Orange gear question

Mestrahd

I'm sure this is a common question, but I didn't see anything in the first 10 pages.

Is it true that all orange gear of the same slot have the same base (empty) stats? For example are all chest pieces 25 armor? I've heard that you can use any orange until 50 because they're purely aesthetic, which would be awesome.

Bonus question: Is there any way to add augment slots to existing gear? I have 4 crafting professions leveled to about 150 and I've only crafted maybe 8 exceptionals combined between them. It seems like there must be another way to use augments.

I'm sure this is a common question, but I didn't see anything in the first 10 pages.

Is it true that all orange gear of the same slot have the same base (empty) stats? For example are all chest pieces 25 armor? I've heard that you can use any orange until 50 because they're purely aesthetic, which would be awesome.

Bonus question: Is there any way to add augment slots to existing gear? I have 4 crafting professions leveled to about 150 and I've only crafted maybe 8 exceptionals combined between them. It seems like there must be another way to use augments.

All orange heavy armor chest pieces have the same armor but it'd be different from medium or light armor.

No way to add augment slots to existing gear, they come from critical success in crafting gear.

The base armor in an orange item with no mods in it will be 25. It gains more armor value from the armoring mod you place into it. The only way to make an item with slots is to get lucky and basically critical, or like you said make an exceptional item. Otherwise once you reach 400 you should be able to learn several orange items with slots. But those require hardmode/operation random drops I believe.