The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How is this an mmo

Beevman

how is this an mmo??

mmorpg stands for massive multiplay online role playing game

which proves its not an mmo because im just a dude in this massive universe online with many players playing the role as a bounty hunter, oh did i meniton its also a video game?!

oh wait.... dang

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

how is this an mmo??

which proves its not an mmo because im just a dude in this massive universe online with many players playing the role as a bounty hunter, oh did i meniton its also a video game?!

oh wait.... dang

I'd say it's an mmo because if I want I can group with my friends and play together

how is this an mmo??

oh wait.... dang

Iseewatudidthar D:

I'd say it's an mmo because if I want I can group with my friends and play together

Yeah, but...

You can get in a squad in BF3 and that's not an MMO, is it?

You can group with your friends. Do an instance/map. The whole nine yards. But... that's not an MMO. Even though those 64 player maps might have more people in them than an entire planet here.

Not sure I understand your definition of MMO. By your way of thinking, any online multiplayer game is an MMO. Including: BF3, COD, Assassin's Creed Multiplayer, League of Legends and so on.

Yeah, but...

You can group with your friends. Do an instance/map. The whole nine yards. But... that's not an MMO. Even though those 64 player maps might have more people in them than an entire planet here.

Not sure I understand your definition of MMO. By your way of thinking, any online multiplayer game is an MMO. Including: BF3, COD, Assassin's Creed Multiplayer, League of Legends and so on.

The line is blurring, that much is certain.

Yeah, but...

Splitting Hairs..pretty much saying just becuase + looks like x mean they do the same thing... no they are totally different.

Can i randomly run into people? check

can i put a successful PuG together with no rl friends? check

can i be a part of an active guild with a great community? check

can i shoot the breezze on general and have strangers respond and start hilarity? check

Yep, it's an MMO.

I say it's an mmo because it is a massive game (massive), there is multiplayer (multiplayer), and it requires and internet connection to play it (online).

I thought it was "Massively Multiplayer." Not, "Massive World & Multiplayer."

Maybe that's where the disconnect is. It really doesn't matter how many people are playing (more people play League of Legends than this game), but it's all instanced and divvied up, so the "massively multiplayer" element doesn't apply. It doesn't apply to League of Legends in the same way it doesn't apply here.

I'm struggling to see this as an MMO. But, that doesn't mean it's not fun and worth playing. I just to choose to play it as a single player or co-op game, which it essentially is.

Nothing wrong with that.

This isn't a mmorpg really,

it's more a Massive Cooperative Online Role Playing Game

until you get to 50, then it becomes more a MMORPG in the traditional sense when it comes to raiding and PVP.

but until 50, think of this game as a COOP RPG. Similar to playing Neverwinter nights online.

You could play Neverwinter nights online with people but it wasn't a mmorpg, but you could get friends to help you finish quests, or help kill some boss that give ya trouble, or whatnot.

I think of swtor more as that. from 1 to 49 a Coop RPG then at 50 when you start raiding those epic operation/flashpoints and doing pvp with guild groups or friends then you get into the "mmorpg" side of things.

it's sorta a unique genre, but massive coop rpg's have been done before even back in the 90's with diablo 2 course it was a coop rpg all the way to the end.

unlike swtor which is coop rpg then becomes a mmorpg at the end.

at least that's how I see it, and others will disagree, which is totally ok, let the game be what you make it which is the cool part of swtor :)

it's fun regardless

I'll have to take your word about the post 50 game. I'm not there yet and have no plan on sticking around once I'm finished.

I'll do a Republic and Empire side character and complete the game, just as I did KOTOR and Mass Effect. No point going beyond that, that I can see. I'm thinking it will take me roughly two months to finish the game.

I don't regret my investment at all.

ugh. people really are nuts. If you took out the multiplayer aspect of this game, it would be an RPG, just like kotor, mass effect, dragon age, elder scrolls, etc. You add a MASSIVE amount of players (MULTIPLAYER) and play it ONLINE, you get MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE RPG. MMORPG. /thread.

MMOs have a persistent world with more than 100 people online in the same virtual world at the same time. Google where the "massive" part of MMO came from, and you'll see.

BF3 is no more an MMO than legend of zelda is a FPS because "I can shoot arrows!"

MMOs have a persistent world with more than 100 people online in the same virtual world at the same time. Google where the "massive" part of MMO came from, and you'll see.

BF3 is no more an MMO than legend of zelda is a FPS because "I can shoot arrows!"

I've never seen more than 100 people at once in this game. Ever.

It's "massively multiplayer." Not simply "massive." Utterly nebulous in its connotation. So, I'll say it again -- it's not "massive." As in massive world, massive zone, massive gear or anything.

Again, it's "massively mutiplayer." That means there is a massive number of players playing together.

Not simply logged on and playing in 1,000 different instanced zones.

To be honest, why is it so important that it be labeled incorrectly? People want to label it an MMO for some unknown reason, when it's clearly not. It's an extremely enjoyable co-op game. I can't fathom why that's not enough for some people.

Edited by Tarwaters

Yeah, but...

Actually the games you've listed qualify as MOBAs, Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas, which I would think fall under the MMO umbrella although definitely not RPG.

I don't understand this complaint about the game not being an MMO though. I see people running around everywhere. I group up with people and have every day since the 18th. I use the Galactic Market to trade with other players. What exactly is this missing that makes people feel like there isn't an MMO factor? If anything the game is MORE social than WoW has been in years, since getting a group requires you to actually communicate with people rather than just queue up.

I have friends in this game and I don't even group with them. Everyone is off doing class quests and fleet stuff. The global chat is super quiet and at 26 I have yet to recieve a group or guild invite. That is soooo strange for a morg.

Im forcing myself to log on.

Edited by Gildonbuc