Date Night - Going back and romancing companions?

I only romanced Lana out of the Date Night companions so I'm trying to find characters that can go back and romance the other three.

On one of my characters where Theron is still alive I went back through Chapter 9.  I flirted with him every time and then I got the prompt if I wanted to romance him.  I said yes but I am not getting the Date Night alert for him and it doesn't say anywhere in his contact bio that we are in a relationship. 

Can you not go back through Chapter 9 to start romances with these guys?  Am I going to have to find some characters to play through Fallen Empire just to do these Date Nights?

• Like 1

I think part of the idea of "date night" was to get people to level new characters from the start to romance companions because it's been years and about 50 characters since a lot of us had those options.

I'm personally waiting for guides on how to tell which characters romanced which companions or where you have to start in the stories to gain the option.

Edited by Darkestmonty

11 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

I think part of the idea of "date night" was to get people to level new characters from the start to romance companions because it's been years and about 50 characters since a lot of us had those options.

You're probably right about that.  I really don't want to play through the story again every single time a new date night is released for an original companion.  It's frustrating enough that they released content that you can possibly be locked out of due to choices you made years ago.

If it wasn't for the achievements, I'd be passing on date night altogether but I hate seeing that 0% sitting there. :(

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Screaming_Ziva said:

You're probably right about that.  I really don't want to play through the story again every single time a new date night is released for an original companion.  It's frustrating enough that they released content that you can possibly be locked out of due to choices you made years ago.

If it wasn't for the achievements, I'd be passing on date night altogether but I hate seeing that 0% sitting there. :(

for me decorations and yeah I'm in the same boat as you. I have over 100 level 80s, I'm not leveling new ones or trying to figure out who romanced who.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Screaming_Ziva said:

Can you not go back through Chapter 9 to start romances with these guys?  Am I going to have to find some characters to play through Fallen Empire just to do these Date Nights?

No, you can't.  It's the same as with any other story decision that you make in chapters.  The canon choice is the one you made on your first playthrough.  You can make different choices on replays, but they only persist during the chapter. 

Honestly, this is the only way that makes sense for a linear narrative.  The game lets us repeat lots of content, but I think most of it is not meant to be seen as repeated in-character.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Darkestmonty said:

for me decorations and yeah I'm in the same boat as you. I have over 100 level 80s, I'm not leveling new ones or trying to figure out who romanced who.

I think that most games (the ones I've played anyway) expect people seeking cheevos (or badges, or whatever they are called in whatever game) to be die-hard enough to do what it takes to get the cheevo. We usually are, but in this game, there is no way to get all the cheevos at this point unless you have them all since launch, so there are no real "badge-hunters" starting now who will bother with this. The whole point of cheevo seeking is that you can eventually get them all. You can't here, no matter what you do (again, unless you've been getting them all along and have all the "retired" and just magically removed ones).

It is very very apparent that no one working on this game (as a dev or whatever) actually PLAYS the game. This is just more evidence of that, as if we needed it.

I posted about this in Cartel Market Suggestions for some kind of Companion Romance Unlock kind of thing.  I agree it would be great to be able to do this with current characters (who may not even have any romances but who may want to start some) and not have to make a whole new character just to get to a date night without accidentally fudging it (some of those flirt options are just cringe, why can't they just fall in love through my own headcanon with a convenient romance unlock token that applies romance tags?).

https://forums.swtor.com/topic/934471-companion-unlock-romance/#comment-9808474

Honestly you DON"T need a guide to find out which character romanced which companion. You have the codex.

Look on the codex for the companion, it tells you.  Look at the standard romance for that class, if it's not there, then check Lana, Koth, Theron, Scourge, Kira, Nadia, Khem Val, Arcann.

4 hours ago, Shayddow said:

Honestly you DON"T need a guide to find out which character romanced which companion. You have the codex.

Look on the codex for the companion, it tells you.  Look at the standard romance for that class, if it's not there, then check Lana, Koth, Theron, Scourge, Kira, Nadia, Khem Val, Arcann.

In the *codex*?  That's new.  The info for returned companions and KLT is in the Companions and Contacts panel, but the info is nowhere for romances before KotFE if you haven't had the return yet.  Well, unless they added it somewhere somewhen.

