Story can't make up for the grind

Electroflux

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Now with that said, they are bonus, optional quests. If you don't do them, you aren't losing out on much.

Exactly and I find that more often then not I will get those done anyway as I make my way to my main objective.

Bonus Series: Kill 35 Rogue Droids, Kill 60 Rogue Droids and then go kill the Master Rogue Droid (that you passed about a half hour ago.) Pretty grindy, more-so that anything WoW pitched at you.

Now with that said, they are bonus, optional quests. If you don't do them, you aren't losing out on much.

Your second point voids the first.

Bonus Series: Kill 35 Rogue Droids, Kill 60 Rogue Droids and then go kill the Master Rogue Droid (that you passed about a half hour ago.) Pretty grindy, more-so that anything WoW pitched at you.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to say more about the bonus quests. They made them optional but not doing them leaves you on a nice amount of experience where I feel obligated to do.

In case anyone isn't understanding, I don't mean grind as killing mobs to level up, I mean the side quests are still a grind because even if you are doing a quest, you're still killing mobs. If you put all the side quests together you do in this game and how many mobs you kill (including bonus if you decide to do it), it's one HUGE grind.

Basically the side quests are collect or killing a certain amount.

They never change, ever. I don't expect them to ever change up to level 50 either and because of this they feel like more of a grind rather then entertainment or enjoyment. They are there mainly just for experience to get your character moving and the class quest line is more of what the game is about. But to enjoy the class quest line, you're required to do these atrocious quests over and over a thousand times just to repeat the same lines and get points.

Ummm..... not true actually and sorry i call you out for blatant misrepresentation you are not required to do side quests to advance your class my wife and I are atm only doing class quests so we can get our legacy, then we plan on going back to do all the side missions we bypassed to get there. If you are referring to the bonus kill x 10 etc they happen automatically anyway (granted some side missions you pick up ask for this too but you can refuse those anyway) and you usually complete them on your way to objective. I edited my earlier post to include a side quest line that gives you the title "the Revanite". I apologise for my frankness but we have experienced nothing like the questing you are referring too. It is just not true. and by mostly doing only our class quests we seem to be leveling without grinding....and loving it!!!

Ummm..... not true actually and sorry i call you out for blatant misrepresentation you are not required to do side quests to advance your class my wife and I are atm only doing class quests so we can get our legacy, then we plan on going back to do all the side missions we bypassed to get there. If you are referring to the bonus kill x 10 etc they happen automatically anyway (granted some side missions you pick up ask for this too but you can refuse those anyway) and you usually complete them on your way to objective. I edited my earlier post to include a side quest line that gives you the title "the Revanite". I apologise for my frankness but we have experienced nothing like the questing you are referring too. It is just not true. and by mostly doing only our class quests we seem to be leveling without grinding....and loving it!!!

Well, maybe if I had another person with me doing it then that would be more believable but I don't think you can actually level up through this game by strictly doing your class quest line. If you can, then damn, I will not be doing anymore side quests.

*laughs maniacally*

If this is a grind to you, never ever ever ever ever ever step into the world of Korean MMOs (my games of choice, mind you).

You're so spoiled you don't even comprehend what a grind is.

People got to max level before early access ended. The grind is nonexistent.

*laughs maniacally*

If this is a grind to you, never ever ever ever ever ever step into the world of Korean MMOs (my games of choice, mind you).

You're so spoiled you don't even comprehend what a grind is.

People got to max level before early access ended. The grind is nonexistent.

Actually, I played Assassin in Aion for a couple months.

I got to level 29 during early access in a couple days, but I wasn't skipping everything. I skip most things now but since nothing ever changes in the side quest department, it feels like a grind and I feel like I'm losing more interest as I level up even though I like the class quest line which is unfortunate.

You just have to be more picky. Don't feel like you have to drink every single drop of content offered by the game, because a lot of it is boring filler content (like bonus missions). Do only what you like and skip the crap.

