The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Do you think story is really what MMO players want?

SnoopyDoo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ever bought a DVD so they could watch it multiple times? Or bought a good book series from a trusted author so they could reread it multiple times? Welcome to a video game that subscribes to the same axiom - good story never grows old for people who enjoy good story.

Sure I have. But, I didn't keep paying 15$ a month to watch that movie or read that book. By your logic, SWTOR should be F2P after the initial box purchase.

*didn't read the whole thread because I don't have 3 hours free I'm playing the game*

Story too me is important because I've had my fill of grind-fest mmos or ones where the story element is minimal. Examples being Lineage 2 and WoW. I am a RPG fan before I am an MMO fan.

*didn't read the whole thread because I don't have 3 hours free I'm playing the game*

Story too me is important because I've had my fill of grind-fest mmos or ones where the story element is minimal. Examples being Lineage 2 and WoW. I am a RPG fan before I am an MMO fan.

So buy single player games, another shining example of the single player gamers that this game brought in who will leave after a few months.

Edited by Gunryu

No I dont, well sorta. Sadly alot of MMO'ers have the attention span of a gnat so WoW and its many clones do very well. A game like SWTOR that is immersive and story driven may be a little too much for the average WoW (MMO) player.

However, gamers will love SWTOR.

No I dont, well sorta. Sadly alot of MMO'ers have the attention span of a gnat so WoW and its many clones do very well. A game like SWTOR that is immersive and story driven may be a little too much for the average WoW (MMO) player.

However, gamers will love SWTOR.

Funny, you need quite the bit of attention to raid and pvp in WoW, stop saying MMO players aren't gamers.

When you have leveled all the classes you are out of story, he eluded to the fact that he has no interest in pvp or raiding.
Granted SWTOR isn't on WoW's level when it comes to end game. But WoW wasn't on WoW's level when it was first released either. Not sure TOR is targeted for the obsessive MMO end-gamer. That's not a shortcoming unless it's what one expects from the games they play. In WoW's case (according to WoWprogress.com at least) that comprises only 14.6% of their subscriber base. Not enough to warrant going away from what BW does best I'm guessing. Edited by GalacticKegger

Does no one realize WOW has a story too? i mean Arthas, Thrall, Deathwing Story. lol come on every mmo has a story this one is no diff and there isnt enough people max lvl for anyone to be sitting back saying end game sucks cause whats end game about a lot of diff stuff PVP, Credits, Raiding, Trolling, Flashpoints, RP, Mounts, Pets, and much much more. And thats not it guess what every patch and expansion brings new you guesses it content. they have a new raid and a new flashpoint scheduled to launch at the end of this month. pretty impressive to me.

WOW take 9 to 10 months between patches for new content and the patches get further and further apart with each one!

story is important to me. and yes, it makes killing 10 boars more fun, becasue not only do I have a better reason to kill them, sometimes I can decide if I'll get my reward from 10 boars from another person.. or talk to another person and chose NOT to kill 10 boars... or request extra payment for my 10 boars, or be all generous and offer to kill 10 boars grattis.

better story makes the journey to level cap more fun, and good story can actually facilitate the conversation among the group (at least in my experience it did, someone would comment on some story twist and then the chat would come alive and the group would feel like a real group, rather then you and some henchmen rushing through content)

It's not that important to me which is way I typically do not make it far in BW single player interactive movies. But I am liking this game.

This thread is really long by now. So, Qoojo probably won't see my take on his statement.

I call it the Bioware Conversation Simulator (TM - I can't figure out how to write superscript in this forum). ;) I still love them.

Edited by SpeckledHen

single player gamers that this game brought in who will leave after a few months.

I think the regular content updates will keep a very healthy amount of subscriptions around. If SWTOR was just launch content and never any more, then I'd agree that going after the singleplayer demographic would be hazardous, but that's not the case. There's always going to be more adventures to keep people coming back. Not at the pace that would satisfy the people who are already capped, no. But at the pace that would satisfy the normal player, I bet yeah.

story is important to me. and yes, it makes killing 10 boars more fun, becasue not only do I have a better reason to kill them, sometimes I can decide if I'll get my reward from 10 boars from another person.. or talk to another person and chose NOT to kill 10 boars... or request extra payment for my 10 boars, or be all generous and offer to kill 10 boars grattis.

better story makes the journey to level cap more fun, and good story can actually facilitate the conversation among the group (at least in my experience it did, someone would comment on some story twist and then the chat would come alive and the group would feel like a real group, rather then you and some henchmen rushing through content)

They give reason in quest text, just because people opt not to bother READING (a lost art with this generation) and want everything spoken or read to them is not game companies problem, it is yours and yours alone.

I think the regular content updates will keep a very healthy amount of subscriptions around. If SWTOR was just launch content and never any more, then I'd agree that going after the singleplayer demographic would be hazardous, but that's not the case. There's always going to be more adventures to keep people coming back. Not at the pace that would satisfy the people who are already capped, no. But at the pace that would satisfy the normal player, I bet yeah.

And that's why XBOX 360 and PS3 have downloadable content for single player gamers, and they don't charge 15 bucks a month.

then care to explain why final fantsay 7 was the most successfull rpg for nearly 10 years? it was heavily story driven with at the time good gameplay but the story is what people remember they don't remember the gameplay.

That is arguable. Many people would say it was Diablo II. Not much story there.

And that's why XBOX 360 and PS3 have downloadable content for single player gamers, and they don't charge 15 bucks a month.

I don't play console games so I wouldn't know, but do they really do regular content updates multiple times a year for a game that launched 5+ years ago?

Funny, you need quite the bit of attention to raid and pvp in WoW, stop saying MMO players aren't gamers.

Im not sure what you are trying to say; however, I did want to point out you said PvP and WoW in the same "grouping of words".

I refuse to call it a sentence.

I don't play console games so I wouldn't know, but do they really do regular content updates multiple times a year for a game that launched 5+ years ago?

Nope but by that time people have moved on to newer games often put out by the same companies.

Nope but by that time people have moved on to newer games often put out by the same companies.

See, that's what MMOs do different. I can expect 5+ years of regular content updates from SWTOR. That's why I'm willing to pay $15/month, unlike console games that stop updating.

See, that's what MMOs do different. I can expect 5+ years of regular content updates from SWTOR. That's why I'm willing to pay $15/month, unlike console games that stop updating.

They do put out sequels etc tho, so technically I guess you could say yes they do if the game was a success.

This reminds me of the episode of Arrested Development where Tobias wrote a long reignation speech, BUT NOBODY CARED. Geeez, if you want to leave; Just Leave. People who like the game dont care that you left! I want to use the general forum for actual meaningful topics!