "It's fine, just give it some time."

Time was given but people don't want to do that when WoW is knocking at the door. It is URGENT. I just wish people would understand this before it's too late. Think Warhammer.

The games that made it without addons either have a great UI or weren't MMOs. SWTOR have neither of these.

Time was given? How much time? 10 months of playtesting and 2 weeks of release? If that's the case then WoW wouldn't have made it to Christmas of 2004 - and it was released in November of that year. It had a fixed and wonky UI with no addons for months. Servers were crashing for months. It got so bad that Blizzard was forced to issue game time credits to save face. How many raids were in place at launch? Perhaps a remedial WoW history lesson is in order... Edited by GalacticKegger

Time was given? How much time? 10 months of playtesting and 2 weeks of release? If that's the case then WoW wouldn't have made it to Christmas of 2004 - and it was released in November of that year. It had a fixed and wonky UI with no addons for months. Servers were crashing for months. It got so bad that Blizzard was forced to issue game time credits to save face. How many raids were in place at launch? Perhaps a remedial WoW history lesson is in order...

Now imagine that whole scenario if there were a SWTOR with everything running great, huge community, amazing UI and everything perfect...with an expansion soon to be released.

How long would you continue playing WoW at the point in time?

Edited by Treyzorz

Yet another fanboy.

Macros have been around since EQ1.

Addons are not bots, they do not play the game for you. A threat or damage meter has no effect on the game.

Be shortsighted elsewhere.

Well I'm not sure what makes me a "Fanboy" exactly, but whatev.

So what if macros have been around since EQ1? How is that at all relevant to the discussion, unless your insinuation is that once one new feature that a few people like takes place in one game it must therefore occur in all other games throughout eternity?

Games have been around for decades without macros. Didn't hurt any of them that I'm aware of. Can you name a few?

And if threat and damage meters have no effect on the game, why do you need them so badly? Maybe I'm just not as much of a "hardcore gamer" as you folks, but from my perspective this all sounds like a bunch of seriously unique development that will be utilized by about 1% of the player base.

The crowd screaming for add-ons and macros and other such 3rd party applications are most likely not the bread and butter target demographic of the game. I know that may be shocking, and it might even hurt, but time will tell.

Can you provide any numbers as to a percentage of the player base that want these types of addi-ons and macros?

I actually agree with most of what he said as well. I love the game and will not unsub for a long time to come, however the game from an MMO perspective has a lot of room to grow. It will take some Serious overhauls and content updates to bring SWTOR to a place that will last more than a few years for me, which is the whole point of all these posts. We want everyone to understand that to succeed, the game needs to be looked at Seriously.

I love the game. its fantastic. Do what needs to be done so i still have people to play with who aren't quite convinced that it is fantastic.

When will people realize that any suggestions they post on these forums is a waste of time, don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the OP and I agree with what he and others have asked for but I hate to see people pure their hearts into some of these threads when no one who has any impact on TOR will read or consider them.

When will people realize that any suggestions they post on these forums is a waste of time, don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the OP and I agree with what he and others have asked for but I hate to see people pure their hearts into some of these threads when no one who has any impact on TOR will read or consider them.

It's something I know I haven't learned. I continue doing this in hope that someone from BioWare is listening.

Like with any other MMO, they aren't.

The only game company that actually listens and actively talks with their customer base is Riot Games of League of Legends and that game is HUGE.

It gives peace of mind to know what the company is considering.

Edited by Treyzorz

The only game company that actually listens and actively talks with their customer base is Riot Games of League of Legends and that game is HUGE.

eehhr.. no. if you would have any knowledge about MMOs in general (instead of jumping onto the last hyped one, then check where it isn't wow and whine about it on the forums till the next arrive), you would know that

a) the bigger the playerbase, the less communication. EVERYTHING official will piss someone off. the more player the more pissed off people

b) LOL is not a mmo. if you REALLY wanted to compare it, compare it to cryptic - where you can talk direktly to a dev on the testserver.

as for the rest, the only thing wow knocks at the door right now are pandas and pokemon, plus a 7 year old game. this alone is reason enough for players to play tor - or something else - no matter the state.

eehhr.. no. if you would have any knowledge about MMOs in general (instead of jumping onto the last hyped one, then check where it isn't wow and whine about it on the forums till the next arrive), you would know that

a) the bigger the playerbase, the less communication. EVERYTHING official will piss someone off. the more player the more pissed off people

b) LOL is not a mmo. if you REALLY wanted to compare it, compare it to cryptic - where you can talk direktly to a dev on the testserver.

as for the rest, the only thing wow knocks at the door right now are pandas and pokemon, plus a 7 year old game. this alone is reason enough for players to play tor - or something else - no matter the state.

If you've last checked, LoL's playerbase is GIANT. They even released statistics.

They have heaps of Rioters go through the forums everyday and post and are constantly talking with their community. BioWare has done some and they've listened more than I give credit for.

The last statement is personal opinion and apparently they do love it. Droves of people are already talking about it. People who try SWTOR are either those that generally do not like WoW or are finally trying to find something other than WoW to play.

SWTOR will keep the first, but those who find out WoW is better by comparison they will leave.

Perhaps most people do not want millions playing their game.

Edited by Treyzorz

I am throughly enjoy this game no matter what bugs I run into. I played WoW on and off for a few years, but was very casual with it and just had fun (no hardcore arena or raiding).

Bugs in this game so far tend to be more funny/immersion breaking than actual game breaking for me. I don't mind a few funny bugs popping up, but game breaking ones are more important to be tracked down of course.

I just built a new PC recently for Battlefield 3/Skyrim/Witcher 2/SWTOR/Diablo III/etc and SWTOR is running great on it (as it should) with my current rig: i5-2500k@stock, EVGA GTX 570 HD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, ASUS P8z68-V Pro. I am happy with the looks of the game, and although it does have some slowdown occasionally, it is super nice!

The UI size bothers me, so really all they would have to add is UI scaling to make me happy. Also only being able to have 2 windows open at once makes it hard to compare GTN items with Character window open and Inventory. Actually the entire GTN system is really clunky and should be revamped. If it accidentally closes and you reopen it, it should save where you were for at least 20 seconds. Really frustrating.

Otherwise this game is awesome, and I am sure many, many things will be addressed to bring the game up to speed with what its userbase needs/wants/requests.

Hope everyone is still having fun and enjoying the story because I know I am!