Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why is everyone so impatient and unfriendly?

drbeat

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While dripping with sarcasm, his point was half right.

Knowing people's ASL before tanking, silly.

Knowing someone's name, not so silly.

Having a conversation while grouping, again, not so silly.

Being social in an MMO: sort of the point of an MMO.

Um....what is the point of knowing someone's real name? I thought the mass majority of the online nerd crowd was against that? That's why Blizzard's RealID thing was shot down and most of you are against Facebook and laugh at people who have it? Correct me if I'm wrong, that's what I thought the general online nerd community's collective opinion was on real names.

Also, being social in an MMO yes...but you could easily do it with just a group of real life friends. Example: Shadowmoon has at least 40 people from Toronto, Canada on it due to word of mouth. I won't play with anyone outside of those guys that I know somebody from my group of friends know. Call it hindsight or placebo, but generally if you know somebody, or think someone knows them, they usually don't play like utter trash.

You're not a "vet" of anything. Stop thinking you are, stop wishing you were, get off your chair and do something in real life.

I've been playing MMOs since I was in grade 9 and started with Ragnarok Online. My favorite MMO by far was Final Fantasy XI. However, as time went on and I got older, I found that real life priorities needed to take over this includes:

#1. Getting laid.

#2. Riding (motorcycle)

#3. 40 hour per week projects

#4. Exams

#5. Reunions with family member

#6. Getting drunk

#7. Separating myself from other software developers by getting jacked at the gym (pix to prove, don't make me link Facebook)

2 of those are not optional and they take the absolute most time out of everything else. Due to this, I realized that I could no longer dump in 8 hours a day into my favourite MMO sometime around 6-8 years ago (forgot). World of Warcraft revolutionized the MMO scene to allow people like me, who once loved MMOs but now do not have the time to invest in them to make decent progression, to invest a small amount of time, and progress. It has even gotten better with the raid finder.

There is a small % of people out there who either have retired early due to amazing financial decisions, or family inheritance. From my life science studies, this % of people in the Canadian or American world is VERY tiny. I forgot the exact %. Chances are, YOU are not one of them, and YOU are not vet. Statistics would favour you with the definition of a failure. The ones that never reached the "American dream".

Stop using the word vet. You didn't fight in any battles, you didn't save the world, and above all, you weren't in World War II. Thanks.

Well kiddo, im a desert storm veteran, an automotive engineer, a husband and father of 3 amazing children. Also i've been playing MMORPG's since UO. I think im entitled to the term "VET", if you dont too bad.

BTW, your welcome.

Edited by TKMaster

I am so sad about all this rudeness and impatience in SW:TOR!

After I accept a /1 LFG spam to tank a flashpoint, I, like most social people, like to reserve 10-15 minutes before the first pull to learn more about everyone in the group and see how they are doing.

I simply do not feel comfortable tanking unless I know everyone's name, A/S/L and their basic likes and dislikes. I also like to share my troubles with them and see if anyone else is having troubles too. My dog has serious behavioral problems and my mom's health is getting a lot worse, and these things weigh on my mind a lot.

The weird thing is... I feel like I'm being very friendly, but people are always cruel to me and impatient. They're all like GO GO GO *** ARE YOU DOING TANK and they quit the group!

I thought the whole point of PUGging flashpoints and heroic quests was to make deep, lasting friendships and maybe even find a wife. But I guess everyone is so used to WoW and LFD that they don't want to socialize with a bunch of random people during a flashpoint anymore.

I wish I could go back to the past I remember when everyone was sociable and courteous and cared about each other's feelings before LFD ruined the community.

I totally agree. Why is it that every time I tell people in my group to jump on skype with me because I like to see the faces of those I'm pugging with, I get kicked? /sad

Well kiddo, im a desert storm veteran, an automotive engineer, a husband and father of 3 amazing children.

BTW, your welcome.

And I was a 8 year old protege saving soldiers during world war II with a medical license.

Your welcome, you wouldn't have American if it weren't for me.

Oh, and I've got 10 children, want one?

different gamers have different gaming interests. IMO that is what guilds are for. Make/Join a guild that consists of more casual, slow paced, social (older?) gamers and group with them, and let the people who want instant gratification join their own guilds or do their own pugs.

