Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why do they let people that are Republic that go DS stay Republic?

AirshipGirl

People are always complaining that the game needs to stay true to the canon of the Star Wars Universe, yet we see in this game players playing Jedis turning completely to the darkside as a Jedi. In my opinion that is just wrong. It should force you to switch alliances and make you a Sith.

Anyone else agree with this?

Edited by AirshipGirl

People are always complaining that the game needs to stay true to the canon of the Star Wars Universe, yet we see in this game players playing Jedis turning completely to the darkside as a Jedi. In my opinion that is just wrong. It should force you to switch alliances and make you a Sith.

Just because you go against jedi teachings doesn't make you a sith. That only makes you a dark jedi. You can also still strongly believe in the republic even though you are evil.

No. They've explained this time and time again. The Sith are not only a sect of Force users but also a culture with their own traditions and worldview. A Jedi is not going to suddenly turn his or her back on everything they believe in to join the Sith Empire just because that particular Jedi has fallen to the Dark Side.

Similarly, Sith who are Light Side will not want to turn their back on their culture, friends, and family to join the Republic.

Thousands of years later Dark Jedi tend to be labeled as Sith but that is long after the collapse of the Sith Empire.

Just because you go against jedi teachings doesn't make you a sith. That only makes you a dark jedi. You can also still strongly believe in the republic even though you are evil.

It is wrong and goes against the canon. Dark Jedi(aka also known as Sith even in the expanded Universe) are Sith, not Jedi. So as such they do not have place in the Jedi order at all. The player that decided to go darkside should have to switch sides and play their character out as a Sith.

Because then everyone would be Empire lol. Unless you changed to the point you just got your opposing classes abilities. It would also make the lightside/darkside choices kinda moot because you would only really have one choice if you wanted to remain with your friends and what not. Also it would not make sense for a commando or bounty hunter change sides based on morality or get force corruption but that's another story entirely.

The attraction of paid faction change is too strong.

It is wrong and goes against the canon. Dark Jedi(aka also known as Sith even in the expanded Universe) are Sith, not Jedi. So as such they do not have place in the Jedi order at all. The player that decided to go darkside should have to switch sides and play their character out as a Sith.

i hope you are trolling, because if not then you have a rock for a head :p

well thats not true there have always been a sharp distinction between dark jedi and true sith.

Besides both the republic and empire are factions where all members do no not neccesarily swear to the same ideologies and philisophies. They might claim allegiance to the same motives but individual methods approaches and personal motivations can vary considerably.

Dark Jedi are not exactly Sith. There is a distinction. Which is made time and time again in the canon of the Star Wars universe.

Your knowledge of the canon is lackluster.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Jedi

Educate yourself.

I am not trolling. It would have been better if all players start out neutral and as we play and make our decisions it would then place us accordingly based on our choices we made in game. That makes more sense than what they did here. Everyone that wished to play a Jedi would start out as a padawan. Then as you make choices during the story it would guide you to either becoming a Jedi or send you character on a quest to become a Sith.

Once you are either on Tython or Korriban, then you choose you path as a Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, or on Korriban whatever choices they have . Then you go on from there.

Everyone else starts out as neutral and also has to decide what side they wish to play for. Once you made your choice with in game choices it will place you accordingly. That is how it should have been done. That would make way more sense than seeing darkside Jedis and Lightside Sith.

Hello,

I think as long as you are serving the Republic, you should not have to switch sides even if you become 'evil.' However, hopefully people on your side will start treating you badly if you don't conform to the morality of your people.

I suspect in the future it will be possible to choose a new side, and for that you may need to be firmly in the morality of the new side. But that is different from being forced into a different allegiance based on your moral alignment.

That is extremely false.

Dark Jedi are people with Force powers (often trained as Jedi, but not necessarily so) that do things for selfish gain, and do not adhere to the Jedi Code. They more or less do whatever they want.

The Sith have their own set of codes and traditions that other Sith have to follow, as well as their own culture. While Dark Jedi are usually renegades on their own, the Sith create a kind of culture and society. They follow a very distinctive philosophy; that strength from the Force comes from raw emotion, and that it is only through power that one can truly be free. They also believe that the Force is something to control, not something to be controlled by.

A Sith can employ Dark Jedi to do their bidding (as was done in the Clone Wars and by Sidious during his reign over the Empire) but that does not make these Dark Jedi Sith.

