The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy Name Woes

NO_Walking

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Choose a name so I don't use it. What a wonderful implementation. It's stupid. and bad design. No reaosn for it at all.

No.

Just No.

Choose a name in order to gain access to the entire legacy system.

You get a crap-ton of Titles throughout the game, right? And you don't use all of them, in fact you can never use a single title you're ever given, if you so desire.

So, why do we get so many of them?? They're dumb! :rolleyes:

It's the same thing only difference is, this is the one time you get to choose the name of title.

I really hope you don't use ANY titles in-game, or your entire argument is just fail.

Edited by Taelin

No.

Just No.

Choose a name in order to gain access to the entire legacy system.

You get a crap-ton of Titles throughout the game, right? And you don't use all of them, in fact you can never use a single title you're ever given.

So, why do we get so many of them?? They're dumb! :rolleyes:

It's the same thing only difference is, this is the one time you get to choose the title.

I really hope you don't use ANY titles in-game, or your entire argument is just fail.

Nope, don't have any selected. And there's not need to have a name tied to the system at all. it's just bad design.

Why should I? I don't need a last name at all.

It doesn't have to be a last name. I plan to use mine as the name of a trade consortium, since you can have it display as "of the <name> legacy".

Or, you can choose not to display it at all. You're throwing a hissy fit over nothing.

Edited by Pastorfrog

WHY? Why should i pick one that I have to hide. WHy should there be effort made to NOT use a item. It's just bad game design

Dude, you are right. Ok. it is kinda lame but considering all the issues the devs are working on that impact actual game play and mechanics I don't think it's unreasonable to ask you to just relax a bit. I suspect the devs will get to it at some point in the future.

It is rather silly that the only way (currently) to gain access to the legacy system is by living with a name you don't like for now. But demanding it be fixed now because you and some small percentage of the user base don't care for it seems a bit over reaching.

You have made your point and I happen to agree with you. But my opinion has exactly the same weight as the opinions of those that keep telling you to live with it. The difference is they appear to be unwilling to be reasonable either.

But because of the groundbreaking play of those that have gone before me, I now know to be cautious in my selection once I finish Act 1 (which should be tonight).

WHY? Why should i pick one that I have to hide. WHy should there be effort made to NOT use a item. It's just bad game design

I don't think the legacy system is poorly designed, I think that perhaps you aren't creative enough to use it the way it is intended. There are several options for you to choose.

1) Pick a last name for your character.

2) Pick a legacy name I.E. "The Legacysystemrox Legacy"

3) Enter something unique in, hide it permanently and still reap the benefits of the system that will eventually provide cool bonuses to your characters.

So what we have here are 3 options that allow you display the system or keep it private by hiding it. If you feel that you shouldn't have to choose a name, you're just being stubborn. It's very simple to just type something in and hide it if you don't like it or you aren't creative enough to think of something clever.

To answer you question of "WHY?": Because that's the way the game is designed. If this is game-breaking for you and you either threaten to quit or unsub over something as trivial as choosing or hiding a legacy name, you are being irrational. Period.

It doesn't have to be a last name. I plan to use mine as the name of a trade consortium, since you can have it display as "of the <name> legacy".

Or, you can choose not to display it at all. You're throwing a hissy fit over nothing.

I'm not throwing a fit. I'm asking a question. You, however, have been a useful pawn doing my bidding. You bump the thread to the top of forums.

I still haven't had an answer provided.

I still haven't had an answer provided.

You've had several.

However, you refuse to accept any answer that doesn't conform with what you want it to be.

In short, here's your answer:

Life isn't fair... deal with it.

Edited by Taelin

I don't think the legacy system is poorly designed, I think that perhaps you aren't creative enough to use it the way it is intended. There are several options for you to choose.

1) Pick a last name for your character.

2) Pick a legacy name I.E. "The Legacysystemrox Legacy"

3) Enter something unique in, hide it permanently and still reap the benefits of the system that will eventually provide cool bonuses to your characters.

So what we have here are 3 options that allow you display the system or keep it private by hiding it. If you feel that you shouldn't have to choose a name, you're just being stubborn. It's very simple to just type something in and hide it if you don't like it or you aren't creative enough to think of something clever.

To answer you question of "WHY?": Because that's the way the game is designed. If this is game-breaking for you and you either threaten to quit or unsub over something as trivial as choosing or hiding a legacy name, you are being irrational. Period.

The purpose of threads like this is to provide feedback to the devs. People advocting for the system need to provide a WHY. They have no argument other than "It's the design". I've already stated why I believe it's bad design and that other games don't need a link. They seem to rely on "the programmers wrote it." That doesn't make it a good system.