And I was a 8 year old protege saving soldiers during world war II with a medical license.

Your welcome, you wouldn't have American if it weren't for me.

Oh, and I've got 10 children, want one?

Ah, i love when parents let thier children on the internet with no supervision.

Um....what is the point of knowing someone's real name? I thought the mass majority of the online nerd crowd was against that? That's why Blizzard's RealID thing was shot down and most of you are against Facebook and laugh at people who have it? Correct me if I'm wrong, that's what I thought the general online nerd community's collective opinion was on real names.

Also, being social in an MMO yes...but you could easily do it with just a group of real life friends. Example: Shadowmoon has at least 40 people from Toronto, Canada on it due to word of mouth. I won't play with anyone outside of those guys that I know somebody from my group of friends know. Call it hindsight or placebo, but generally if you know somebody, or think someone knows them, they usually don't play like utter trash.

What's the point? Friendly conversation?

I have a hard time explaining these concepts to people who don't inherently understand them as they're common sense/decency in my brain.

It would be like explaining how to chew gum and walk at the same time. For me, I just do it, some people almost chew their tongue off.

*shrugs*

I never understood the "omg privacy is important my real name!" people.

Heh, reminds me of one my first Black Talon runs post-launch.

somedude: guys, hit spacebar

me: maybe this is people's first time in this fp

somedude: yeah, i know

been in a few of those with someone screaming becasue the rest of the group wanted to watch the scenes

I am so sad about all this rudeness and impatience in SW:TOR!

After I accept a /1 LFG spam to tank a flashpoint, I, like most social people, like to reserve 10-15 minutes before the first pull to learn more about everyone in the group and see how they are doing.

I simply do not feel comfortable tanking unless I know everyone's name, A/S/L and their basic likes and dislikes. I also like to share my troubles with them and see if anyone else is having troubles too. My dog has serious behavioral problems and my mom's health is getting a lot worse, and these things weigh on my mind a lot.

The weird thing is... I feel like I'm being very friendly, but people are always cruel to me and impatient. They're all like GO GO GO *** ARE YOU DOING TANK and they quit the group!

I thought the whole point of PUGging flashpoints and heroic quests was to make deep, lasting friendships and maybe even find a wife. But I guess everyone is so used to WoW and LFD that they don't want to socialize with a bunch of random people during a flashpoint anymore.

I wish I could go back to the past I remember when everyone was sociable and courteous and cared about each other's feelings before LFD ruined the community.

People wonder why some are against the LFD. The OP is a perfect example.

I like how people say WoW brought up MMOs, but all it has done is ruin them, steal ideas and take credit for originality, make everything so easy a Caveman can do it, and overall ruin the communities. I played MMOs about 5 years before WoW came out, my first was when Runescape first launched and I was like.. 7ish.

Runescape came out in 2001, I played Ultima Online... 1997 and hilariously buggy, which of kind of why it was fun.

Well kiddo, im a desert storm veteran, an automotive engineer, a husband and father of 3 amazing children. Also i've been playing MMORPG's since UO. I think im entitled to the term "VET", if you dont too bad.

BTW, your welcome.

Pwnd.

thank you by the way.

Theres being social and friendly, and then theres being way too personal with someone i just met. I dont mind shooting the breeze while waiting for another party member to arrive, but if everyone is there and you're spending 15+ min still talking and only standing there, thats a bit irritating.

I wont share info Im unconfortable sharing. I also wont tolerate a group that spends forever to get going once everyone is there. There is the "GOGo" mentality, which I am against, and a reasonable pacing which it seems the OP just ignores.

I thought the whole point of PUGging flashpoints and heroic quests was to make deep, lasting friendships and maybe even find a wife.

Listen You!

I could care less about you trying to get a wife! I am trying to get my Jedi hitched and your 15 minute diatribe about your sick dog is 15 minutes I don't get in slamming Companion Gifts into Kira's piehole.

Dammit! :-P

You honestly think i dont have more important stuff to do then chat with some random dude or 15 min before he chooses to start playing the FP? Ever heard of writing and playing at the same time? If i wanna chat i chat with my friends, atm your just a random person i need to complete an objective. It's hardly rude not to chat about nonsence stuff because some dude needs to get something said. Edited by Icecrypt

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.