A Definitive Watchmen DD focused Tree - An Attempt

Realik

Long time MMO players and D20 Nerd, just getting into this game. Been looking for what is considered to be the most objective "best" DD skill tree favoring Watchmen (as that seems to be the agreed upon best branch.)

From my understanding of this game, this is the best tree but i assume i am wrong, so input:

http://www.ign.com/builds/star-wars-the-old-republic?class=sentinel&d=1232302210210322023000000000000000000300000000000000000223

As we don't have any accurate theorycrafting yet, "the best build" is going to be speculation at this point.

IMO, your build is decent but I would sacrifice the points you spent in the focus tree and relocate those to Combat to pick up the 3% accuracy talent. Additionally, I relocated some of the points you spent in the Watchman tree as I think they are better utilized in improving Force Leap's utility and focus generation.

Also, Focused Pursuit is pointless in anything but a PvP situation. For a PvE build its not necessary.

Here is what I plan on going with:

http://www.ign.com/builds/star-wars-the-old-republic?class=sentinel&d=123030221221230202300000000000003020032

The only points I consider to be extra are 2 points in the Watchman tree. Its down to preference whether you want to reduce the CD on Kick/Pacify, or add 100% damage immunity to Force Camo. Interrupts are essential with our class, so I went with the reduced CD on Kick and Pacify.

Thoughts?

Edited by Dredknut

Long time MMO players and D20 Nerd, just getting into this game. Been looking for what is considered to be the most objective "best" DD skill tree favoring Watchmen (as that seems to be the agreed upon best branch.)

From my understanding of this game, this is the best tree but i assume i am wrong, so input:

http://www.ign.com/builds/star-wars-the-old-republic?class=sentinel&d=1232302210210322023000000000000000000300000000000000000223

Force Leap is a Focus builder. Nothing to ignore.

thank you. I assumed Force Leap was to be used largely to close distance more then to build force, but i will rethink that.

Also, i know the one attack is only good in PvP but that is the reason i choice it. Seems good to be able to keep people close so you can lay the pain on them :)

How important is the focus increase on leap though? 1 extra focus over 12 seconds doesn't seem to be worth 2 talent points.

I think that the deciding factor here will be what percentage of our damage comes from Slash at max level. If Slash is prominent, then Focused Slash will become a necessity.

Force Leap is a Focus builder. Nothing to ignore.

1 Focus compared to having on demand short CD damage immunity, Id take the immunity any day.

Im sitting at 30% crit in Hard Mode gear with few OP pieces. The 6% force crit is basicaly wasted as no force attacks are in watchman rotation and theres not much slash spamming, its just a filler when bleeds/merciless are on CD. Definitely not worth sacrificing so much for it.

My current build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRMfGzZhG.1

As already explained, Force Fade is life saver.

Watchguard for 6s CD interrupt as there is ridiculous amount of it required, especialy in HM FPs.

The extra accuracy is nice bonus that lets you grab some extra surge. Currently sitting at 109% critical damage with Adrenal buff which makes huge difference. Especialy since our bleed crits are guaranteed from zen and the dual wield talent is no brainer.

Rest of the stuff is pretty standard.

The two points on defensive forms seems like much of a waste but one extra focus by leap seems worth it. Focus is our limiting factor.

Everytime you get hit by aoe / dot / add you get 2 centering. Centering => 100% crit on bleeds => you can stack surge to ridiculous amounts as crit becomes less important => you get 5 2000+ Overload saber crits if timed properly. Defensive forms are damn good.

Again, not worth trading for 1 extra focus during opener. If you run out any other time to use leap as focus generator you will be losing out dps anyway.

Only time this talent will give you benefit is during knockback heavy boss fights.

Edited by Maddoxtor

http://www.ign.com/builds/star-wars-the-old-republic/create?class=sentinel&d=123030221221230202300000000000003020032

This is how I'd do it. The two points on defensive forms seems like much of a waste but one extra focus by leap seems worth it. Focus is our limiting factor.

It can be. I usually find myself in need of that one extra focus point to get an extra slash in or blade storm. (don't have Merc slash yet).

What about Jedi Crusader? If you really don't use Defensive forms, or get enough entering from Valor or don't think dual wield is really worth all 3 points. But If you rebuke seems like that'd net a good amount of focus, granted mostly useful solo and elite/bosses since needs to be attacked.

Edited by ErisktheRed

Again, not worth trading for 1 extra focus during opener. If you run out any other time to use leap as focus generator you will be losing out dps anyway.

Only time this talent will give you benefit is during knockback heavy boss fights.

?

I thought close quarters allows Force Leap to be used without backing out.

?

I thought close quarters allows Force Leap to be used without backing out.

Yes it does, my bad there. Likely confused the two links as one of them has no CQ.

To be fair though, the IGN builder is really messy. It shows points all over the place resulting in total of like 50 talent points :p

I woud still argue that Force Fade will benefit you a lot more in the long run, seeing it can block even attacks flying towards you. It has saved me countless times, especialy on Hard Modes. And being alive results in more dps than being dead :rolleyes:

Its 2 points for having 4 second damage immunity vs 2 points for 1 extra focus every 12 seconds.

If you are short one focus (which should only happen during unlucky Burning Focus procs or if your cauterize cooldown reset via Mind Sear and you used it again before the last tick took place) you just drop Strike in. Since there is no strict rotation but rather priority system its not much of a big deal.

Edited by Maddoxtor

• 3 weeks later...