Well, I guess this settles the question on whether there is going to be any more voiced content this year.

So this is happening now which means that the next expansion is almost certainly going to be delayed until next year.

https://www.npr.org/2024/07/25/nx-s1-5052093/sag-aftra-strike-video-game-companies

Yes, I realize that there is a chance for a speedy resolution but, if they couldn't come to an agreement after two years, then they won't come to a quick resolution now.

• Sad 2

The next expansion should already be recorded but I have no doubt that this is going to be a gigantic excuse to get even less voiced content moving forward, if I am not wrong it was also during a strike that the KOTOR scenes started.

2 hours ago, KyraMalakai said:

The next expansion should already be recorded but I have no doubt that this is going to be a gigantic excuse to get even less voiced content moving forward, if I am not wrong it was also during a strike that the KOTOR scenes started.

Not necessarily.  Voice acting is usually done close to the end of development.  If the strike were happening in October, I might agree since any new expansion seems to come during the winter now.

But, at this point, I'd guess, IF, and that's kind of a big IF, we are getting any type of story expansion this year, then the voice work probably hasn't been done yet.

Also, I think that the Nar Shaddaa nightlife event was the first time that the characters went KOTOR.  Understandable at the time since it's a couple generic lines.  Storyline wise, a quick skim of the forums shows that the non-voiced scenes started 2 years ago although 7.3 is where it really became apparent.  Correct me if I'm wrong on this but, if this is correct, it was already starting to move this way before last year's strikes.

5 hours ago, DAWUSS said:

..................we're getting new content this year?

As announced in the livestream, 7.6. will be a holiday release, that is December. I presume 7.5.1 will drop somewhere between mid August and mid September

26 minutes ago, Thepyrethatburns said:

Not necessarily.  Voice acting is usually done close to the end of development.  If the strike were happening in October, I might agree since any new expansion seems to come during the winter now.

As far as I know, live service games and games that started development before September 2023 are not covered by the strike for the next 60 days.

As for when the game started using KOTOR scenes I can't be sure it was before my time, I think one of the first I saw was when recruting Xalek.

5 hours ago, Thepyrethatburns said:

Also, I think that the Nar Shaddaa nightlife event was the first time that the characters went KOTOR.

I thought it was 4.0 (October 2015), with the alliance recruitment alerts for Yuun, Qyzen, Blizz, and several others.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, psikofunkster said:

Next expansion? LOL

Next patch you meant (7.6).

and don't worry there's always the only text option ftw.

At this point, they may as well make a flashpoint, and call it 8.0. anyway.

• Haha 2

Or... if the'd change made all flashpoints to 8m content, we would have tons of new "operations" in no time without needing too much recources. 🙃

Some flashpoints currently take more time than DF SM, so why not. 😄

• Confused 1

While strikes certainly could matter (we don't know if this affects SWTOR or not, what contracts EA or Broadsword have with the game's voice actors), I think we can infer the main issue with the change in main story cutscenes is due to the number of people still working on SWTOR being halved when it transitioned to Broadsword. 

That figure was based primarily on social media announcements, and it could be even fewer people from the BioWare team that transferred to Broadsword are still there now, about a year later. 

In short, it's a staffing issue most likely, not one that revolves around paying the actors. A strike might matter, but the main problem is the team was at least twice as large at BioWare. And it's not like the game was overflowing with staff there. 

Based on social media posts last year, it certainly seems like the remaining team is happier to be out from under BioWare's management structure, and anyone that's worked in an oppressive corporate environment can relate. I'm glad for them. For players, though, it sometimes feels like the game was better off before the move. I doubt much would be different in what's updated, except scenarios that occasionally require a larger team, like making cutscenes for the main story, the occasional Flashpoint, better rewards for Seasons (compare the scope of season 1 or 2 to what's in the upcoming one), etc. 

Anyway, those voice actors have good reason to be striking, so hopefully their demands are met sooner than later. 

Edited by arunav
  • Like 2