A guide to the different specs in short for you( SS,sab,DF)

chimeraone

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hot pursuit sounds good on paper but in reality it takes almost no time when you move to drop into cover and fire the charged burst in succession with a setup of sabotage and speed shot which you want to anyways.. keep in mind hot pursuit doesnt remove the cast time so you will still stand there and cast the shot for 1,5sec then drop into cover anyways - in other words it feels a bit useless. This is my opinion though and the way i prefer to play.

Well said.

Hot Pursuit is incredibly overrated, IMO.

Anyone have any opinions on a SS/Sab hybrid for small gang PvP?

Unfortunately I've never played smuggler to 50 so I don't know how key Rapid fire is but my idea is leaving off just enough of the top of the SS tree to get Shock Charge and Sapping Charge.

You're basically keeping all of SS burst but gaining a permanent 30% slow on one target.

To me this really seems a lot like frost mage style, move, setting up the burst, with a ton of escapes.

hot pursuit sounds good on paper but in reality it takes almost no time when you move to drop into cover and fire the charged burst in succession with a setup of sabotage and speed shot which you want to anyways.. keep in mind hot pursuit doesnt remove the cast time so you will still stand there and cast the shot for 1,5sec then drop into cover anyways - in other words it feels a bit useless. This is my opinion though and the way i prefer to play.

Thanks, I didnt realize you still had the "cast time". I'm only a lvl 19 so I havent spec'd up to that yet. It was just on my worked out lvl 50 spec. I'll modify it then.

I could argue that Incendiary Grenade has more utility than shrap bomb. Shrap bomb requires a target, and while i am not 40 just yet (3 more lvls) it seems that incendiary targets the ground. For damage purposes yes this would make it seem less than fantastic, but it can be used both offensively and defensively as well as objectively. It can be used to break stealth, stop captures, as some one said, placed on top of you so melee have to stand in the fire to hit you and many more things. But going with this build http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rzMZrI0bRRrorsZh.1 will have a different play style than http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700ZrI0bRRrorcZGbbk.1 which will have a higher damage output will being more mobile. It seems like I will simply have to test them both out at lvl 50 to see which I prefer.

I could argue that Incendiary Grenade has more utility than shrap bomb. Shrap bomb requires a target, and while i am not 40 just yet (3 more lvls) it seems that incendiary targets the ground. For damage purposes yes this would make it seem less than fantastic, but it can be used both offensively and defensively as well as objectively. It can be used to break stealth, stop captures, as some one said, placed on top of you so melee have to stand in the fire to hit you and many more things. But going with this build http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rzMZrI0bRRrorsZh.1 will have a different play style than http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700ZrI0bRRrorcZGbbk.1 which will have a higher damage output will being more mobile. It seems like I will simply have to test them both out at lvl 50 to see which I prefer.

well yes and no - the area it targets is very small. They can walk over it and recieve no dmg as it ticks. it is nice to prevent capping, but if u die it stops straight away. and like i said area is small so they can easily stand outside of it. Try it and see for urself

Sounds depressing :(

I will most likely go with the shrap bomb, as that was the initial route i was looking at to begin with, and in light of what has been said in this thread, It sounds like shrap bomb is the way to go.

By the way, this has been one of the best threads I have seen so far.

Edited by Searc

I'd do the sticky request if I knew how to do it....

What about "No Holds Bared" it doesn't seem the points used are worth only a 6% increase in your crit chance.

Dont mean to hyjack this thread but there is a lot of good info in here and people who really know this class. :D

I'd do the sticky request if I knew how to do it....

What about "No Holds Bared" it doesn't seem the points used are worth only a 6% increase in your crit chance.

