To those successfull mercenary pvp'ers

Zuesy

What specs and attributes in your skill tree are you rolling? I'm only level 19 and am being successfull in pvp but i need to know what to spec in in my skill tree, Thanks :D

Hello, I am level 31 pyro merc http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300ZZfhrbdhb.1

I do not know how people measure success in PVP, but I do consider myself to be very successful in PVP Warzone. So long as I stay out of harms ways.

I'm not sure what you would consider success, but I always have far more kills than deaths, even when we're being farmed (I don't run a pre made sadly, guild hates pvp). I can't help but feel that the most important part about pvping, and especially about pvp'ing as a Merc is your positioning, as well as positional awareness. Being able to utilize knockbacks, stuns and highgrounds, the class is more about smart play, and knowing how your skills synergize. For example, I wait until I have full stacks of the armor rating debuff before I go on to do any nukes if possible. This ensures that all my nukes are doing maximum damage. I can stream if my play if people would be interested, but I"m only in my late 20's as of writing this. I am however an experienced pvp player, across multiple mmorpgs.

I can't help but feel that the most important part about pvping, and especially about pvp'ing as a Merc is your positioning, as well as positional awareness.

This. A hundred times.

Level 50 BH, sitting on about ~9% expertise rating. I'm currently spec'd:

7/32/2 (http://www.uberchar.com/swtorcalculator/bounty-hunter/mercenary/20300020000000000000203311022122122110321020000000000000000)

I don't take the endurance talents for a few reasons - one, I run warzones with guildies almost all the time and generally we have a healer, so I am not having to outlast the opposing team alone. Second, I see Mercenaries as more of the glass-cannon archetype where, if I let a melee get up to me, I will be losing the battle. With the 2-set bonus 15 second Jet Boost, Electro-dart, talented Rocket Punch and Power Surge -> Concussive Missile, I have a lot of tools at my disposal if I utilize them correctly. I also heavily utilize Stealth Scan to make sure Operatives and Assassins don't get the jump on me or my healer/huttball-carrier.

It's imperative that you learn positioning as a bounty hunter. Your best defense against melee is where you stand. In huttball, I primarily occupy the upper catwalks so I can easily Jet Boost/Rocket Punch offenders off. In voidstar, I use the pillars to my advantage and get bridge knock-offs. In alderaan, I take the balconies in mid-field and get right up close to the caps on the side-turrets (which also helps against stealth caps). All of these places have capabilities to swing the battle in your favor.

With all this in consideration, we are still not a 1v1 class. Good players will be difficult for you to beat as a Mercenary. However, in group combat, the bounty hunter brings so much more: high damage, heals, stealth scan, great AOE capabilities and good peels. I've saved many a huttball using Jet Boost to protect the ball carrier.

I've never once though we were underpowered. If you sit in the middle of the map spamming tracer missile, totally unaware of the operative that cloaked to the far right, then its not the class, it's you.

This. A hundred times.

I don't take the endurance talents for a few reasons - one, I run warzones with guildies almost all the time and generally we have a healer, so I am not having to outlast the opposing team alone. Second, I see Mercenaries as more of the glass-cannon archetype where, if I let a melee get up to me, I will be losing the battle.

I agree with skipping the Endurance talents. I don't think a negligible amount of endurance is going to save me from dying and I'd much rather spend those points elsewhere.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.