So, Bioware, how much did you pay Cryptic to write your MMO?

MagicTiger

I'm dead serious here. If someone sat me down in front of this game and asked me to guess who made it, after 30 minutes of play my answer would be "Oh, Cryptic."

Why?

1. Any objective where you have to interact with something in the environment turns into a game of Hunt The Blue-Glowy Thing. If you've ever played a Cryptic MMO, you're familiar with this concept.

2. The UI is terrible. The only thing you can move is the chat box, you can only have two windows open at once, and you can choose which side a window goes on by what order you open it. This reminds me of Star Trek Online's UI, but STO's UI was better because you could actually move your ability bars.

3. The GTN UI. It's terrible, and it almost exactly matches what Star Trek Online had when they launched their version of the auction house. For anyone concerned with UI design for such a system, here's what people want: Type in a word and hit go. They do not want to guess what genus and species their desired widget belongs to. They want to put in a few letters of the item name and get a list.

Please, Bioware, say it ain't so. Tell us that you didn't just hire Cryptic to write your MMO for you. That would explain so much, including the outstanding bugs from beta that have been reported dozens of times with no signs of a fix coming any time soon. Companions laying down on the job after fighting a boss with knockdown effects, I'm looking at you here.

lol, it does kinda remind me of chamions online, now that you mention it... which was a horrible game apart from it's f'n awesome character creation system... which blows the one in this game away btw.

Fortunately this game does have some good points, which makes it salvageable, if they play it right.

Edited by Khechari

I'm dead serious here. If someone sat me down in front of this game and asked me to guess who made it, after 30 minutes of play my answer would be "Oh, Cryptic."

Why?

1. Any objective where you have to interact with something in the environment turns into a game of Hunt The Blue-Glowy Thing. If you've ever played a Cryptic MMO, you're familiar with this concept.

2. The UI is terrible. The only thing you can move is the chat box, you can only have two windows open at once, and you can choose which side a window goes on by what order you open it. This reminds me of Star Trek Online's UI, but STO's UI was better because you could actually move your ability bars.

3. The GTN UI. It's terrible, and it almost exactly matches what Star Trek Online had when they launched their version of the auction house. For anyone concerned with UI design for such a system, here's what people want: Type in a word and hit go. They do not want to guess what genus and species their desired widget belongs to. They want to put in a few letters of the item name and get a list.

Please, Bioware, say it ain't so. Tell us that you didn't just hire Cryptic to write your MMO for you. That would explain so much, including the outstanding bugs from beta that have been reported dozens of times with no signs of a fix coming any time soon. Companions laying down on the job after fighting a boss with knockdown effects, I'm looking at you here.

I must admit there is a familiar feel between Cryptic's STO and SWTOR, as you said, the UI, GTN and even the graphic art style is very familiar with STO's. This is where the familiarity ends though.

The overall production value in terms of everything associated with story and quests, combat, animations and sounds and etc.. FARRRRR surpasses STO's.

I must admit there is a familiar feel between Cryptic's STO and SWTOR, as you said, the UI, GTN and even the graphic art style is very familiar with STO's. This is where the familiarity ends though.

The overall production value in terms of everything associated with story and quests, combat, animations and sounds and etc.. FARRRRR surpasses STO's.

This. The game plays a lot better than any of the Cryptic games that I have played which would be all of them.

Indeed ! There are many similarities here with STO...a game i quit because it was horrible...

Will do the same if Bioware has not shown SIGNIFICANTLY improvement in bug fixing and their ATTITUDE and COMMUNICATION to the community in 3 months time.ä

I think its more than fair to fund the beta erhmm sorry "release" phase state the game is currently in with more than 3 months of monthly payments, more than fair.

By the way, the way the overzeleous fanbois defend the lack of bug fixing also reminminds me EXACTLY of the fanbois in STO back then....so much it is scarry ! Just see what happend to STO, free to play fast :-(

Can I have your stuff when you quit? Just mail it to me and Ill pick it up at the soonest moment convenient for me.

Do you know how unintelligent that answer or "go back to WOW" makes you look ? It sounds like something my 5 year old daughter would say when she is discussing with her 2 year older sister. In other words for an adult to use such retoric is, well just plain childish :-)

doesn´t this game use the same engine as Champions online?