Dont mean to hyjack this thread but there is a lot of good info in here and people who really know this class. :D

well for a tier1 skill it is very good and 6% crit is always welcoming since it will benefit your dmg output in the long run. However as i always say, if you feel the points are wasted put them elsewhere - in the end its about you finding a play style that fits YOU:p

hi thanks for posting. thanks for taking the time to update this guide. the only criticism i have is that for the sab and dirty fighting specs you have mostly hybrids instead of mainly pure builds.

i am choosing to go df as i want to be different i do not want to be like 99% of the gunslinger population and go with the gunslinger tree. so that left me with sab and df to choose and since df is more mobile and less on cover and more dots that is what i picked. although the good skills don't come till later so i was messing around some with sab to start.

i caution from trying to get people to go hybrids. df is already the most energy heavy tree and then couple that with an already high sab tree and your asking for disaster. most of the dmg is back end and the skills are all at a high cost. 30/30/20/20 wow 4 abilities and your already out of energy now spam flury and wait for that 1min30 sec cool head if talented if not wait 2min.

here is a very good article explaining it. http://swtorsniper.blogspot.com/2011/12/building-lethalityengineering-hybrid-is.html

this is empire but the tool tips are identical and this article uses the tool tips so its relevant to us. i'm still leveling so i'm not expert either. so i am not a know it all. i just am letting you know what another poster had said that also had spend many hours lvling up different 50 builds.

i am not against hybrids totally just pointing out that b/c of energy its not a viable build going half sab half df and i agree the top tier sab talent is good if not better than shrap in df. the article goes on to say that scoundrel hybrids can be a little easier on the energy.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/smuggler/gunslinger/#::e3fe6fe4fe2fef12ef6ef16efe:

that is the build i'm currently thinking of going. 31 df/2 sharp/8 sab

the 3 points i put in sab for 15% aoe dmg and more dmg to sab charge is not mandatory. since sab charge is the highest dmg ability why not have your highest dmg ability do 15% more dmg? in df tree i choose the pistol whip over alacrity. the pistol whip i actually use quite a bit and its a high dmg ability. why not have 10% more dmg to an ability you use often and hits hard.

i'm lvling up with corso and when he grapples and enemy i can dirty kick from cover and then pistol whip df i will not be using cover much but to maybe use sab charge. even if i don't use the sab charge just the 15% more aoe dmg to thermal grenade could be worth it.

to me 15% more dmg is better than 3% ranged and tech accruracy. fighting spirit and bravado are musts i would say for df as they are the energy talents and this is the highest energy tree. remember how slow your energy returns when your below a certain lvl.

i picked up steady shots in sab for wounding shots increased dmg mainly which is one of df's top tier talents. hold your ground, quick getaway, flash powder, black market mods i skipped in df but the dirty trickster 2/2 is optional and could be changed. since your not using cover maybe the cooldown on defense screen could be more useful. not sure but seems removing negative effects on yourself is never a bad thing.

hi thanks for posting. thanks for taking the time to update this guide. the only criticism i have is that for the sab and dirty fighting specs you have mostly hybrids instead of mainly pure builds.

i am choosing to go df as i want to be different i do not want to be like 99% of the gunslinger population and go with the gunslinger tree. so that left me with sab and df to choose and since df is more mobile and less on cover and more dots that is what i picked. although the good skills don't come till later so i was messing around some with sab to start.

i caution from trying to get people to go hybrids. df is already the most energy heavy tree and then couple that with an already high sab tree and your asking for disaster. most of the dmg is back end and the skills are all at a high cost. 30/30/20/20 wow 4 abilities and your already out of energy now spam flury and wait for that 1min30 sec cool head if talented if not wait 2min.

here is a very good article explaining it. http://swtorsniper.blogspot.com/2011/12/building-lethalityengineering-hybrid-is.html

this is empire but the tool tips are identical and this article uses the tool tips so its relevant to us. i'm still leveling so i'm not expert either. so i am not a know it all. i just am letting you know what another poster had said that also had spend many hours lvling up different 50 builds.

i am not against hybrids totally just pointing out that b/c of energy its not a viable build going half sab half df and i agree the top tier sab talent is good if not better than shrap in df. the article goes on to say that scoundrel hybrids can be a little easier on the energy.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/smuggler/gunslinger/#::e3fe6fe4fe2fef12ef6ef16efe:

that is the build i'm currently thinking of going. 31 df/2 sharp/8 sab

the 3 points i put in sab for 15% aoe dmg and more dmg to sab charge is not mandatory. since sab charge is the highest dmg ability why not have your highest dmg ability do 15% more dmg? in df tree i choose the pistol whip over alacrity. the pistol whip i actually use quite a bit and its a high dmg ability. why not have 10% more dmg to an ability you use often and hits hard.

