Razer Nostromo vs Logitech G13

PantsOn

So, as the title implies, this is a thread about gaming keypads. As well all know, the Jedi Sentinel is a class that requires an incredible amount of finesse to perform at peak levels. This isn't your silly facerolling Trooper, ezmode garbage Bounty Hunter pew pew pew class.

We need to utilize a myriad of skills with great timing and the prime real estate on the keyboard quickly starts running out as you start approaching that level 50. Utilizing Q,E,R,F + 1,2,3,4,5 is nice but I need more and I hate modifying things with L-Shift and L-Ctrl ... I want a separate button for as many skills/trinkets/meds as possible. As a result, I'm seriously contemplating getting either a Logitech G13 or a Razer Nostromo. The directional thumbpad/thumbstick would essentially replace the need for W,A,S,D and make moving your characters in a very organic way with but a single digit (thumb in this case) possible. Imagine having all those fingers and buttons available to quickly and effortlessly execute every possible command... It sounds very appealing to me. The only question that remains is which of the two to get?

Is anyone using one or the other? Maybe a better option that I'm not aware of? Has anyone experienced both and has a preference? Should I just L2P using the left side of the keyboard like everyone else? Any and all advice is welcome.

Edited by PantsOn

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive got razer naga. On level 30 my jedi shadow has only 1 attacking skill on r.ctrl+"button". Add your keyboard bindings to that and there will be more then u need.

gameing keypads are cool but 12 mmo buttons on mouse is much much better IMHO

Edited by qrt_dbstp

ive got razer naga. On level 30 my jedi shadow has only 1 attacking skill on r.ctrl+"button". Add your keyboard bindings to that and there will be more then u need.

I looked at the Naga and it just seemed to me like it would be incredibly awkward having to use your thumb for all those buttons. Maybe I just need to hold one IRL and see how it feels. Do you ever hit the wrong button on accident? How much pressure do you need to apply for the click? The reason I ask is because when I right click and hold + slide the mouse (to move the camera around as I'm traversing the BG), I naturally apply pressure to the left side of the mouse with my thumb... I wouldn't want to be accidentally pressing buttons by just trying to move like I do.

Edited by PantsOn

The G13 without question.

I have both and the G13 has much higher build quality, you can actually use the thumb stick for movement but on the Nostromo its really not usable for this. It's an ideal partner for a Naga also which gives you lots of binding options and is probably the ultimate set-up.

Edited by Coolits

I have both and the G13 has much higher build quality, you can actually use the thumb stick for movement but on the Nostromo its really not usable for this. It's an ideal partner for a Naga also which gives you lots of binding options and is probably the ultimate set-up.

Great, I was hoping someone like you would post. Sounds like G13 is going to be it. I was wondering how that thumbpad on the Nostromo even worked, lol...

I looked at the Naga and it just seemed to me like it would be incredibly awkward having to use your thumb for all those buttons. Maybe I just need to hold one IRL and see how it feels. Do you ever hit the wrong button on accident? How much pressure do you need to apply for the click? The reason I ask is because when I right click and hold + slide the mouse (to move the camera around as I'm traversing the BG), I naturally apply pressure to the left side of the mouse with my thumb... I wouldn't want to be accidentally pressing buttons by just trying to move like I do.

I have no missclicking on sidebuttons. I have to use about twice as much power to press sidebutton then to main buttons(left,right, mid). The good explanation would be they feels exactly the same as mobile phones buttons(they looks the same either =) ). It looks a bit "fat" on all pictures, but its just a visual illusion, it fits perfectly. U should try to hold it IRL. Thats my first MMO and binding keyboar buttons was quiet uncomfortably for me. But when i try Naga i got used to it for about 2 days, and now im having no idea how to play without it.

p.s. i mean there was a reason why bioware choose this mouse for making it TOR adapted

I've been using the nostromo since beta and have to say I love it. I had some trouble using the thumbpad for movement until I detached the the stick part, now it flows like a dream. My hands aren't the largest around so I had to readjust my layout. Binding the nostromo 6-10 keys to the 1-5 on the keyboard, 1 as my target selector and 2-5 as my 6-9. The bottom row makes up my med packs, saber ward, rebuke and transcendence.

Its also very comfortable to use, I haven't used a G13 but what helped me make the the choice was the Nostromo didn't bother me when I used it for hours on end. Even when I'm not gaming I'll rest my hand on it.

• 2 weeks later...

IS there a way to configure the Belkin N52Te so that you can fully do 8 directional movement?? I can only make it go forward or use the L/R to strafe.

