The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Idea for pyrotech hybrid to help with venting heat90

Matuwan

Hi guys! Just wanted to run a powertech pyrotech built by you guys and see what you think. Basically the idea of this hybrid is to overcome the heat problems of the pyro build. I know you loose the 50% snare as well as wasting some points. But I think the heat vent from AP will help a lot. Any ideas?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZrs0MMMZbIbrzGhM.1

do you even understand how Pyrotech works?

it functions off CGS a LOT. Using this build you would have to use high energy cylinder..

so great u vent 8 heat/6seconds, but u lose i would recon, about 40% damage.

you havent even taken Hot Iron....words cannot describe this amount of failure.

Edited by Teacosy

Wow thank you so much for all the helpful feedback, totally helpful and completely amazing. Sarcasm aside it was an "idea" and yes the idea was not to use the CGC, swapping for 2 point in hot iron is maybe a good idea, I don't know, thats why I asked for the love of god.

Please feel free to keep being asses, but why exactly is this so fail over the ap/pyro hybrid?

apologies for falling into the trap and also acting like an ***. Perhaps can someone explain where exactly all the dps is lost? Yes the dot is gone, but I would imageine the extra damge from high energy gas will make up for it? Feel free to correct me, but actually venting 8 heat per second is exactly why the AP built is much more heat efficient than pyrotech which frequently has to throw in rapid shots etc to avoid overheating.

ok apologies, I also now see that you loose 9% damage on quite a lot of abilities due to Rain of Fire, guess the "idea" isn't perhaps as good as I thought, although i'm still convined that perhaps it holds hope for pve where the extra venting actually counts for a lot.

For anyone reading this post in the future, please ignore the failed idea and instead learn from the nice man's comment and notice that useful comments such as these are exactly what is wrong with the world.

Edited by Matuwan

originally the spec was for pvp, but would be used for pve as well :) I admit the dps loss, as mentioned above. Do you think the extra heat venting would make it viable in pve? As it would allow for a more congruent rotation instead of constantly overheating?

This is all my opinions.

For PvP, losing out TD is a big loss. TD + Rail Shot is the ultimate combo to kill healers if you catch them. You also lose 50% spammable snare. Sure, you'll make up for moving 15% faster, but that's not gonna help to close the gap as much (and Pyro already lack on the gap closer department). Think of it like a Ret pally of SWTOR if you played WoW, but without freedom and snare cleansing (vanilla/BC ret pallies).

For PvE, since there's no parses and combat log. I'm not really sure about the heat gain will outweigh the loss of damage. Let's see:

Loss of CGC dot damage.

Loss of Burnout (3% crit and 30% more dot dmg on target below 30% hp)

Loss of Intimidation on Shield Tech tree.

Loss of TD (one of the best damage per heat on single target)

This is based on a typical Pyro dps build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301bMZMsZfhMbdGhrs.1

In conclusion, I don't think the 8 heat will help you when you trade off so much. If you have heat problem, utilizing Thermal Sensor Override and Vent Heat (Pyro has talents that lower the cd on both) will have a much better effect than an 8 heat/sec.

The problem is not solved via a spec. You are basically gimiping yourself trying to deal with a heat management issue which I believe can be rectified by playing 'smarter'. Please do not take this the wrong way. If you do not rely on CGC then it truly lowers your DPS AND it actually detracts you from the only heat mitigation besides Rapid Venting that it offers; Superheated Rail is pretty damn nice.

I am full pyrotech spec. Pick up Rapid Venting. Also, you actually can do quite well if you (yes I know it might sound crazy) look every so often at your heat build up and react accordingly by throwing in some any time shots that require no heat. It just takes some practice.

Here's the deal - if for whatever reason your flame burst and rocket punch do not remove the CD on rail shot you actually can push past 50% heat buildup pretty quick, especially if you landed an incendiary missile before getting within 10M. Pay attention to your Vent Heat and adjust. Pay attention and you will win. This is a core mechanic that everyone should eye unless you're playing a hybrid ST/Pyro build that appears to compliment nicely on heat management.

I think people are stretching to put some crazy builds together JUST to compensate on something that I think is manageable just by improving your understanding of the class, it's skills, the cost/reward of those skills, and the dynamic sense to know what to use when pending on the situation. How do you improve this? By playing the class in real 'PvP' fights and learning the old fashion way. It's sort of like the analogy of being 'street smart' and 'book smart'. I'd hire the 'street smart' guy in a heart beat over the 'book smart' guy if I needed to get some real work done :)

Right, thank you very much for the replies, they were pretty helpful! I totally appreciate everything you say, and agree with nearly all of it.

Re the heat issue. The purpose of the proposed spec was to allow some of the more powerful moves to be spammed a little more, although granted.. they would do slightly less damage. The thought just came to me that perhaps with the extra heat that the dps might perhaps work out as overall higher.

Agreed re the snare for pvp. i've played as a few different specs as lvl 50 with nearly full champion gear and the 15% increase doesn't really count for jack in comparison to the 50% snare. Point taken.

- Perhaps on an ending note, just trying to be a little creative! Without people questioning the common practicies, progress is never made! Looking forward to seeing some quirky specs come out of this game, i'm sure there will be a few here and there.