The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Do you think story is really what MMO players want?

SnoopyDoo

Because they are Star Wars fans trying to get the ONLY Star Wars MMO out at the moment to be what they love. :rolleyes:

I actually don't think this is what it is at all, mate.

Most of these people are MMO players that have come from other MMOs and want to turn this game into something like those MMOs.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they are Star Wars fans trying to get the ONLY Star Wars MMO out at the moment to be what they love. :rolleyes:

That is a mentality I can understand. I tried for the longest time to get Cryptic to make STO a better Star Trek experience (more character development, more non-combat, more diplomacy), but in the end I just had to throw my hands up in the air and give up. It was never going to be the Trek game I wanted. It was always going to be just pew pew Trek.

So I totally understand Star Wars fans wanting the only Star Wars MMO to be an MMO they can like. I can understand the frustration when you get a release that could be so good for your own tastes but it isn't.

I actually don't think this is what it is at all, mate.

Most of these people are MMO players that have come from other MMOs and want to turn this game into something like those MMOs.

Actually as it stands right now I HATE WoW I think Cataclysm was a complete ***** expansion and I love Star Wars (own all the movies and a few books) and was honestly hoping for a great MMO not KOTOR 3 with co-op capabilities.

(My main point out of all of this is that I don't think adding Story as a new pillar of the MMO is a smart move when trying to beat WoW in the MMO market)

Your point is fruitless and utterly ridiculous. It would only be useful if the SOLE reason that they made the game would be to try to beat/compete with WoW. However, their SOLE reason to make this game was to make a STORY DRIVEN MMORPG WITHIN THE OLD REPUBLIC UNIVERSE. That was the main point and launch of this game. To assume otherwise is utterly foolish.

Not only do I enjoy listening to my music while playing keeping sound effects on and a games music off, but I also like chatting in vent or teamspeak not telling everyong "Ok quiet now, I gotta hear the story!" again..........I want a game not a movie.

But the story is only present while levelling...and most Vent/TS chat goes on endgame where you won't have your class' story anymore.

Also, many games these days are marrying gaming and movie qualities together...I do believe this is actually a growing trend so you're probably going to have to get used to it eventually (or quit games! xD).

But, I understand that to an extent, especially endgame as I explained above. While personally I find the incessant chatter present on Vent/TS often annoying, I do understand why some people may enjoy it because I used to too (though nowadays I personally spend 8 hours every day at work constantly hearing chatter so I enjoy blocking out that stuff when playing games). However, like I said in an earlier post, you can actually mute the voice acting and just have the subtites. I think it's a shame to do so because once you reach endgame there will be more than enough opportunity to be on TS/Vent chatting while playing, not to mention the story is a one-time thing that your character will go through, but it's certainly possible.

Edited by Myrmedus

Not only do I enjoy listening to my music while playing keeping sound effects on and a games music off, but I also like chatting in vent or teamspeak not telling everyong "Ok quiet now, I gotta hear the story!" again..........I want a game not a movie.

The game's fine, mate! SWTOR / KOTOR-Online is simply not your type of game.

Edited by GalaxyDude

Actually as it stands right now I HATE WoW I think Cataclysm was a complete ***** expansion and I love Star Wars (own all the movies and a few books) and was honestly hoping for a great MMO not KOTOR 3 with co-op capabilities.

That's kind of my point though, what constitutes a "great MMO" in your eyes?

Your point is fruitless and utterly ridiculous. It would only be useful if the SOLE reason that they made the game would be to try to beat/compete with WoW. However, their SOLE reason to make this game was to make a STORY DRIVEN MMORPG WITHIN THE OLD REPUBLIC UNIVERSE. That was the main point and launch of this game. To assume otherwise is utterly foolish.

Not just that but I don't think they plan to all of a sudden neglect all the other 'pillars' of MMO gaming. The intent was to make everything else up to standard AND ADD story on top.

That's kind of my point though, what constitutes a "great MMO" in your eyes?

Ultima Online, Guild Wars, WoW before Cataclysm, Everquest 1 & 2.

