The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy Name Woes

NO_Walking

That's not a reason for them to be absolutely permanent across all characters. Try again.

Actually, that's exactly the reason, even if you don't like it.

Again, why? Why would you deny change to others who either made mistakes or had a change of heart? When has this ever -- from when they made the mistake originally, right down to this moment in time -- been any business of your's whatsoever? You had no right to know or dictate the name they chose originally, nor do you have any right to intercede and deny them change now.

You're confusing what I've said, I have never addressed the issue of fixing mistakes / regrets for the names. I have only been responding to Tannin. Not the OP.

All you have is this insipid, broken system, which you lean on like a crutch because it is the status quo. It's like defending the a 'certain' European government in the 1930s, or another 'certain' American policy in the 1850s -- throughout history, people have looked at corrupt, broken, or just flat-out wrong systems and rallied around the indefensible simply because they liked to be 'right,' even if 'right' was ultimately proven to be utterly wrong.

TANGENTS FTW!! :D

And you know when you're trolling? So, like, right now you're aware of it? Again, you've got nothing.

Yup, right now, I'm aware that I'm not.

Well...except the "TANGENTS FTW!! :D" part... that was trolling. ;)

Edited by Taelin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you delete every character and start over, you're still linked to your erased character. It's just flawed.

But you dont choose one name that every character chooses. If you go to a different server you can start over. I have a Legacy and its not active on other servers.

But you dont choose one name that every character chooses. If you go to a different server you can start over. I have a Legacy and its not active on other servers.

Why should it be active across even 1? Taking it further, if it's "essential", why ISN'T it across EVERY server?

While I've always hated when people name themselves stupid things that wouldn't ever fly in-universe, and I think people should actually put some thought into things before making a permanent decision, I agree with the OP that there should be a way to change it. Probably shouldn't be something easy/cheap so that people can't change it over and over, but I'm sure they'll add this in time.

As for the people who are pigheadedly trying to derail the thread...

I really really hope that Tannim is trolling, but sadly I don't think that's the case. If you don't like the system, you don't have to participate. But I'm sorry, your dislike does not constitute "bad game design." Star Wars is a universe built on millenia-spanning family/house names. There's a book series, a comic series, and even a tabletop RPG sourcebook that deals with the concept of these "Legacies." It is completely within the spirit of the franchise to build a system around character names. Also, myself and many other people who have played MMOs in the past have always wanted a way to let other people know who they are when playing an alt. This fills that need perfectly. I like the fact that multiple accounts can't have the same name. I like the fact that one account can't have multiple names. It would defeat the purpose of recognizing people's alts. If that was their goal, then I call that good game design. They've even allowed you the option of hiding it if you don't want one. Just think of it as an embedded ID number if you want. But stop saying that it's "wrong." By that logic, making you name your character in the first place should be "wrong" too. The whole game is tied to it. Can't get past the character creation screen if you leave the name blank.

And AJediKnight? Really? The same applies to you, but I won't bother getting into it because you invoked Godwin's Law so there's no point.

My problem with this is that it was not explained how it worked upon picking. I play the game and not the message boards. I came here because i searched for a way to change the legacy name when I realized it was not for ONE character only. My character is a commando with (what I thought was a character bound) surname of "Mightymember"... how the heck does this make any sense for my other characters, who lack the member-extension my big juicy cannon is!? If I make a female one with a blaster or two, perhaps I would want "dual member envy with failed outcome", instead...?

It makes no sense not to give an extensive explanation of what is going on, when it is happening, if it has any impact on a "global" or "server" scale, like this decision seem to have.

At this point I wish I would have picked something even more stupid and a big eyesore, so I could annoy some people more with it.

My problem with this is that it was not explained how it worked upon picking. I play the game and not the message boards. I came here because i searched for a way to change the legacy name when I realized it was not for ONE character only. My character is a commando with (what I thought was a character bound) surname of "Mightymember"... how the heck does this make any sense for my other characters, who lack the member-extension my big juicy cannon is!? If I make a female one with a blaster or two, perhaps I would want "dual member envy with failed outcome", instead...?

It makes no sense not to give an extensive explanation of what is going on, when it is happening, if it has any impact on a "global" or "server" scale, like this decision seem to have.

At this point I wish I would have picked something even more stupid and a big eyesore, so I could annoy some people more with it.

You could just have someone report your name as offensive.

Then they'll make you change it.

Haven't filled in the pop up yet, really annoying but don't want to complete it and regret it. Let me get this straight, ALL of my characters will share the same surname? This can't be right surely?

Yes ALL characters on that server will have the same Legacy name.

Choose with caution.

What I want to know is how much longer are y'all going to feed Tannim. It's obvious he is a troll.

At first I agreed with him regarding the Legacy thing being bad design, but now I have to say he's trolling.

Anyone who states they need a "good reason" but places no criteria just leaves the door open to say any reason is not good.

What is a good reason to have the current Legacy system? What types of answers are accepted?

I would just settle for not getting a "invalid legacy name" response when I actually use the last name of my character, picked a historical family for the names of my characters, and would love to have the last name of them for each of them but continue to get that stupid error because apparently it's not suppose to be a last name but instead some nick name like "hired gun" or whatever.

So in other words, you have nothing further to contribute and no real reasons.

I disagree. You're just being a giant negative, crybaby who wants attention. YOU, sir, have nothing further to contribute beyond the fact that "you won't be addressing a last name to your character", yet you're still in this thread. This reveals that you are either a troll or a bored 13 year old want-to-be special attention whore hipster trying to separate himself from the rest of the MMO community.

Stop acting like such a princess. This thread isn't about you. 99% of the world doesn't give a **** about your crying and whining towards the Legacy.

I, for one, like the system and would love to see a Legacy Name change implemented.