Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go, here's a video of someone attempting to mount "WoW Style". They show more things but check out the start when they mount:

Clearly the cast has finished when they start moving.

Right after watching that guy mount watch this guy mount in WoW:

Edited by En-Sabanur

Am I right in saying that is the same ability locking up all three times? Which ability is that?

It's retaliation, and yes it's the same ability locking up on all 3 videos.

But I've also had force scream, savage, crushing blow and sundering assault lock up like that as well, just haven't been running fraps when they fail. Will continue to investigate and try and help pinpoint the problem so it can be fixed!

Edited by belleflop

I think it just more came down to the fact I am now used to playing my Assassin. I have a rotation where I apply my DOTs and what not (all are instant cast with animations less than the GCD) and then I start doing my melee abilities before renewing DOTs. One of the DOTs is talented to bring it down to instant cast. I can remember before I talented it, that moving at the end of the cast bar constantly cancelled it (because right after the cast finished, the character "extends its hand to finish the cast"). I would always move after finishing the cast and have it cancel on me.

It just appeared on the JK that because all abilities were melee with some animations involved it was horrendous. There is one ability (I forget its name) that you get early on that is channelled. God forbid you don't let that thing finish before moving because it is essentially a channelled DOT. The last "tick" is constantly not applied (because I move when the cast bar finishes).

I think I know the channeled ability you are talking about. I will try that. Just to be sure, is there a disconnect between the animation and the cast bar? Is the cast bar done and over but the animation is still playing on the channeled dot and the pre-talented dot?

It's retaliation, and yes it's the same ability locking up on all 3 videos.

But I've also had force scream, savage, crushing blow and sundering assault lock up like that as well, just haven't been running fraps when they fail. Will continue to investigate and try and help pinpoint the problem so it can be fixed!

Fantastic. And what server are you on?

Here we go, here's a video of someone attempting to mount "WoW Style". They show more things but check out the start when they mount:

Clearly the cast has finished when they start moving.

Right after watching that guy mount watch this guy mount in WoW:

Yup, I see the mount issue. Would you happen to know what ability that is she is spamming and failing on?

Thank you. That is not uncommon, but still no fun.

People have mentioned that sometimes it seems worse and sometimes it is not as bad. Can anyone correlate this to server load? Does this seem to happen more on peak or is it pretty random?

It happens for me pretty much at times of peak user amounts (Shaltin Tunnels-RP) but also i have to say it does happen also during night or morning when there is not many people logged in. It seems to happen mostly on areas that are "inside" of building but not on Planets surface "outside" of buildings. Also in group it does not seem to happen outside instances exept sometimes. If i use only on channeled ability like "Charged burst" on Smuggler it goes as smooth as abdroids butt.. But to connect different abilites it happens and combat becomes clumpy and laggy.

On solo play this issue is not as bad and it is usually within accepted tolerance levels exept few abilities that are clumpy all the time when connected as a combo.

Lastly i strongly recommend people being more reasonable within how long they wait for fixes. It is new game and while it is tested quite well in BETA and ALPHA there are also many issues on server side and networking protocols and such that we players dont even see or experience during gameplay and these usually are priority over bugs to fix.

Also you cant play a few days or week or even months and expect that game will be all fixed by then. Usually it takes about 1 year or maybe 2 years of post-launch gameplay and players reporting bugs and other issues they found when playing to hone all rough edges and add features that are missing. Many great games have lost subs for nothing and in the end failed because we players demand that product is ready after few years of developmenmt,

In old times time to develop a game is double at least what it is now and still games had bugs that could not even be easily fixed since everyone did not have internet back then.

So to make this game great in all aspects please dont quit subs as this only hurts bug fixing and development of game but instead be patient. They will eventually fix/add things that enough people are demanding but not before previous priority issues are handled.

It happens for me pretty much at times of peak user amounts (Shaltin Tunnels-RP) but also i have to say it does happen also during night or morning when there is not many people logged in. It seems to happen mostly on areas that are "inside" of building but not on Planets surface "outside" of buildings. Also in group it does not seem to happen outside instances exept sometimes. If i use only on channeled ability like "Charged burst" on Smuggler it goes as smooth as abdroids butt.. But to connect different abilites it happens and combat becomes clumpy and laggy.

On solo play this issue is not as bad and it is usually within accepted tolerance levels exept few abilities that are clumpy all the time when connected as a combo.

Can you give an example of a combo that is consistently an issue?

100% behind this I thought like amny others from what I read in these threads that it was just me doing stuff wrong, I think I'll lay off swtor for a bit until this and a few other quirks have been fixed.

Best example that comes to mind is Dirty kick->Blaster whip->Quick shot which always take quite a few seconds more than it should if you try to use them just when GCD is off. Kick itself is always laggy.. Takes 0.8 to 1.5 sec to actually kick, then i press Blaster whip to make it happen next but it waits another 0.8-1.5 sec to actually happen and it really should happen when GCD is almost finished on Blaster whip when GCD actually is half gone before ability acytually happens. Then to add quick shot as finishing move to that the pre-ability lag is again the same like in those other. Quickshot alone works well as works blaster whip alone almost all the time but there is exeptions to that abiltiy every once and the while.

All an all simple combo of 3 abilities should not take double the time that it should take if you count on GCD times. Even animations on these seem to be so short that they should have finished during GCD.

I have not played Jedi Consular nearly as much as this smuggler and dont remember abilites there but it also have them but far less that Smuggler.

This is something that has made me not order it.