i'm lvling up with corso and when he grapples and enemy i can dirty kick from cover and then pistol whip df i will not be using cover much but to maybe use sab charge. even if i don't use the sab charge just the 15% more aoe dmg to thermal grenade could be worth it.

to me 15% more dmg is better than 3% ranged and tech accruracy. fighting spirit and bravado are musts i would say for df as they are the energy talents and this is the highest energy tree. remember how slow your energy returns when your below a certain lvl.

i picked up steady shots in sab for wounding shots increased dmg mainly which is one of df's top tier talents. hold your ground, quick getaway, flash powder, black market mods i skipped in df but the dirty trickster 2/2 is optional and could be changed. since your not using cover maybe the cooldown on defense screen could be more useful. not sure but seems removing negative effects on yourself is never a bad thing.

heya,

DF spec isnt hybrid nor is saboteur :) i made some hybrid at the botton of the post for those liking it. i do explain that you must keep in mind the arent as strong as fully comitted builds.

the df spec i posted is a 31/5/5 i believe and a 32/x/x both go fully into DF tree. sab tree i posted 2 fully comitted specs as well. think you need to look more carefully:p

as to the pistol whip argument, ali lowers channel of wounding shot, i NEVER use pistol whip as i am ranged and dirty kick increases my speed to get away. Others like it, i dont use it. :) i prefer ali as it is a stat increasement that scales and might prove useful as it lowers channel time as well.

Edited by chimeraone

I took your sab build and tweaked it a little:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700ZrI0boRrRMcZGbbkM.1

This is much more comfortable for me, because I'm investing in DF enough to make it worthwhile. And I feel Bombastic as a base damage increase to the two most common attacks is much better than Riot Screen.

To the quoted poster above: Fentanyl (the author of the blog you linked to) gives a lot of good info, but I also disagree with a lot of it. For example, he seems to have something against frag/thermal grenades, yet that's my most effective ability in both PvE and PvP.

I don't know how he manages to kill things quickly with a levelling sab spec without grenade cooldown (he recommends against utility belt), because if you throw a thermal against a group of 4 mobs you do twice the damage of aimed shot, in a quarter of the time. Plus you CC one mob constantly with the grenades.

This is a sab strength just as much as defensive ability. Sabs are more than just snipers with extra defensive moves.

A spec is really dependent on playstyle, and so I'm personally trying out both a 31 point defensive sab and a more hybridy attack spec.

Edited by StealthNerf

I took your sab build and tweaked it a little:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700ZrI0boRrRMcZGbbkM.1

This is much more comfortable for me, because I'm investing in DF enough to make it worthwhile. And I feel Bombastic as a base damage increase to the two most common attacks is much better than Riot Screen.

To the quoted poster above: Fentanyl (the author of the blog you linked to) gives a lot of good info, but I also disagree with a lot of it. For example, he seems to have something against frag/thermal grenades, yet that's my most effective ability in both PvE and PvP.

I don't know how he manages to kill things quickly with a levelling sab spec without grenade cooldown (he recommends against utility belt), because if you throw a thermal against a group of 4 mobs you do twice the damage of aimed shot, in a quarter of the time. Plus you CC one mob constantly with the grenades.

This is a sab strength just as much as defensive ability. Sabs are more than just snipers with extra defensive moves.

A spec is really dependent on playstyle, and so I'm personally trying out both a 31 point defensive sab and a more hybridy attack spec.

