The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

"It's not an MMO"

Captain_Failure

Yeah the "this is a single player game" crowd are ridiculous.

1. This is only a single player game if you choose to play it that way. Which some actually do. However this will mean having to skip some quests or at least waiting till you've outleveled them in order to solo them.

2. Just because a mission is soloable doesn't mean you have to solo it. In an actual single player game you do not have the option to group with other players. You can in SWToR because it is an MMO. TADA!!!

3. If anyone claims they have solo'd every single quest in this game, while at the quest's appropriate lvl range, I will flat out call them a liar. there are some tough quests that need a group in order to complete them.

Conclusion:

A. Can SWTOR be played as a single player game? Yes, it can with the understanding that you would have to skip a fair amount of content.

B. Is SWTOR a single player game rather then an MMO? Absolutely not.

"This game uses instancing. No true MMO would use instancing."

Who needs to go to school again. Away with you, kiddo.

That's not how it works.

Sharding is not the only issue with this game. The issue with this game is with how everything is designed. Basically this game is a series of hubs and linear corridors, with nice set-piece paintings used to decorate them.

Nothing about this game is massive, from the hyper-sharding to the linearity to the compartmentalization. It's a static, microscopic, lifeless game.

That's not how it works.

Sharding is not the only issue with this game. The issue with this game is with how everything is designed. Basically this game is a series of hubs and linear corridors, with nice set-piece paintings used to decorate them.

Nothing about this game is massive, from the hyper-sharding to the linearity to the compartmentalization. It's a static, microscopic, lifeless game.

No true Star Wars fan would say such a thing.

That's not how it works.

Ah yes, I forgot how Tatooine was a linear corridor. As was Alderaan and Taris and every world past Balorra.

Stop saying words until you actually know what you're talking about instead of resorting to hyperbole and feigned experience. You bore me.

Ah yes, I forgot how Tatooine was a linear corridor. As was Alderaan and Taris and every world past Balorra.

Stop saying words until you actually know what you're talking about instead of resorting to hyperbole and feigned experience. You bore me.

Funny, I was only able to make it to Balmorra. I was in Nar Shadaa when I wanted to gouge my eyes with a spoon and decided to uninstall this boring hunk of trash from my computer.

This game bores me like you wouldn't believe.

I haven't grouped up as much as I did in SWTOR than any other MMO.

Whoever says they soloed everything obviously just either left /1 or ignore the hundreds of "LFM Heroics" in chat.

E V E R Y world I've been in, I have grouped up with at least 2-3 different groups. This is much more than ANY MMO out there, even more so than WoW.

I don't have a problem with people complaining, but all these threads and posts about SWTOR not being an MMO because everything is solo are just blatant LIES.

Guess you've never played FFXI. Anyways, it's a mmo, people need to stop nitpicking and either play or don't play. The end.

Funny, I was only able to make it to Balmorra. I was in Nar Shadaa when I wanted to gouge my eyes with a spoon and decided to uninstall this boring hunk of trash from my computer.

This game bores me like you wouldn't believe.

So you freely admit to inexperience yet make statements as if you know what the rest of the game as like had you actually played it?

Thank you for conceding defeat.

I suppose you could ask yourself the following.

What makes an MMO different from a single player online game?

For me, it's...

- PvP

- Virtual economy

- Virtual world/persistant world

- The presence of multiple other players in said persistant world.

and that's all, in reality. Crafting, combat, cooperative play, chat channels and all that stuff can all exist within single player online games. By this definition, SWTOR is not a single player game but is infact an MMO.

The issue I believe many people are seeing is to what extent is SWTOR an MMO? In my opinion, it incorporates only the minimum requirements to pass off as an MMO. Not the bare minimum since it has places such as Ilum and somewhat of a consumer economy. In addition to Flashpoints and Operations, there is NOTHING else to do that can be considered MASS MULTIPLAYER.

There is no RvR, no dynamic PvE events, sharding out the arse, lack of 'openness' caused in part by the multi planet IP but also due to map design (Taris and Balmorra do not need to be so linear but they are nontheless). Guilds have little function beyond again, the minimum.

I look at other MMO's that allow players to congregate en mass to defeat enemies and attain goals, I see other games that allow guilds to carve out an area of the map to call their own, I see other games that aren't so ridiculously sharded and have open environments (again, being walled in is not a result of disconnected planets but of design, not reason why zones on planets could not be more open).

I see SWTOR containing the minimal requirements necessary to actually be an MMO. To some, simply allowing others into the same world, allowing them to queue and fight in instanced/capped PvP areas only for reward and allowing them to trade materials at auction is enough, is infact suitable, desireable even.