On the other hand, all my friends are playing SWTOR now, so I'm pretty much forced to play it. I have been planning to buying it once i saw some real footage from a high end raid in swtor, or PVP. But alot of reading and viewing on youtube about these things made me re-consider.

But ye, Now I've bought it so... I guess I'll play til' I puke on it or something..

But if they manage to fix it, this will make SWTOR THE BEST wow competition ever made and it WILL make other people from WoW come to SWTOR.

Best example that comes to mind is Dirty kick->Blaster whip->Quick shot which always take quite a few seconds more than it should if you try to use them just when GCD is off. Kick itself is always laggy.. Takes 0.8 to 1.5 sec to actually kick, then i press Blaster whip to make it happen next but it waits another 0.8-1.5 sec to actually happen and it really should happen when GCD is almost finished on Blaster whip when GCD actually is half gone before ability acytually happens. Then to add quick shot as finishing move to that the pre-ability lag is again the same like in those other. Quickshot alone works well as works blaster whip alone almost all the time but there is exeptions to that abiltiy every once and the while.

All an all simple combo of 3 abilities should not take double the time that it should take if you count on GCD times. Even animations on these seem to be so short that they should have finished during GCD.

I have not played Jedi Consular nearly as much as this smuggler and dont remember abilites there but it also have them but far less that Smuggler.

Thanks for the specifics. Does the animation hiccup like the last couple of videos, or does the character just stand there?

I doubt i am the only one who, while spamming dps abilities on a boss, i click a cooldown (i dont bind cds over 2 mins long), only to realise that the cooldown never went off due to that delay.

Fix it please.

Edited by Rokrz

i doubt i am the only one who, while spamming dps abilities on a boss, i click a cooldown (i dont bind cds over 2 mins long), only to realise that the cooldown never went off due to that delay.

Fix it please.

guys

i just played my first warzone since my teens

i click all my moves and let me be the first to tell bioware that there is no delay

this game is rly awesome i especially like the 1 quest were i helped the kids get credits and water for 100 light side pts

the game is flawless and perfect no delay

all the people here saying there is a delay are lying

Here is a not so obvious crushing blow lockup. If you watch closely I hit the button and the GCD starts, then half second later the GCD resets and I have to hit the button again, my character does a double back swing and only connects with the animation after the second time I hit the button and the GCD starts again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_MMfOJow0c&context=C3d50270ADOEgsToPDskJYu1y-3uG_uWyCstMK7nMz

guys

i just played my first warzone since my teens

i click all my moves and let me be the first to tell bioware that there is no delay

this game is rly awesome i especially like the 1 quest were i helped the kids get credits and water for 100 light side pts

the game is flawless and perfect no delay

all the people here saying there is a delay are lying

I also am not getting any delay when playing. If you look at the videos some people are obviously have issues, and it is inappropriate to call them liars. If you would like to be helpful, please put down what server and class you are playing, and if you generally play on peak hours or off.

Thanks for the specifics. Does the animation hiccup like the last couple of videos, or does the character just stand there?

No hiccups, it just stands there looking pretty clueless whats happening :) Thing is that even tho animation has ended before GCD or at least has seemingly ended it still waits something, maybe a response from server about what was the result of that ability but it does not seem likely since then it would do it all the time.

Its like STO was on ground combat when it launched. It was slow and clumpy too BUT it was for different reason there and clearly visible why that happened and also it got fixed bit over half a year after launch i think. Reason there was as simple as long GCD plus add to that abilitys own CD after GCD but that is not the issue here.

guys

Seriously... stop making yourself look bad.

I have reroll every single class but one passed level 10 looking for one class where this issue is not flagrant, to no avail.

Unless this is fixed and fast it is unlikely that I will continue. The game and story are brilliant, the combat issue makes me pull my hair every time I am facing a mob.

I also am not getting any delay when playing. If you look at the videos some people are obviously have issues, and it is inappropriate to call them liars. If you would like to be helpful, please put down what server and class you are playing, and if you generally play on peak hours or off.

hahahahahahaha

Here is a not so obvious crushing blow lockup. If you watch closely I hit the button and the GCD starts, then half second later the GCD resets and I have to hit the button again, my character does a double back swing and only connects with the animation after the second time I hit the button and the GCD starts again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_MMfOJow0c&context=C3d50270ADOEgsToPDskJYu1y-3uG_uWyCstMK7nMz

I see what you are saying. It also looks like you are pounding the button. Can you try just hitting it once and seeing what it does? I want to see if it is an issue with the ability not firing at all and the second key press is working, or if the second key press is interrupting. It looks like you hit it somewhere between 3-5 times.

If you would like to be helpful, please put down what server and class you are playing, and if you generally play on peak hours or off.

You are hijacking the thread, misleading and confusing the people and most importantly plainly insulting people who have gone to great length to explain this issue. This has nothing to do whether you play at peak hours or not or on which server you play.

No hiccups, it just stands there looking pretty clueless whats happening :) Thing is that even tho animation has ended before GCD or at least has seemingly ended it still waits something, maybe a response from server about what was the result of that ability but it does not seem likely since then it would do it all the time.

Its like STO was on ground combat when it launched. It was slow and clumpy too BUT it was for different reason there and clearly visible why that happened and also it got fixed bit over half a year after launch i think. Reason there was as simple as long GCD plus add to that abilitys own CD after GCD but that is not the issue here.

Thanks, got it added to the list. Was the same kinda thing happening to your consular, do you remember?