I'm a stealth class. I stealth everywhere and don't bother killing all the million boring mobs lying between me and my destination. I completely shun bonus quests and heroics, and I haven't even bothered with bonus series so far (maybe after I reach 50 so I can rush through the boring "go use/fetch/kill XXX" parts in between the interesting bits aka the cutscenes).

The game is much less grindy and therefore much more enjoyable as a result. I do tons of warzones anyway so exp isn't much of an issue.

Just realize that the only function of bonus quests and such is to pad out the actual content. You can shun that crappy padding and do something you like better (such as warzones, space missions, etc) instead.

Edited by Zlodo

One example of a side quest that is different (and I will let you find it for yourselves) is one you pick up at an outpost in Balmorra. My wife started it cause she was bored waiting for me while I tooled around gearing my companion. The npc says something like "you must be one of those wowers looking for a bit of scratch on the side" ROFLMAO we both cracked up at this (i think the mission had you bet on someone succesfully negotiating a minefield or you could do it yourself) not sure didnt pay much attention but the comment *****ed up my ears. Looking forward to what more surprises the side missions may have in store.

you dont know what a grind is ... go play aion till at least lvl 40 then you know the meaning of the word grind lol , .. this is one of the eisiest mmorpg's i know to lvl u pto lvl 50 .. dont like it .. maybe tetris is your game or something?

One example of a side quest that is different (and I will let you find it for yourselves) is one you pick up at an outpost in Balmorra. My wife started it cause she was bored waiting for me while I tooled around gearing my companion. The npc says something like "you must be one of those wowers looking for a bit of scratch on the side" ROFLMAO we both cracked up at this (i think the mission had you bet on someone succesfully negotiating a minefield or you could do it yourself) not sure didnt pay much attention but the comment *****ed up my ears. Looking forward to what more surprises the side missions may have in store.

LOL at language filter tried to use a word that describes what happens if u p r i c k ur finger on a thorn

You just have to be more picky. Don't feel like you have to drink every single drop of content offered by the game, because a lot of it is boring filler content (like bonus missions). Do only what you like and skip the crap.

I'm a stealth class. I stealth everywhere and don't bother killing all the million boring mobs lying between me and my destination. I completely shun bonus quests and heroics, and I haven't even bothered with bonus series so far (maybe after I reach 50 so I can rush through the boring "go use/fetch/kill XXX" parts in between the interesting bits aka the cutscenes).

The game is much less grindy and therefore much more enjoyable as a result. I do tons of warzones anyway so exp isn't much of an issue.

Just realize that the only function of bonus quests and such is to pad out the actual content. You can shun that crappy padding and do something you like better (such as warzones, space missions, etc) instead.

You're right, I have attempted that. The problem with Warzones and I'm typically a PvP'er in MMO's, is that as a low level I get rolled hard and I feel like I'm hurting the team then helping it. I'm a tank Sith Juggernaut right now but I just can't dig the Warzones yet until i level up. Space Missions typically go quick and usually you have to repeat them twice for extra quests, which are basically around the same idea of bonus quests.

I can try and skip things, if I can help it but it's just so unappealing at this point I'm having a hard time logging on and doing it.

way too many long hallways and loading screens, way too many side quests that you have to spacebar through

i also like the story but i think this thread nails it

like tbh i think you could tell the class story in like a 10 page short story

Honestly, you're right. The long hallways, huge planets I have to keep riding my slow speeder around don't really help pick up the pace of the lack of entertainment from the side quests that you must do.

Like you said, I think the actual class storyline (which is really predictable and generic) in full, is probably really short...just the dialogue makes it seem longer.

You're right, I have attempted that. The problem with Warzones and I'm typically a PvP'er in MMO's, is that as a low level I get rolled hard and I feel like I'm hurting the team then helping it. I'm a tank Sith Juggernaut right now but I just can't dig the Warzones yet until i level up. Space Missions typically go quick and usually you have to repeat them twice for extra quests, which are basically around the same idea of bonus quests.