Apparently, you can romance Lana per swtorista's guide.

https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-date-night-guide-and-achievement-rewards-lana-theron-koth-arcann-romance/#Other_Companions

COOL BUG: If you have already moved past Chapter 9 of KOTFE, and didn’t romance Lana, there is a fun bug right now! You can REPLAY Chapter 9, and when you get to the option to speak with one of your companions, choose Lana, [Flirt] with her, and say yes to the Romance. This will permanently place you in a romance with Lana Beniko and allow you to start her [Date Night] quest! This is great for players who maybe didn’t romance anyone but wanted to see a Date Night quest. I am unsure how this bug would affect characters already in a romance, so only do it if you aren’t worried about your character being in a romance with Lana.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

In the *codex*?  That's new.  The info for returned companions and KLT is in the Companions and Contacts panel, but the info is nowhere for romances before KotFE if you haven't had the return yet.  Well, unless they added it somewhere somewhen.

No.  It isn't in the codex.  And it isn't in the C&C panel either.  Well, not for the original companion romances before KotFE.

Well, well, I got it to work with Koth too with Ch 9. Go figure....  This one was tricky. I think you have to have all the "good" choices for him via the jump to Inflection Point for it to work. 

Hmmm Romance is active for Koth, but the date night mission is not popping up. Saw the "You have started a romance..."

Tried all sorts of steps to get the mission to pop, like visiting ship, logging out and back in, etc.  Then tried finishing Ch 9 and now it doesn't show that in Companion & Contacts anymore...

Tried starting Ch 9 up again and not it's all bugged up. can't see Theron to talk to him.

Edited by Saeten
addt'l info

I have a few level 80s that haven't finished their stories so I just pushed one into Fallen Empire.  It's easier than I remember (probably because I'm level 80 in max gear and I pushed the companions right to 50) but it's still annoying as ever.  Chapter IV especially with all the driving back and forth.

However, the absolute worst part for me is being nice to Koth. :(

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Saeten said:

Then tried finishing Ch 9 and now it doesn't show that in Companion & Contacts anymore...

Yes, that's normal.  During a replayed chapter, the new choices are recorded in the C&C panel, but as soon as you finish the chapter, they get reverted to the "first play" choices.

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2024 at 2:17 PM, Saeten said:

Unfortunately, just tested and it still doesn't work on my toon that got her romance with Lana unceremoniously wiped back with that bug that happened back when KOTET wiped a number of Lana romances.

I can romance Lana but, as soon as I leave Chapter 9 by any means, it snaps back to "no romance".

It's a pity because, when the whole thing started, I chose my SW to romance Lana because their characters "clicked" so well together.....BUT, I've had 5 years to get over that and just to form head canon (with the help of Youtube) that they're still in the romance.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Thepyrethatburns said:

I can romance Lana but, as soon as I leave Chapter 9 by any means, it snaps back to "no romance".

If you're ***replaying*** Chapter IX, that's completely normal.  Replaying chapters does not rewrite your character's story.

And if you skipped past some chapters to e.g. Ossus for Jedi Under Siege (including by starting at level 70 on a Commander's Character token), all the skipped-past chapters count as having been already played, with romances *not* taken.

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 3:32 AM, Shayddow said:

except characters that have skipped to Ossus, may be missing companions from the origin story, and may not (intentionally) have done Find a Findsman and all of the various alerts after that.

I know I have a ton of toons in this position. Many of them may or may not have started romances prior to Kotfe/kotet, and I'd never know which at this point.

Edited by Toraak

On 4/1/2024 at 2:06 AM, Screaming_Ziva said:

I only romanced Lana out of the Date Night companions so I'm trying to find characters that can go back and romance the other three.

On one of my characters where Theron is still alive I went back through Chapter 9.  I flirted with him every time and then I got the prompt if I wanted to romance him.  I said yes but I am not getting the Date Night alert for him and it doesn't say anywhere in his contact bio that we are in a relationship. 

This is a new one for me since I returned to play. How does this work exactly for my current established characters? What triggers it and whatnot. Is there a guide on how to get all hot and heavy with your companions again?

On 5/25/2024 at 6:47 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

And if you skipped past some chapters to e.g. Ossus for Jedi Under Siege (including by starting at level 70 on a Commander's Character token), all the skipped-past chapters count as having been already played, with romances *not* taken.

I did not skip any.

Originally, I had a romance with Lana.  Then, as you may recall, when KOTET dropped, it came with a bug that wiped a number of Lana romances.  Since I didn't know this until after I finished the first 2 chapters of KOTET, the wipe became a perma-wipe.