Another question. Why are some of the buttons on the bottom row not usable?? I try to bind a key to them and nothing comes up.

Thanks for any help given!

IS there a way to configure the Belkin N52Te so that you can fully do 8 directional movement?? I can only make it go forward or use the L/R to strafe.

Another question. Why are some of the buttons on the bottom row not usable?? I try to bind a key to them and nothing comes up.

I don't know, man. I ended up ordering the G13.

I have to disagree with your thumb stick assesment. I'm using a Nostromo+Naga combination and I can tell you that while the thumb stick sucks in most games it works great in SWTOR. I guess it's because I mostly use it for back/forward/strafe anyways and mouse turn for direction.

I can't say much about the G13 since I do not own one, but I can say that I personaly find the Nostromos key layout much more suitable for me. I'd hoestly get lost on the G13 :D. The Nostromo is nice and simple and in combination with the Naga it's just awesome.

As mentioned above I don't use 8 directional movement myself since mouse turning is much faster, but if the default set up doesn't work you could set it up to use a key combination(e.g. Arrow up+Arrow left or W+A, etc.).

While I'm using a Nostromo my buddy is using the N52 and we both have no issues binding all the keys. Do they work for you outside of SWTOR?

Edited by Riven

Though abt getting myself one of those but then I thought that using a stick to move would be somewhat uncomfortable. SO i just remapped movements from WSAD to EDSF. This frees up QWA RTG combinationsand you can quickly press 3-4 as well. Also helps that I have Logiteck 13 button mouse so I have 10 skills on it.

I started out upgrading my keyboard to the Logitec G510. I found the bind keys a little lacking for the number of binds I need for Sith Sorcerer. So I went and picked up a G13 and it was perfect. It's got a comfortable fit, ergonomic design, the button patform is concave slightly so the buttons are intuitively placed and it's extremely comfortable on the hand.

I just got the Naga shipped in yesterday. I usually run my lower binds on the G13 and the upper binds were run on the keyboard. I picked up the Naga to run the upper binds so I wouldn't have to touch the keyboard during battle.

Unfortunately as soon as I hooked up the Naga my G13 stopped working. I seem to get no power to it, no lights, no LCD but Windows still sees it properly when plugged in. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling both the hardware, software and drivers. I tried switching USB ports and nothing.

Logictech in their famously lacking customer support has yet to get back to me yet. So hopefully I can get it working again soon.

From my perspective this is the best of both worlds for me. I have to say though, my hands feel rather large on the naga, making the control of the thumb buttons difficult. It does come with stick on "training" pads so you can put points of reference on the buttons. I haven't resorted to this yet, but then I haven't had a chance to utilize the way I intended.

Just my two cents.

Whatever happened to keybinding 1-7, Alt+1-7, 2 or 3 mouse keys and Q, E, R, F, G. ALl these new fangled keypads/keyboards are highly over rated IMO (yes i've bought and tested them ALL.)

Before you go out and burn the cash give it a go, I do fine with 20 key bindings on my Sentinel :)

Whatever happened to keybinding 1-7, Alt+1-7, 2 or 3 mouse keys and Q, E, R, F, G. ALl these new fangled keypads/keyboards are highly over rated IMO (yes i've bought and tested them ALL.)

Before you go out and burn the cash give it a go, I do fine with 20 key bindings on my Sentinel :)

Binding 5-7 blows. Binding 5-7 + modifier blows even more. Binding G blows. Binding G + modifier blows even more. 20 keys is not enough for the Sentinel, especially if you want easy access to PvP musts such as Crippling Throw, Leg Slash and Resolute.

I've had the G13 for a while now and it was really hard to adjust at first (the reflex of WASD is so strong!) but after a while, it just opens up a whole new level of quickness.

I decided to go ahead and order the Naga yesterday as well. Should have it in a couple of days and see how I can make things even better. :D

I plan to get a Naga Epic early next month. More buttons than any alternative I found and Razer can usually be counted on to make good products. Plus since I got a gift certificate I got the Logitech version of the Nostromo since the gift card was for Newegg.com and they don't have Razer stuff. I'm not very happy with it so far. I had a Nostromo back when they were still from Belkin and I was a lot happier with it. Never thought I'd ever be mad at someone for giving me presents, but now I'm stuck with this thing.