I do not. I see so much potential in the IP and I can see this game evolving into something massive with mechanics that involve massive amounts of people, in my own mind of course. Reality is cruel though and I fear that in reality, Bioware will continue along the path of linearity. It suits the playerbase well, others find it mediocre when compared with the virtual worlds and indeed communities of past MMO's. The times are changing, no reason why we cannot continue to argue for game mechanics that made the older MMO's great though.

Just want to point something out to everyone saying that the game is too small and linear.

1. As others have already pointed out there are more open worlds.

2. Some areas are pretty enclosed.

3. This is not a (I can make the environment as much as i want cause I'm inventing the world) type mmo like wow. This is Star Wars, a world that already exsists and has pre detirmined aspects for certain areas. Like corasaunt for example a very early world in the game, is literaly a world constructed of buildings, not sprawling planet wide expanses it is literally buildings. Tatooine alderan ect.. are bigger because they are literally BIGGER in the star wars univers in terms of openess. Dont blame the game for sticking to the Star Wars IP that YOU payed for. You would not be happy if corasaunt was just one big warehouse.

Yes its an MMORPG!

Look at EVE online, basically the game is a massive amounts of instances on a single shard giving an illusion of being a massive open world. So I wonder if EVE falls in the same category of not being an MMO with these people?

The Old Republic is an MMORPG and is a very good game if you look at it for what it is, and stop trying to compare it to traditional MMO's. Its heavy on the RPG side. Its not PVP centric like EVE or Darkfall, and its not Raid driven either from what i can tell. It has a PVP mini game for now, and a co-op mission type game.

It is very much an MMO just not a traditional one, But neither is EVE and i played that for 5 or 6 years, so i am willing to see the path that Bioware takes with this game. If you are looking for high end PVE or PVP, this game is not there yet, but the whole story thing and character development is there, and so far i find it fun.

I suppose you could ask yourself the following.

What makes an MMO different from a single player online game?

For me, it's...

- PvP

- Virtual economy

- Virtual world/persistant world

- The presence of multiple other players in said persistant world.

and that's all, in reality. Crafting, combat, cooperative play, chat channels and all that stuff can all exist within single player online games. By this definition, SWTOR is not a single player game but is infact an MMO.

The issue I believe many people are seeing is to what extent is SWTOR an MMO? In my opinion, it incorporates only the minimum requirements to pass off as an MMO. Not the bare minimum since it has places such as Ilum and somewhat of a consumer economy. In addition to Flashpoints and Operations, there is NOTHING else to do that can be considered MASS MULTIPLAYER.

There is no RvR, no dynamic PvE events, sharding out the arse, lack of 'openness' caused in part by the multi planet IP but also due to map design (Taris and Balmorra do not need to be so linear but they are nontheless). Guilds have little function beyond again, the minimum.

I look at other MMO's that allow players to congregate en mass to defeat enemies and attain goals, I see other games that allow guilds to carve out an area of the map to call their own, I see other games that aren't so ridiculously sharded and have open environments (again, being walled in is not a result of disconnected planets but of design, not reason why zones on planets could not be more open).

I see SWTOR containing the minimal requirements necessary to actually be an MMO. To some, simply allowing others into the same world, allowing them to queue and fight in instanced/capped PvP areas only for reward and allowing them to trade materials at auction is enough, is infact suitable, desireable even.

I do not. I see so much potential in the IP and I can see this game evolving into something massive with mechanics that involve massive amounts of people, in my own mind of course. Reality is cruel though and I fear that in reality, Bioware will continue along the path of linearity. It suits the playerbase well, others find it mediocre when compared with the virtual worlds and indeed communities of past MMO's. The times are changing, no reason why we cannot continue to argue for game mechanics that made the older MMO's great though.

Your opinion, while wrong, is noted. Saying "while it is an MMO, I still think it isn't one" doesn't change a thing.

Edited by Captain_Failure

Yes its an MMORPG!

Look at EVE online, basically the game is a massive amounts of instances on a single shard giving an illusion of being a massive open world. So I wonder if EVE falls in the same category of not being an MMO with these people?

As you well know, no system is duplicated in EvE. The sharding in this game creates another version of the same planet on the same server when 200 people are on the planet.

Your opinion, while wrong, is noted. Saying "while it is an MMO, I still think it isn't one" doesn't change a thing.

I do believe I stated this is an MMO. It's near the top of my post.

Edited by Gryffin