I can try and skip things, if I can help it but it's just so unappealing at this point I'm having a hard time logging on and doing it.

Indeed, that's a problem I didn't have because I started early enough that I wasn't facing people 30-40 levels above me right from level 10. That's why they really need some brackets.

Oh REALLY? If I had a dollar for every intergalactic space gansters, rebel forces, and droids/slicing that had to be done :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's one reason why side quests tend to get old, 90% of them look like this:

"OMG our vital resource <X> is being sabotaged by <Y> but somehow we are completely unable to do anything about it ourselves because <Z>. Please go and singlehandedly fix it for us!"

My favorite recurrent reply from my character: "Wow. There's useless, and then there's you people."

Edited by Zlodo

What kinda side quests do you guys expect? There are only so many things you can do on a game and kill this or gather this, push this button, and thats about it. and how long do you think wow was in development for? if you don't like the side quests don't do them you get enough xp from the class quests along with one of the following to lvl accurately random flashpoints, BG's, Side quests, companion affection quests or space missions. You have choices which is more than some MMO's have and the questing in WOW was the same exact way. gather, kill, click on object. does no one remember Northrend, and the new exp. Cata is the same way not been to uldum or deepholm what about twilight highlands go get the food beer and medallions for the dwarves there.

Doing the class quests side missions companion missions space mission bg's and flashpoints gives you an insane amount of xp asking to raise the xp for any of it just means your lazy and really don't want to play the game at all you wanted it handed to you. LOL! if your not happy go back to your lvl 85 on wow where you don't have to lvl till next expansion when you want your kung fu panda and pokemon. Cause thats original ideas too.

In all the MMOs I ever played its always the same thing and I dont think it can be any different. Its always, "kill this many enemies" or "collect this amount of this". How different can it get in video games? Thats all it ever is. (especially in MMOs). But they still make it a fun experience. Thats what makes all these MMOs different. And SWTOR makes it really fun.

What kinda side quests do you guys expect? There are only so many things you can do on a game and kill this or gather this, push this button, and thats about it. and how long do you think wow was in development for? if you don't like the side quests don't do them you get enough xp from the class quests along with one of the following to lvl accurately random flashpoints, BG's, Side quests, companion affection quests or space missions. You have choices which is more than some MMO's have and the questing in WOW was the same exact way. gather, kill, click on object. does no one remember Northrend, and the new exp. Cata is the same way not been to uldum or deepholm what about twilight highlands go get the food beer and medallions for the dwarves there.

Doing the class quests side missions companion missions space mission bg's and flashpoints gives you an insane amount of xp asking to raise the xp for any of it just means your lazy and really don't want to play the game at all you wanted it handed to you. LOL! if your not happy go back to your lvl 85 on wow where you don't have to lvl till next expansion when you want your kung fu panda and pokemon. Cause thats original ideas too.

What does WoW have to do with any of this?

What grind are you talking about? I have seen no grind in this game so far, aside for maybe PvP Commendations and Armor, but that's it.

I have -never- had the need to go outside of my quests and kill random things in order to level up. That's what a grind is, having to kill NPCs over and over again in order to level. From your posts I've gathered that you're upset because your leveling experience so far has been quest after quest after quest. Um, what do you want? This game's quest system literally takes you right up to 50 if you do them right.

Kill X-Creature 15 times? Collect Y-Item 10 times? I have probably only had about 5 quests which tell me to go do something like that, the rest of the time when I have a quest which pokes at me to do something monotonous like that they are all Bonus quests. Just so you know, bonus quests are optional. If you don't want to grind those kills, then don't. I feel like TOR has done a great job in making sure that the quests will carry you through 1-50. If you have to grind creatures to kill you then that is entirely your fault. Plus, TOR has done something really cool with their quests. I can't remember any other MMO who has done so many different things with their quests, such as how TOR prompts you to install things in places, rewire droids, but shock collars on people, etc, it's really fun.