The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What makes Vanguard a tank?

SpotlessMind

That and the survivability that being a Vanguard gives you. Neural Jolt and Harpoon don't hurt either. You get a number of tools that tailor towards bringing attention to yourself and tearing it away from others so they're not getting blown away.

Sgen is one of the biggest factor in tanking. the other is that you're an attention getter; All the armor in the world wont help your friends if you can't say to the bad guys "HEY A**HOLE, OVER HERE!"

When it comes down to it, you also can be an even better damage dealer then the commando (dare i say), at the expense of greater ammo consumption.

In the end i'd say the vanguard's roles are: Tank, Attention-Getter, Burst damage

Edited by Walldude

Sgen is one of the biggest factor in tanking. the other is that you're an attention getter; All the armor in the world wont help your friends if you can't say to the bad guys "HEY A**HOLE, OVER HERE!"

When it comes down to it, you also can be an even better damage dealer then the commando (dare i say), at the expense of greater ammo consumption.

In the end i'd say the vanguard's roles are: Tank, Attention-Getter, Burst damage

This isn't true at all...we may have slightly more BURST than Commando's (but its very slight) but over more than 30-40 seconds the Commando starts to significantly pull away from us in damage....

The armor bonus, threat modifier and damage reduction are ALWAYS active. Only the extra damage is a proc.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but can you explain that a bit more please? What exactly happens when the ion cell is proc'd? Do I need to do anything on my UI to take advantage of that?

I know I'll get flamed for this, but can you explain that a bit more please? What exactly happens when the ion cell is proc'd? Do I need to do anything on my UI to take advantage of that?

The only thing that procs is the damage

The rest is passive. If you wanna see directly what it does open your character sheet pull up the defense stats then put on ion cell

Edited by BardaTheHobo

Thanks for clearing up the Ion cell proc thing. It really was my fault for not reading the ion cell in game description clearly enough. I just thought the proc gives all of the abilities.

So, it passively gives everything and only procs for damage.

Edited by SpotlessMind