The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

WoW vs. TOR: Comparing game launches

Maloreon

I still remember the endless posts whining, crying, and threatening to quit for MONTHS while Blizzard's servers failed miserably at and after launch of WoW. I recall thousands, nay millions of threads saying that this would "REALLY COST BLIZZARD BIGTIME" since people were so frustrated. I recall reading posts saying Blizzard's image was "SCARRED" permanently, etc. I remember people being SO righteously angry about how badly Blizzard was treating them - but yet they still sat in queue for 1-2 hours every night waiting to play. The QQ on those forums crushed any amount of QQ here...

And then WoW went on to break basically every known video game record and become a worldwide phenomenon. That is funny, because WoW's launch actually WAS terrible. It was a disaster, and the game went on to dominate for years.

Still, somehow, the crybabies on these forums are actually convincing themselves that today, tomorrow, the rest of EA, or any other slightly negative event in SW:TOR history will have any impact on their number of subscriptions in the coming years.

For those of you that are angry and about to type up a really nasty response to this post, you know it is true. You know that this is a fact - that they won't be hurt by this. That you WILL keep playing. Furthermore, you know this launch is actually going well - yet you still whine. But go ahead, keep making posts fussing about how this game will fail - and I will keep pointing you to a game with the worst MMO launch in history that went on to dominate just as this game will in this era.

Welcome to the SW:TOR era of MMO's.

Edited by Maloreon

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still remember the endless posts whining, crying, and threatening to quit for MONTHS while Blizzard's servers failed miserably at and after launch of WoW. I recall thousands, nay millions of threads saying that this would "REALLY COST BLIZZARD BIGTIME" since people were so frustrated. I recall reading posts saying Blizzard's image was "SCARRED" permanently, etc. I remember people being SO righteously angry about how badly Blizzard was treating them - but yet they still sat in queue for 1-2 hours every night waiting to play. The QQ on those forums crushed any amount of QQ here...

And then WoW went on to break basically every known video game record and become a worldwide phenomenon. That is funny, because WoW's launch actually WAS terrible. It was a disaster, and the game went on to dominate for years.

Still, somehow, the crybabies on these forums are actually convincing themselves that today, tomorrow, the rest of EA, or any other slightly negative event in SW:TOR history will have any impact on their number of subscriptions in the coming years.

For those of you that are angry and about to type up a really nasty response to this post, you know it is true. You know that this is a fact - that they won't be hurt by this. That you WILL keep playing. Furthermore, you know this launch is actually going well - yet you still whine. But go ahead, keep making posts fussing about how this game will fail - and I will keep pointing you to a game with the worst MMO launch in history that went on to dominate just as this game will in this era.

Uh there wasn't that much of complaints when WoW was released nor' in beta.

"Uh there wasn't that much of complaints when WoW was released nor' in beta."

Hahahahah are you serious? Dude the forums and in game were non-stop whining about the constant lag-fests, server crashes, downtime, and bugs. I actually played back then, I'd know. And yes, that stuff continued for MONTHS afterward. You didn't play back then if you don't remember that - it was endless whining. One of the worst launches in history.

Edited by Maloreon

Hahahahah are you serious? Dude the forums and in game were non-stop whining about the constant lag-fests, server crashes, downtime, and bugs. I actually played back then, I'd know. And yes, that stuff continued for MONTHS afterward. You didn't play back then if you don't remember that - it was endless whining. One of the worst launches in history.

I played back then, and had a beta account. I don't remember any of that...

I remember a little complaining here and there. But nothing of this magnitude

Edited by Xibz

Simple fact is, your perception of WoW launch is horrid.

They started off with a third of the servers swtor is going in with, They didn't have world zones phased and filtered, and they did it in 2004, 7 freakin' years ago.

I would imagine technology has maybe, even in the slightest, gotten better since then in addition to the fact you could still play WoW, to some extent and everyone suffered equally.

I played back then, and had a beta account. I don't remember any of that...

I remember a little complaining here and there. But nothing of this magnitude

Yeah you are lying outright. Everyone I know remembers the endless forum posts, loot-lag, server lag, crashes, instability, whining in game, etc. It was so in your face you could not avoid it. Maybe you never viewed the forums and played 6 months after release on a small server? Otherwise you are either lying or a Blizzard fanboy. Fact.

This release is mild, and by all accounts very smooth. You were promised 5 days and some given 7 and still people cried.

You want to know pain? I was at the launch of WWII Online a MMO by Cornered Rat, which was by all accounts released in an early BETA form. You have no idea how good you have it now compared to the old days.

I for one am glad not to be in the first wave. I am also glad this game isn't like the launch of WW II Online. The force is strong here.

Yeah you are lying outright. Everyone I know remembers the endless forum posts, loot-lag, server lag, crashes, instability, whining in game, etc. It was so in your face you could not avoid it. Maybe you never viewed the forums and played 6 months after release on a small server? Otherwise you are either lying or a Blizzard fanboy. Fact.

I didn't look at the forums much. Just occasionally. Can you stop with the false dilemmas?

I rolled on Archimonde at launch for WoW. The server died and stayed dead for about 4 days. It was probably one of the worst launches I've seen. This one so far has been significantly better

Really? Hrm I must have forgotten how bad it was. Didn't seem too bad from what I remember.

I remember hardly any lag or any crashes

Edited by Xibz

Simple fact is, your perception of WoW launch is horrid.

They started off with a third of the servers swtor is going in with, They didn't have world zones phased and filtered, and they did it in 2004, 7 freakin' years ago.

I would imagine technology has maybe, even in the slightest, gotten better since then in addition to the fact you could still play WoW, to some extent and everyone suffered equally.

^

this. the answer is in the details OP...

I agree, but I still dont agree with making everyone wait whilst the servers are all empty..... WHYYYYY BW! WHY U HAVE TO TORTURE US LIKE THIS ? WHY??? DOES IT GIVE YOU PLEASURE ?

Maybe you were in China in 2004 because i saw none of that and played from day 1. Most i have ever seen was a 20 min wait to get on a server back in vanilla.

Umm no. I have known over 100 people personally who have played since release (day one). Every single one of them recalls very clearly, as I am stating, the mass amounts of lag, crashes, server instability, loot-lag, whining, etc. It never stopped for months afterward. Queues to get into most decent servers were 1+ hours long (800 or so people usually, sometimes 2000+). And yet everyone kept playing it.

People like to whine about things they love. They will keep playing them like a complete crack addict though - unable to resist. Some of us show restraint when fussing that we didn't get to play here or there while others just endlessly cry like a baby. Also, this games launch has been smoother than any other by miles. And it will continue. See you in game!

Hey guys lets compare a game that launched in 2004 to one launching in 2011.

A game launch is a game launch no matter what year. If you think a launch gets easier you are sadly mistaken.

And the OP is correct is comparing WOW to TOR in this case.

I honestly expect Blizzard upcoming MMO will also have launch issues. Just maybe not to the poor level of wow's.

Edited by Romiz

lol the beginning of your post reminded me of morpheus' speech in the matrix reloaded