(btw it´s pretty normal that mmo companies buy a engine instead of developing a new one)

It sure feels like the same engine sometimes. STO used a modified version of the Champions engine, but I figured that since SWTOR wasn't announced until after the Champions release and still took a few years, they'd use a better engine.

doesn´t this game use the same engine as Champions online?

(btw it´s pretty normal that mmo companies buy a engine instead of developing a new one)

No. SWTOR uses HeroEngine which was developed Simutronics. CO/STO didn't use it.

However, the crappy cryp style of development elements seem pretty obvious but I would argue that its just a general route that many mmo's go. Cryptic really isnt about making quality games anyway, they're about making games they can sell off to unsuspecting/overly optimistic publishers so they can get cash infused and move on to another snake oil. That is Emmert's business style in a nutshell.

Wait, I thought Blizzard and Trion made this game? Someone lied to me.

If Blizzard made the game the graphics would be worse but would be really, really smooth, and the combat would be amazing. If Trion made the game, you'd have a much better skill system and about 10% the number of bug complaints on this forum that you have now.

Edited by Mannic

wait I played STO and IT WAS HORRIBLE! This game is much better than STO. First you cant compare because its a spaceship MMO (albeit with horrible ground battles). I dont get how you can compare the two?

What did you do in ground missions in STO? You ran around killing things until you made it to the blue glowy thing you right-clicked. What do you do for missions in TOR? You run around killing things until you make it to the blue glowy thing you right-click.

STO had a pretty static interface where you could only open two windows at a time and had very limited customization on where things showed up. (Granted, I'm going from memory on that, and they may have fixed it by now) TOR suffers from the same UI problem.

People seem to think I'm talking down TOR for all this. I'm honestly not. I really do enjoy the game, I just hope that some magical patch down the line goes "We were only kidding with that old client! Here's the real one." and it'll all be better with fewer bugs, better customization, and a UI that wasn't designed by a chimpanzee.

It sure feels like the same engine sometimes. STO used a modified version of the Champions engine, but I figured that since SWTOR wasn't announced until after the Champions release and still took a few years, they'd use a better engine.

Not that it's really important, but Champions came out in September of 2009, SWTOR was announced in late 2008 (October?). So SWTOR was announced almost a full year before Champions came out.

Not that it's really important, but Champions came out in September of 2009, SWTOR was announced in late 2008 (October?). So SWTOR was announced almost a full year before Champions came out.

Oops, my mistake. I thought SWTOR was announced in late 2009.

Thanks for pointing that out.

OP, I'll at least give you credit for #1 as I don't think that's been mentioned much in the forums. Not sure why your point is. So you have to interact with an object in the environment and they highlight it for you so you can find it. And that is supposed to be a bad thing?

As for the other two, the general and GTN interfaces have been covered in the forums at length....no real need to start a duplicate thread on this stuff. We all know they need improvement....BW knows they need improvement....BW has stated that they are working on improving both of them. So really what does another thread moaning about them do but further clutter up the forums?

My biggest complaint so far. The OP is so dead on with this, it's scary.

They need to unlock the UI elements and allow for more than 2 windows to be open at a given time. And for the sake of all that is holy, QUIT CLOSING MY GTN WINDOW EVERY TIME ONE OF MY COMPANIONS COMES BACK FROM A MISSION!!!!

It really grates the nerves to finally get to the part of the GTN I was looking for, only to have the window snap shut because C2-N2 has returned with a goodie box.

The UI is by far the worst part of the game for me... But at least it isn't as bad as FFXIV... Nothing could be worse than that lol...

Why?

Lmao really? this made me laugh you can't possibly be serious.. have you played any of those ****** cryptic mmos? Nothing about SWTOR even comes close.

OP, I'll at least give you credit for #1 as I don't think that's been mentioned much in the forums. Not sure why your point is. So you have to interact with an object in the environment and they highlight it for you so you can find it. And that is supposed to be a bad thing?

As for the other two, the general and GTN interfaces have been covered in the forums at length....no real need to start a duplicate thread on this stuff. We all know they need improvement....BW knows they need improvement....BW has stated that they are working on improving both of them. So really what does another thread moaning about them do but further clutter up the forums?

So do we really need another self appointed forum moderator?

At least the OP knows how to use humor to get a point across; all you seem to manage is misplaced self importance with a dash of pompous on the side…

If your inner fanboi has gotten a hurty bottom over this post you should consider switching to decaf.

Lighten up brah.

:rolleyes: