Security Key bug

Samwilks

Hi,

I have began to encounter a bug using a security key to log in. This occurs both with the game launcher and the website! When I type in the current security key an error appears and prompts me to "Enter the correct security key code" despite entering the clearly displayed one correctly. It repeats this constantly for all the codes that follow it and has lead me to ditch my security key altogether.

Seriously, when are you actually going to update your frickin security key app so that its actually compatible with the latest android and IOS models? When are you going to actually fix the fundamental issues with this game? The security compatibilty issue has been known for a significant amount of time and you've made seemingly no effort to update it! Fix it please or supply an alternative that actually works and doesn't get actively neglected.

Is the time on your phone rigourously correct?  If not, it will generate the correct codes for its view of the date and time, but they won't be the right codes for the authentication server's view of the date and time.

1 hour ago, Samwilks said:

Seriously, when are you actually going to update your frickin security key app so that its actually compatible with the latest android and IOS models?

It's no longer supported, so "when" here is "never, or maybe further into the future than that."  They recommend using Google Authenticator, but any TOTP-compatible application will do as good a job of generating the correct codes (so long as the device has the correct date and time).

For reference, some others include OTP Auth (I use this, but I have no conflict-of-interest link with its developers), Authy, and WinAuth (runs on your PC rather than on your phone).  There are, however, many others, and WinAuth isn't the only one that runs on your PC.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Steve is spot on.

Go to your phone's settings and make sure you enable set Time/Date/Timezone automatically. The TOTP code is calculated based on a the current UTC/GMT time, so if you're out of sync, you will fail to match what the server is expecting.

The security key isn't proprietary to EA/Bioware/Broadsword. As such, the devs are abandoning the further costs and labor for the app. For what it's worth, I recommend finding a computer based TOTP password generator so you're not tethered to your phone just to play the game, and you can utilize copy-paste for faster and more accurate log ins. I use a browser extension that allows me to have the key copied to clipboard with as few as 2 clicks. I can then just Ctrl+V during log in.

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 1