Edited by Tannim

The purpose of threads like this is to provide feedback to the devs. People advocting for the system need to provide a WHY. They have no argument other than "It's the design". I've already stated why I belive it's bad design and that other games don't need a link. They seme to rely on "the programmers wrote it." That doesn't make it a good system.

Sure, feedback to the devs is fine. But you are incorrect in saying that "People advocating for the system need to provide a WHY."

The correct statement would be, "People who do not like the system need to provide a WHY and a suggestion for a change." I use the word "change" there because "fix" would not be appropriate. Nothing is broken.

You've had several.

However, you refuse to accept any answer that doesn't conform with what you want it to be.

In short, here's your answer:

Life isn't fair... deal with it.

A 2008 join date and you still don't know when you're trolling.

The OP is right -- the system is totally ***-backwards, and completely indefensible. In fact, he's asked you to justify its current implementation multiple times, and you've clearly displayed that you cannot field as simplistic an argument as that.

Sure, feedback to the devs is fine. But you are incorrect in saying that "People advocating for the system need to provide a WHY."

The correct statement would be, "People who do not like the system need to provide a WHY and a suggestion for a change." I use the word "change" there because "fix" would not be appropriate. Nothing is broken.

I never said it was broken. I said it was a bad design. I'm advocating they change this.

The OP is right -- the system is totally ***-backwards, and completely indefensible. In fact, he's asked you to justify its current implementation multiple times, and you've clearly displayed that you cannot field as simplistic an argument as that.

No one but Bioware *could* make a defensible arguement. The system is in place and I would argue that more people actually enjoy it than not. What does this mean? It will likely stay in place the way it is or with very minor adjustments. No one here *needs* to justify anything.

I never said it was broken. I said it was a bad design. I'm advocating they change this.

If you are advocating change, what changes are you wanting? Other than completely opting out of the use of the system and stating that you feel it was poorly designed, you, yourself, have not offered any suggestions.

I'm curious now.

No one but Bioware *could* make a defensible arguement. The system is in place and I would argue that more people actually enjoy it than not. What does this mean? It will likely stay in place the way it is or with very minor adjustments. No one here *needs* to justify anything.

If the intent of these forums is to provide feedback to the devs, you do. They will see other wise is a one sided discussion and assume the people who don't provide discussion are trolls. Noise to signal ratio. And the squeaky wheel will get the grease.

You want a reason?

Because people asked for surnames, and Bioware linked them to another system at the same time.

Here's a simpler one:

Because some people like it.

Either one of those is a perfectly valid reason for why the system is the way it is.

P.S. I know exactly when I'm trolling, do you? ;)

Edited by Taelin

Actually, I've seen a rather large number of people suggest one minor change that would make them happy.

Allow for a name change.

Here's another...

Allow each character you create to have a different name.

Neither of those suggestions would impact you, the player that likes it as it is and it allows those players that don't care for the system in it's current implementation to be accomidated.

But those demanding it be changed right now... take a break from the QQ already.

If you are advocating change, what changes are you wanting? Other than completely opting out of the use of the system and stating that you feel it was poorly designed, you, yourself, have not offered any suggestions.

I'm curious now.

1) Untie legacy from a cross server name.

2) Adding a /lastname command to let character to pick or not a name.

3) allow multiple people to have duplicate name. I know several husband wife teams that wanted to have husband and wife characters. Luke and Mara Jade Skywalker could not exist in this world. They would have different legacy names

4) Implement Legacy on an account basis, providing additional titles.

This would meet the needs of most the player base and still not change the original design intent of providing long time player bonuses and rewards.

Edited by Tannim

You want a reason?

Because people asked for surnames, and Bioware linked them to another system at the same time.

That's not a reason for them to be absolutely permanent across all characters. Try again.

Because some people like it.

Again, why? Why would you deny change to others who either made mistakes or had a change of heart? When has this ever -- from when they made the mistake originally, right down to this moment in time -- been any business of your's whatsoever? You had no right to know or dictate the name they chose originally, nor do you have any right to intercede and deny them change now.

All you have is this insipid, broken system, which you lean on like a crutch because it is the status quo. It's like defending the a 'certain' European government in the 1930s, or another 'certain' American policy in the 1850s -- throughout history, people have looked at corrupt, broken, or just flat-out wrong systems and rallied around the indefensible simply because they liked to be 'right,' even if 'right' was ultimately proven to be utterly wrong.

And you know when you're trolling? So, like, right now you're aware of it? Again, you've got nothing.

Edited by AJediKnight