Added your build, and in the end of the day it's all about preference of play style and likes in talents according to how you feel you want to utilize things:o

I am level 30 at the moment and decided to do Dirty Fighting tree for PvP purposes. I can tell you honestly I come in the top 3 in damage 90% of the matches, and a few times I have come in 1st in both damage and kills in the same match. My tree choices so far are definitely fun for PvP. I can't tell if most of my damage is from my DoTs or from my AoE but my current build at lvl 30 is:

(0 SS/8 Sab/13 DF)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700ZMIZGbbkM.1

I started off on the Sab tree because thermal grenades are beastly and having the increased damage with the short cooldown is a force to be reckoned with in PvP. After that I'm going to take the DF tree all the way up and my trees are going to look like this:

(2 SS/8 Sab/31 DF)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700MZMIZGbbkrrhdhR.1

Agree with chimeraone that Alacrity is better than Holdout Defense because even though Blaster Whip is high damage, it does cost energy which I would rather spend on other DoTs or AoE. I never use it. If a person is close to you, you shouldn't be meleeing them. You should Dirty Kick/Pulse and get the hell away from them so you can resume being a bastard from afar. This is how you get your damage no matter what tree you choose. You shouldn't be in close proximity at all if you can help it.

My 2 points spent on the SS tree is kind of nice because you can just hop in and out of cover for 2 seconds and then all of a sudden you have a 20 second Cover Screen on you. If I'm understanding this ability correctly, you should have a Cover Screen on you almost always because you can keep refreshing it going in and out of cover when you get a breather. It was hard to decide between that and Bravado though. DF is a high energy tree so having an extra 10 energy would be nice, but I ultimately decided that an extra 10 energy is really only 1 more attack with a full bar. I think I would rather have the (semi)constant 20% ranged damage shield.

Anyway, any thoughts/criticism would be appreciated. AoE damage coupled with nasty DoTs makes me a DPS machine and it's a lot of fun throwing a few DoTs into a fray of enemies then running away and watching my kills rack up while I hide and they wonder where I went =)

hey guys. like i said i'm no expert. and i'm only lvl 24 right now so i'm a long way from 50. i was just pointing out that although hybrid builds look good on paper and in theory when most of the abilities are 30/20 energy each you can go out of energy pretty fast and would be hard to do a say half sab half df build for pve end game raids. pvp sure i guess you can blow your entire energy bar in 6 seconds kill someone and then walk in the lava and die to get a full energy bar ha. in df most dmg is on the end so you can fight a sage go out of energy in 6 sec they will be at 1/2 health take away your buffs and just heal up and kill you while you have no energy.

right now i'm using cover a lot when i go pure df later on when i'm like 40 or so i don't plan on using cover as much. when i'm in cover and say i'm questing and corso grapples a guy to him he's right next to me so i dirty kick pistol whip. i'm still in cover and i'm not moving. then i can do that pulse thing that knocks them back.

i appreaciate your constructive criticism about choosing alacrity over pistol whip, but to say that i'm an idiot for using pistol whip and that i should never be in melee range and that i should never use it is unfair to me. i'm not talking about just pvp situations as i just started to pvp but pve. if nothing else looks cool to me to kick 'em in the nuts then smack 'em in the head. when using corso every single mob he's going to grapple to you and so your in cover in melee range next to the mob. 1/2 the classes are melee and dirty kick does have a cooldown so your going to be in melee range whether you like it or not at some point. you have to be in 4 meters to use dirty kick anyways they are stunned 4 sec or so right? takes 1 sec to use pistol whip and you still have 3 sec to run away in which i use that leg shot to slow them down some more plus the talent of speed to dirty kick still gives me plenty of time.

alacrity especially for dirty fighting has very few skills from what i've read that actually effect it. for gunslinger i'm sure it will help more but df you won't even be using cover much and especially not much in pvp that's one reason to go df to not relly so much on cover. thanks for the constructive criticism and feedback though. i could be 100% wrong but every other post i've read said that alacrity was garbage especially for df tree which is run and gun not cover based mostly and more mobile. i do know later on you get that alacrity 1-2 min cooldown 20% more or something buff.

and to the OP i aplogize i didn't see some of the pure builds all i saw was the hybrid ones. just wanted to warn people beware of the high energy cost and don't count on bleed crits to get energy back. you take the highest energy tree df and couple it with the 2nd highest energy tree sabateur and its like taking a fat lady to mcdonalds to get a super size 20 piece nugget meal. just asking for disaster and as far as end game pve content you would be out of energy in less than a minute and pew pew ing flurry for 90 sec then having another 6 sec splurge.

