In Game Voice Chat

Mausman

This may actually serve as the defining factor as to whether I remain with this game (as silly as that may seem).

Yes, you can use Ventrilo or what have you, and I regularly do so when raiding in Lotro, or doing things with kinmates etc...

But much of the time you are with pugs, especially in this game which randomly drops you into groups for PvP etc...

Having voice chat is a big difference in a game:

A) It contributes a ton to how close of friends you become with people you meet. Typing maintains are certain distance. Speaking is much more personal. This factor makes a game so much more appealing - because you end up feeling close to many of your peers in a different degree than you can just with brief typing.

B) Also you can't joke around and laugh as much when you are restricted to typing. You can a little, but much of the time your fingers are occupied with your actions and skills. When you can chat with people the experience becomes a ton more fun for this reason.

C) Additionally when you can speak, you can organize and plan what you're doing on the fly. So far I find that when typed people lose patience VERY fast for sitting there planning something. A little bit of organization makes an amazingly big difference in how effective your group can be, whether in PvE or PvP environments. The level of success goes up notably, and of course this makes it much more fun.

Yes people *can* type to each other, but it's not as good as speaking, and in reality people just don't communicate so much when restricted to typing.

Yes people *can* use Ventrilo, but much of the time people don't. I've repeatedly offered for people to hop in vent, but everyone's accustomed to no speech in SWTOR, and so they say it's too much bother (though it's quite simple). Oddly enough it's the presence of in-game speech that prompts people to use Ventrilo.

At best you may have a couple people in vent with you, but 90% of the time you'll have some new people along who don't have it, and so there's no communication. This is actually worse in some ways because then the people in vent will be chatting away and planning and will type next to nothing in game - total lack of communication = lots of fails.

So... I hope SWTOR adds in-game speech, and soon. I think it will make this game a heap more fun, and more friendly, and will really make it worth sticking with as opposed to checking it out, then moving on.

I use Mumbles as my client and Murmer on Linux as my server. I host my own in house at no cost and setup took about an hour and a half which includes the time to download and install Linux on an early 1990's Pentium machine.

Note: Murmer is included in most Linux distributions, you just need to enable it to start and port forward one port on your home router - both Linux and Murmur are free.

Edited by NuanceNW

• 10 months later...

Have you seen the way people interact as a 'community'?? and you'd like to add voice chat into the mix.

BW are aware there are 3rd party applications. As are anyone/guilds that run any form of PvP/PVE. And participants in any of these activities will be propmted for VC unless it's a completely PUG.

Those who play the game as an MMO will have these things. Those who play as a SPG won't. Of course generally speaking. Personally I don't think the community is mature enough or ready for in-ga\me VC.

And because BW are aware that 3rd party tools exist, I can't see them re-directing time or effort into this feature unless the game grows substantially.

Just about every game that has built in voice chat functionality ends up with the majority of users using something else.

And honestly, other than listening / giving raid directions in a progression environment, I have no use for voice chat features. I'm not about to start chatting with random people just to do a leveling FP or group mission or whatever.

If I wanted to chat with you, I'd exchange Skype information.