Also adding cinematics is fine, but every single last thing you do seems to have one, and also as for your vent thing, I like to chat while leveling and laughing at stuff I see etc.

Edited by Gunryu

Not just that but I don't think they plan to all of a sudden neglect all the other 'pillars' of MMO gaming. The intent was to make everything else up to standard AND ADD story on top.

What other things are neglected?

Elite mobs? Here.

4-5 tiers of gear type, green, blue, purple, grey, white? Here.

Crafting? Here.

Levels? Here.

Group Content? Here.

Mounts? Here.

Raids? Here.

Mobs? Here.

Trinity of healer, tank, DPS? Here.

PvP? Here.

UI? Here.

What's missing?!

Elite mobs? Here.

Crafting? Here.

Levels? Here.

Group Content? Here.

Mounts? Here.

Raids? Here.

Mobs? Here.

PvP? Here.

UI? Here.

What's missing?!

A good UI - Not here

A good AH - Not here

Good pvp - Not here

Elite mobs? Here.

Crafting? Here.

Levels? Here.

Group Content? Here.

Mounts? Here.

Raids? Here.

Mobs? Here.

PvP? Here.

UI? Here.

What's missing?!

And people wonder why it's called a WoW-clone... lol.

Story isn't important, which is why BW games like NWN, ME, DA:O all flopped.

Oh wait- nope, they didn't, they did well, and it absolutely wasn't for gameplay. You want your twitchfest with nothing but action, you have CoD, and you want your story free grindfest where the only plots are lifted almost line for line from other popular fantasy sources, you have WoW.

For the millions who clearly loved BW games enough to buy their products year after year though... no, we've been waiting for an mmo with story for a long time- you want your WoW carbon copy? Aion, Rift, LotRO, etc... are all available. I'm glad they made questing something enjoyable for the first time in mmos... and if you don't like story, well, perhaps this isn't the right game for you, but, someone who hates shooters would probably find CoD to be the wrong game for them too. Amazing how that works.

Who care!? The story aspect was what BW advertised. If it's not your cup of tea then you owe it to yourself to keep looking for the MMO that's for you. Why all the dramatics on the boards? There are lots of MMOs that weren't for me, but I never felt compelled to post about it. I just simply moved on.

Story isn't important, which is why BW games like NWN, ME, DA:O all flopped.

Oh wait- nope, they didn't, they did well, and it absolutely wasn't for gameplay. You want your twitchfest with nothing but action, you have CoD, and you want your story free grindfest where the only plots are lifted almost line for line from other popular fantasy sources, you have WoW.

For the millions who clearly loved BW games enough to buy their products year after year though... no, we've been waiting for an mmo with story for a long time- you want your WoW carbon copy? Aion, Rift, LotRO, etc... are all available. I'm glad they made questing something enjoyable for the first time in mmos... and if you don't like story, well, perhaps this isn't the right game for you, but, someone who hates shooters would probably find CoD to be the wrong game for them too. Amazing how that works.

Single player games not MMOs, apples to oranges sir.

Ultima Online, Guild Wars, WoW before Cataclysm, Everquest 1 & 2.

I have to admit I disliked Guild Wars greatly, I felt it was empty, barren and soulless, but I can understand the others to an extent if I think about what I thought of them back when I actually played them.

However, I am definitely glad about how this MMO feels precisely because it's NOT like those games - incoming chunk of reasoning:

I played a degree of UO when I was young but not to any particular standard (since I was young!), only about 6 months. EQ2 was a bit longer, a 2 year spell but WoW was the big one for me which I played for 6+ years. I did pretty much everything there was to do in WoW: Glad titles, hardcore raiding etc. you name it. However, when I look back on that time I can't help but feel it was a total waste of time and the only good thing to come from it was a gorgeous girlfriend for 4 years! So much of the drive of MMOs is in gearing up your character one way or another, be it actual equipment or things like titles, unique items, and the latest ******** in WoW: Achievements.