Also, a Dark Jedi would rather have the Republic win over the Empire because that would mean their own society would stay alive for them to exploit. The Sith more or less hate *all* Jedi, dark or light, because the Jedi committed genocide on their people.

Just like a Light Sith more or less wants to help the Empire but in ways that don't necessitate brutality and needless violence.

Edited by cdstephen

I didn't search to find the post on this so according to a rumor I have read the legacy system when implemented would allow allegiance changes based on your decisions in game. So a Dark Jedi could flip imperial and a Light Sith could flip republic. If true this could lead into some really interesting story lines afterwards.

I didn't search to find the post on this so according to a rumor I have read the legacy system when implemented would allow allegiance changes based on your decisions in game. So a Dark Jedi could flip imperial and a Light Sith could flip republic. If true this could lead into some really interesting story lines afterwards.

Rumors are just that rumors there is no fact to support them. Rumor says when you get to level 100 legacy you become the emperor of the entire server.... Its just gossip because people are bored.

I am not trolling. It would have been better if all players start out neutral and as we play and make our decisions it would then place us accordingly based on our choices we made in game. That makes more sense than what they did here. Everyone that wished to play a Jedi would start out as a padawan. Then as you make choices during the story it would guide you to either becoming a Jedi or send you character on a quest to become a Sith.

Once you are either on Tython or Korriban, then you choose you path as a Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, or on Korriban whatever choices they have . Then you go on from there.

Everyone else starts out as neutral and also has to decide what side they wish to play for. Once you made your choice with in game choices it will place you accordingly. That is how it should have been done. That would make way more sense than seeing darkside Jedis and Lightside Sith.

You don't understand Star Wars canon. Please stop using the word.

The Empire and Republic are POLITICAL entities. There is no evil/good distinction between the two. If you're a purely neutral 3rd party viewer, you'd feel nothing for the Republic or Empire. BEING A MEMBER of either makes the OTHER your enemy. The Empire sees itself as doing what is good for the Empire and the same applies to the Republic. Neither are evil. There are several conversations in game that illustrate how the Empire believes what it is doing is for the greater good. Its just a differing viewpoint.

Dark Side vs. Light Side is a morality choice. Dark Side is usually evil. They are not necessarily Sith. Sith was a species (is a species in TOR) that intermingled with the outcast Dark Side Force users following the Battle of Corbos. Eventually Sith came to mean members of this offshoot culture instead of the race itself. Again - not inherently evil.

Over the 3,000+ years since the Old Republic Sith came to be exclusively Dark Side Force users as you see in SW E1. The Empire was abolished in strict form and the Republic ruled, roughly. Palpatine takes over, converts the Republic to an Empire in E4 and there's no need to call it the "Sith Empire" because it encompasses the known galaxy, not just those who sprang from the initial merger of the Sith people and Dark Side outcasts.

Edited by aznthecapn

A Dark Jedi is simply that, a Jedi fallen to the dark side. They are no more a Sith than a Force Adept (with their own religion) that follows a dark path.

I play light side Sith. doesn't mean I want to let go of my character's emotions or join the republic. my Sage is dark side. not becasue she's evil, but becasue she has trouble with not feeling.

allegiances =/=alignment

that said - storyline that allows you to defect (once per character and never again) would be pretty awesome.

It would be nice to be able to do this for people that wanted to for RP reasons atleast. I know Everquest 2 had this option where you would have to go through a long quest chain to defect to the other side Freeport (Evil) or Quenos (Good) so it is possible to do in an MMO.

But since its story based there would have to be some big changes in writing of the story for all the classes, unless ofcorse they would just make it a seamless transition where a lets say a Smuggler defects join the Imp Agency, the class would still be a smuggler but maybee they would just carry on the Imp Agent story line from there on..kinda gets complicated there.

It would be nice to be able to do this for people that wanted to for RP reasons atleast. I know Everquest 2 had this option where you would have to go through a long quest chain to defect to the other side Freeport (Evil) or Quenos (Good) so it is possible to do in an MMO.

But since its story based there would have to be some big changes in writing of the story for all the classes, unless ofcorse they would just make it a seamless transition where a lets say a Smuggler defects join the Imp Agency, the class would still be a smuggler but maybee they would just carry on the Imp Agent story line from there on..kinda gets complicated there.

or you can only defect after you hit level cap... and basically you get a story that forks. you can ether affirm your allegiance to the side you started out with... or you can defect.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.