Best spec for Solo PvP/ganking

thechimera

Basically, I'm looking for the best spec for running solo (open world PvP). I do warzones but I've never been fond of instanced PvP (yes, I know "open world" is now instanced too but it's still more unpredictable) and they're too imbalanced to enjoy at the moment... although pulling a level 50 Jedi into an acid pit in Huttball with grapple then finishing him off was too funny...

Anyway, at the moment I'm level 33 and Advanced Prototype spec. I've got a few problems with it:

• Damage isn't that great - there's lots and lots of abilities which have to all be used to get the most out of the spec

• It's kinda fiddly and some abilities are underwhelming (Retractable Blade... great animation, not so great damage) and flamethrower requires building up and standing still for far too long

• Relies on melee abilities for a fair chunk of the damage which are fiddly to get right in PvP with no autoface and lag

However, it is fun when it works... tbh the main reason I like it is the retractable blade animation and the heat venting.

I've been thinking of switching to full Pyro... but is it much squishier than AP? Does it rely on flamethrower or do you rarely use it?

The other option is full Shield or a hybrid spec. With my ion cylinder on I still put out a fair chunk of damage... but would full Shield spec really be able to put much damage out in solo PvP? Would I be able to kill healers... or anyone 1v1? In other games, tank-spec tanks are great against most classes 1v1 as long as they can't heal themselves.

I guess my priority is killing quickly before I'm found, so high dps would be better, but not if it makes me really squishy.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and I have ganked a few people in open PvP... a few troopers and a gunslinger. One of the troopers had a friend... a shadow... I've never died so quickly in my life, and the guy was lower level than me. I did have a poison debuff on me and was fighting a mob, but even so... would like to avoid that sort of situation again.

why would pyro use flamethrower it does not make any sense 0.o.. lol

anyways if you go pyro, your main priority is to use railshot and spam rocket punch and flameburst to get that free railshot proc also for an opening use Thermal detonator and IM since you need a dot for you to use railshot and IM is an 18 sec which you can just spam railshot whomever you planted it into.

why would pyro use flamethrower it does not make any sense 0.o.. lol

anyways if you go pyro, your main priority is to use railshot and spam rocket punch and flameburst to get that free railshot proc also for an opening use Thermal detonator and IM since you need a dot for you to use railshot and IM is an 18 sec which you can just spam railshot whomever you planted it into.

Yeah don't use Flamethrower as Pyro. I know it is the "Pyro" spec, but it really has less to do with fire and more to do with Thermal Detonator and Rail Shot.

There are 2 ways to use your Thermal Detonator. The above is a great opener obviously, and losing that much HP in one gulp makes people panic.

The second way is against healers that know what they're doing, or people being healed. It is generally your second Detonator.

Make sure incin missile is up, they're fairly low on HP, and you've got some heat to play with. Hit them with a TD and in the couple seconds you get before it goes off either Dart, Quell, or Carbonize (you don't have that yet) the healer (or target). Then try to time your Rail Shot so it goes off precisely as the TD does. This is phenomenal burst and should put them out of the fight. Using the focus target system they've built helps a lot for this.

If you're concerned with PvP while leveling then Pyro is definitely my vote. Adv Proto is ok, but Pyro is more flexible if someone gets the drop on you at range and the burst damage is insane. There are other ways to spec for PvP, but most of them don't turn into anything interesting until 50.

ST is really good for your leveling range. Rocket Punch hits really hard at this level and crits really reliably. Makes it a solid spec for leveling and grinding until about 40, but you'll level out of its "sweet spot" so fast I wouldn't bother trying it unless you like to PvE tank anyway.

I'm rambling. Pyro is my vote.

• 11 months later...

You have got to go Powertech Pyrotech. It is not the best 1vs1 dueling class but if you get the drop you can burst a huge amount off them from the start. Dont worry about Incidenary Missile for the Flame dot you will get that with flameburst.

Personally Id open with Thermal Detanator (must have in the tree) Flame burst to get your dot up and then hit them with railshot as the thermal detonator goes off. Any class who hasnt brought their Defensive Cooldowns up by then are gonna lose alot of of HP. Explosive dart no longer shares the cooldown with Thermal Detonator so you may even try and squeeze that in before the flame burst for a bit more burst.

Then its Flame Burst/ rocket punch. Rocket punch has a higher chance proc PPA so after the original opening I would Flame Burst x2 then Rocket Punch after a railshot as it can only be procced every 6 seconds. Thermal detanator/ railshot always as soon as its off cooldown.

Pull is invaluable especially somebody on a speeder or out of range pull them to you and bombs away. Dont worry about using any other dps abilities such as flamethrower. Apologies if you dont have some of the above I cant remember what you have at lvl 33.

When you reach level 50 Powertech Pyrotech is an awesome class for PVE and PVP stick with that you wont be dissapointed. Unless you find the advanced Prototype tree to much fun to sacrifice ofcourse :)