I plan to get a Naga Epic early next month. More buttons than any alternative I found and Razer can usually be counted on to make good products. Plus since I got a gift certificate I got the Logitech version of the Nostromo since the gift card was for Newegg.com and they don't have Razer stuff. I'm not very happy with it so far. I had a Nostromo back when they were still from Belkin and I was a lot happier with it. Never thought I'd ever be mad at someone for giving me presents, but now I'm stuck with this thing.

Newegg does, indeed, sell Razer stuff.

I have a razer nostrono and a logitech g13.

I tried to switch to the logitech because it does have more buttons. With the nostrono on my sniper i have to bind 1-11, shift+1-11 and alt+1-8ish so far. The logitech did not work out for me though because i have big hands. The joystick is not in nearly as comfortable possition for me resting closer to the knuckle of my thumb than on my fingertip. The ergonomics are such on the logiteck that the joystick also is used by the side of your thumb and not the fingertip like the nostrono.

IMO the ergos just suck to bad on the logitech to make it worthwile. The logitech feals like it is higher quality and the software/drivers seem better than the nostronos but the ergos are a deal breaker for me.

Newegg does, indeed, sell Razer stuff.

How come there wasn't any on the site when I looked? I didn't see a Nostromo or a Naga.

Edit: That doesn't count. I just searched and all they have is some lame Wii wannabe motion controller and a messenger bag.

Edited by Game_Hermit

So, as the title implies, this is a thread about gaming keypads. As well all know, the Jedi Sentinel is a class that requires an incredible amount of finesse to perform at peak levels. This isn't your silly facerolling Trooper, ezmode garbage Bounty Hunter pew pew pew class.

We need to utilize a myriad of skills with great timing and the prime real estate on the keyboard quickly starts running out as you start approaching that level 50. Utilizing Q,E,R,F + 1,2,3,4,5 is nice but I need more and I hate modifying things with L-Shift and L-Ctrl ... I want a separate button for as many skills/trinkets/meds as possible. As a result, I'm seriously contemplating getting either a Logitech G13 or a Razer Nostromo. The directional thumbpad/thumbstick would essentially replace the need for W,A,S,D and make moving your characters in a very organic way with but a single digit (thumb in this case) possible. Imagine having all those fingers and buttons available to quickly and effortlessly execute every possible command... It sounds very appealing to me. The only question that remains is which of the two to get?

Is anyone using one or the other? Maybe a better option that I'm not aware of? Has anyone experienced both and has a preference? Should I just L2P using the left side of the keyboard like everyone else? Any and all advice is welcome.

Im thinking of trying a G13 because it looks nice and has more keys then n52te. I currently have been using a N52te and have to say at first I hated it. It took me while to learn to use the thumbpad to move instead of wasd keys and I bound the finger keys to 1-12 and this allowed me to have about 50 buttons mapped right to my finger tips, without ever having to move my hand an inch. Now I can't imagine using a keyboard again. I love my n52te so much, it has made me a better player too. You can set keys up to turbo and you can make macros. For instance on my sentinel I bind the force leap button with my overload saber and they both fire at the same time when I press it. You can do allot of really cool stuff with them. Hope this helps, feel free to PM me for more detailed setups.

Im thinking of trying a G13 because it looks nice and has more keys then n52te. I currently have been using a N52te and have to say at first I hated it. It took me while to learn to use the thumbpad to move instead of wasd keys and I bound the finger keys to 1-12 and this allowed me to have about 50 buttons mapped right to my finger tips, without ever having to move my hand an inch. Now I can't imagine using a keyboard again. I love my n52te so much, it has made me a better player too. You can set keys up to turbo and you can make macros. For instance on my sentinel I bind the force leap button with my overload saber and they both fire at the same time when I press it. You can do allot of really cool stuff with them. Hope this helps, feel free to PM me for more detailed setups.

Don't get it. The software had problems with SWTOR, the joystick sucks and the shape is bad. It's also harder to swap between sets of keybinds easily. The Nostromo is way better IMO. I've used both.

Edited by Game_Hermit

How come there wasn't any on the site when I looked? I didn't see a Nostromo or a Naga.

Edit: That doesn't count. I just searched and all they have is some lame Wii wannabe motion controller and a messenger bag.

*** are you talking about?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006666&isNodeId=1&Description=razer&x=0&y=0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823114015&Tpk=razer%20nostromo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153054

Either way, I really want to try the Nostromo now, so I think I might get that as well and then see which one I like more and return the other one, lol.

The only thing that I don't like about the G13 is the joystick. That thing is just poorly designed. It needs to be longer and be concave so your thumb doesn't slide off it when you try to move. *** Logitech?

Edited by PantsOn