The issue for me with these kinds of MMOs is their very nature and appeal is circular: you play to improve your character but improving your character has no point except to make you play more. It's why MMOs are so addictive but also why, at least IMO, when you do quit them and look at them from a distance they're so empty. There's no core there but just an endlessly perpetuating cycle. The only thing that you could say has substance is the social aspect but the vast majority of people you will meet on an MMO you will never, ever talk to again in your life once you stop playing, and the communities of MMOs these days is getting pretty bad with alot of the more elitist types migrating over to them from things like CStrike.

So what's left? Very little. This is what I like about TOR so much because there's alot more here than just gearing a character and talking to people who I may or may not ever talk to beyond a game screen or impersonal Vent/TS/IRC chat. In addition, there's room in the game to INCLUDE those aspects aswell.

A good UI - Not here

A good AH - Not here

Good pvp - Not here

Your opinion- the UI doesn't break the game and will be altered in time and with the addition of player custom mods.

GTN again isn't game breaking, and can be made more user friendly- also, it isn't terrible either.

PvP is enjoyable and the matches are team oriented- only pvp I've enjoyed more was some WAR maps, early Alterac Valley and siege BGs before they were ruined- the pvp is definitely good at the least, personally I find it to be very fun- but, that's entirely opinion, same with your assertion.

Fact is, the game has everything, it has plenty of content for everything, in general it's less buggy than the average launch mmo- and we've already seen big bugs like Taris memory leaks get fixed so we know they're working best they can. We also know they're adding more- they didn't neglect anything for the sake of story.

Really? I can't remember half of my story and no I don't spacebar my way through the game, it's just forgettable..........
And that's perfectly acceptable, as long as "expert" opinions don't devolve into adolescent name calling campaigns - which many unfortunately have. Edited by GalacticKegger

You might not think the story is important in an mmo, and I'm sure some people think otherwise. Do we really need an essay to explain that different people value different aspects of games? No. Moreover, this is a game from Bioware, and an emphasis on RPG story should be expected.

A good UI - Not here

A good AH - Not here

Good pvp - Not here

No offence Gunryu but I have to pick this apart.

All MMOs I played 2 weeks after release:

UI? ****. UO's and EQ1's didn't even scale with screen resolution, rofl.

AH: Er...what's an AH?

PvP: Oh, there's an enemy player: OH *** I DIED INSTANTLY? Huh? I got hit for 2x my HP in one attack?!

:D

I don't really agree with this assessment. Most of the people who are here "because its Star Wars" love this game for the Star Wars story, which is where it excels.

I think very few people want just a grindfest with lightsabers.

Your opinion- the UI doesn't break the game and will be altered in time and with the addition of player custom mods.

GTN again isn't game breaking, and can be made more user friendly- also, it isn't terrible either.

PvP is enjoyable and the matches are team oriented- only pvp I've enjoyed more was some WAR maps, early Alterac Valley and siege BGs before they were ruined- the pvp is definitely good at the least, personally I find it to be very fun- but, that's entirely opinion, same with your assertion.

Fact is, the game has everything, it has plenty of content for everything, in general it's less buggy than the average launch mmo- and we've already seen big bugs like Taris memory leaks get fixed so we know they're working best they can. We also know they're adding more- they didn't neglect anything for the sake of story.

Game breaking for me as I don't read the chat because I have to look up to read it, which means I miss out of groups/chats/guild etc.

Not being able to search for specific items is annoying and tends to cause people not to bother with the GTN

PVP is enjoyable if you are a high level so you can compete! No brackets makes it not very fun.

Single player games not MMOs, apples to oranges sir.

That's kind of the point mate, they're trying something new in fusing an apple and an orange to create an appange.

Many of today's gaming genres simply wouldn't exist if developers didn't try new things or to marry different concepts together that previously were considered "incompatible". Remember when it was commented that bringing in movie-like cutscenes and whatnot into games was a bad idea? Then remember the acclaim MGS received? And that game even had a clumsy script/plot (Kojima, enough said).

Some of the greatest games ever made were so great because they took a risk, tried something new rather than sticking with the safe tried and tested.

It will never appeal to everyone but I for one am glad people are still trying new things and as far as TOR is concerned I'm happy with the results so far.