so instead of people saying hey thanks i didn't realize energy cost was so high most of the good abilities cost 30 energy highest of any skill in game. instead of that i get criticized and try to make me look like an idiot. no the idiot thing is posting all these stupid half df half sab builds that are not viable builds i linked the poster that has been a real game tester like 8 months or so not a weekend turd that got to 20 one beta weekend and thinks they know it all. so put your foot in your mouth shut up read the post b/c obviouly he knows 100 times more than you do. HYBRID BUILDS FOR DF/SAB ARE NOT PVE VIABLE END GAME!!!!!!!! STOP POSTING HYBRID BUILDS LIKE THEY ARE GOOD OR VIABLE B/C THEY ARE NOT. THE ENERGY COST IS TOO HIGH.

http://swtorsniper.blogspot.com/2011/12/building-lethalityengineering-hybrid-is.html

again here is the post you guys should be reading this is a guy that has played a lvl 50 gunslinger 8 months and has tried all the builds. not a little turd that played for a week and think they are God b/c they hit 50 2 days ago. this guy has been 50 for 8 months! and has tried every spec every build as it was his job to do so. everythign is on that website i linked every single posible build for those too lazy to look.

"(if you click the above link and go to left hand column all the other builds are there this is why a hybrid of half sab and half df isn't a good build and for a "expert" to post stupid builds that aren't viable and teach others to do the same is a moron yes OP talking to you buddy and if you don't use all your abilities you just suck learn to play noob sauce. you can be in your box while i'm out of the box kicking your butt. i suck in pvp but i'm sure i can kick your sry idiot self hey lets use only 1/2 the skills we have access too b/c i'm never going to use a melee ability moron)

Playstyle: Massive single-target burst. You're basically a cover-dependent Sniper (i.e. to take advantage of the in-cover energy bonus) with a few new tricks. You can't run around as this type of Lethality build. I used my regular "Marksmanship" sniper abilities on standard targets and saved DoT+Cull for Strong/Elite targets.

Pros: Very high damage in a short window.

Cons: Unsustainable energy usage. Cull uses 30 energy (~1/3 of your bar) and is on a nine-second cooldown. In order to make Cull hit well, you also have to have both of your poisons (Corrosive Dart and Corrosive Grenade) on your target. This is only worthwhile on strong or armored targets. You're still pretty much drained after one rotation.

Verdict: It's fun, but impractical. It also eats energy faster than about anything I've ever seen (including the old Engineering tree!). I could see some applications for this spec as a build in PvP, but even then I wouldn't recommend it because of the energy concerns. In PvP you want to be able to use your CC abilities and many of those cost energy. This build demands a large amount of energy and locks you down into one role: single-target burst DPS. You don't even have the option of "sustained" DPS anymore.

I'm of the opinion that the Lethality tree needs a little help right now, especially compared to the Marksmanship and Engineering trees. Although the Lethality playstyle can be fun it still comes with prohibitively high energy costs."

to answer the guy right above me. first you know that dirty fighting is the HIGHEST energy tree but yet you skip the energy talent? bad idea. 2nd you say you want to use dirty fighting and cover. the entire reason to get the dirty fighting tree well one reason is to not use cover. df tree is mobile for pvp yes you can still use cover but mobility is where its at. i can camp up behind cover and everyone will be out of range where with df i can move up hit them put a few dots etc run back away while they are leg shot then i can maybe drop into cover etc.

sum is up df highest energy tree yet you skip energy talent. you get cover abilities when df doesn't even use cover much. both make no sense.

and like i said before just b/c you choose not to use pistol whip after a dirty kick when your already in melee range doesn't mean i'm an idiot b/c i do. i think your the idiot when you don't use a melee ability when your already in melee range. and your not a very good player if you don't use all your abilities. like the original poster said he NEVER uses that ability. i guess he's calling bioward idiots also b/c he's so elite and good that he will never use an ability the designers gave us to use. like they said smuggler is the hardest class to play and master. maybe the OP needs to play a easier class.

