The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Mac launcher technical test sign ups now open!

JackieKo

• Dev Post

Hey everyone! 

As Keith mentioned in the Q3 Producer Letter, we’re looking into SWTOR being playable on Mac machines! We’ve been doing internal testing for a Mac Launcher, and the team feels comfortable opening up a test session for players who are interested in seeing how SWTOR performs with MacOS on Macs with Apple Silicon. For clarity, we are creating a native Mac launcher, not a native Mac game client.  The native Mac launcher is intended to automate all of the prerequisites and settings currently required to play SWTOR on a Mac computer.

We will be hosting a closed technical test for eligible players in the coming days. Here’s what we’re looking for: 

• Players who have an active subscription or Preferred account. 
  • Players who use a Mac with an M-Series Chipset: M1, M2, etc…
  • MacOS 14 Sonoma or newer - Older MacOS versions will not work during this test.
  • This is not compatible with pre 2020 Macs with Intel processors. To find out if you have an Intel-based Mac, following these steps: 
  • Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner
  • Choose “About this Mac”
  • If the window shows an item labeled “chip”, you have a Mac with Apple Silicon and you will be able to participate in this test.
  • If the window shows an item labeled “processor”, you have an Intel-based Mac and will not be able to participate in this test. 

If you meet the criteria above and are interested in helping us test the Mac Launcher, please fill out this form! If you are accepted into the test, you will receive an email with further instructions from us. 

Special notes: 

• While this is a technical test, the launcher will be using a live environment. 
  • This is a technical test, so unexpected issues may pop up such as not being able to log into the game or the client crashing. Should these issues occur, there will not be loss of data eg. inventory or characters.   
  • All technical tests will be available in EN only.

We will keep the form open until October 8

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

• JackieKo changed the title to Mac launcher technical test sign ups now open!

Any knowledgeable Mac peeps want to chime in on the difference between creating a "native Mac launcher" instead of a "native Mac game client" for SWTOR?  It's not clear to my non-Mac user self because I've been living with the assumption that a Windows application could not run on a Mac without modification of the application's code.  Based on Jackie's post it appears I made an incorrection assumption if the devs are planning on creating a launcher specifically for Mac that will make the necessary adjustments for the existing SWTOR client to run on Macs with M-series chipsets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Char_Ell said:

Any knowledgeable Mac peeps want to chime in on the difference between creating a "native Mac launcher" instead of a "native Mac game client" for SWTOR?  It's not clear to my non-Mac user self because I've been living with the assumption that a Windows application could not run on a Mac without modification of the application's code.  Based on Jackie's post it appears I made an incorrection assumption if the devs are planning on creating a launcher specifically for Mac that will make the necessary adjustments for the existing SWTOR client to run on Macs with M-series chipsets.

Linux guy here, but the process is relatively the same; Windows software can be run on either platform (or several others) through the use of compatibility layers. wine is the major one -- you call a piece of software through wine, and it translates the instructions into something a POSIX system can handle. It's not flawless, but it does work. Valve's proton is a wine extension specifically designed to work with Steam games (the Steam deck, after all, is a Linux machine), and I can confirm first-hand that SWTOR runs fine through proton. I imagine what's being discussed here is a launcher that properly configures a wine environment to run SWTOR on a Mac.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is such amazing news! I am really excited for the future of this game. Bringing a macOS launcher after all these years shows that this game has a longer life then any of us anticipated and also allows for a new wave of players to experience this awesome game! I can't wait to hopefully test this out! 👏🏻 🧡

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Dev Post

Hey everyone!

The Mac launcher form is now closed. We are ecstatic with all the sign ups that came in and are eager to get everything started. We will be reaching out to players with further instructions within the next week. 

Thank you all! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1