Added your build, and in the end of the day it's all about preference of play style and likes in talents according to how you feel you want to utilize things:o

I actually like this build, except for one thing. I switched Seize the Moment for Dealers discount.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700ZrI0bRRroMcZGbbkM.1

Both are resource management talents, however, Dealers discount effects more than one skill being used by this spec, and its a constant effect. Seize the moment will only effect Sab charge, every 1 min, and will return 15 energy. To me, it seemed difficult to use this well. Either A: sab charge is on cd when I use Sabotage to reset cds;

B: I have to much energy for Seize the moment to be beneficial.

For a PVE standpoint against a boss, both talents are great, as you can easily set up a timed rotation.

For PVP, it is much more difficult to do this, as the OP stated, you should be moving with the flow, and constant affects are more beneficial for this, as you know they will always work.

This will be the spec I try out for High dps out put for pvp, which I will then compare to this build, http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rzMZrI0bRRrorsZh.1, to see which one of the 2 I enjoy more.

Also, how do you request a sticky? Because this forum needs one.

to answer the guy right above me. first you know that dirty fighting is the HIGHEST energy tree but yet you skip the energy talent? bad idea. 2nd you say you want to use dirty fighting and cover. the entire reason to get the dirty fighting tree well one reason is to not use cover. df tree is mobile for pvp yes you can still use cover but mobility is where its at. i can camp up behind cover and everyone will be out of range where with df i can move up hit them put a few dots etc run back away while they are leg shot then i can maybe drop into cover etc.

sum is up df highest energy tree yet you skip energy talent. you get cover abilities when df doesn't even use cover much. both make no sense.

and like i said before just b/c you choose not to use pistol whip after a dirty kick when your already in melee range doesn't mean i'm an idiot b/c i do. i think your the idiot when you don't use a melee ability when your already in melee range. and your not a very good player if you don't use all your abilities. like the original poster said he NEVER uses that ability. i guess he's calling bioward idiots also b/c he's so elite and good that he will never use an ability the designers gave us to use. like they said smuggler is the hardest class to play and master. maybe the OP needs to play a easier class.

Wow you need to relax little boy. I never called anyone an idiot once, nor was I even remotely rude. And also you fail at reading. I didn't say I was using cover. If you read my post I said my 2 points in the SS tree gives me the Cover Screen buff (20% range defense) upon exiting cover. You don't have to stay in cover to get this bonus, all you have to do is go in cover for 1 second then right back out. In - out. Then you have 20% ranged defense for 6 seconds. It's as fast as crouching to get a buff.

This seems like a better allocation of points than having 110 energy versus 100. It would be different if Cool Head filled up your entire energy bar, but honestly during PvP how often do you have FULL energy? 10 extra energy is just one more (weaker) attack. It will only matter in burst situations when you go from full energy to empty. Since DF is not a burst tree, defense wins because staying alive and stacking DoTs is the main source of damage.

hey guys and i apologize for loosing my cool. i overreacted a little. hope you guys can forgive me. can i get a hug? maybe a kiss? muah. ok friends again?

sry for my comments that offended anyone. its just i felt like you guys were calling me an idiot if i used pistol whip when its a high dps ability after dirty kick 4meters your already in range. and in pvp guy might be low almost dead already so instead of letting someone else get the killing blow i will probably try to finish 'em off if i can. but you guys maybe 100% right alcrity maybe better even for df tree. someone said it helps on one of the top tier talents. that's good news as people before had said it wasn't good or could be but more data is needed to see.

your right i guess cover screen would be better. most of the time right now i'm at max range so i'm not really getting focused at all. i'm there is 2 on 1 situation i'm pretty much dead anyways lol. but you offered a good suggestion and i'll have to try it out. like one guy said all kinda depends on play style.

only point i was trying to make was that hybrids are high energy expecially df and sab. and df is the highest energy build i was suggesting taking energy talent. in pvp doesn't matter as much but for pve situations that extra could be huge in end game raids. thanks for letting me share. sry i lost my cool:)